House was broken into.....
Yojimbo413 Wrote:What is this software to shut down the server correctly? I can not do it just by pushing the button?

its a simple addon which u can find info on unRAID's official website.
its called the unMENU
http://code.google.com/p/unraid-unmenu/

Yojimbo413 Wrote:What kind of connections do these build in cards use? VGA?

yes, u can use typical VGA connection since all motherboards have that
video output connection...
Tongue
"It's not cheap to have UnRaid to streaming file in full 1080P video with DTS-HD/TrueHD fluently. Just a thought!"

What do you mean its not cheap? Do you mean the cost of building unraid server? Or do you mean something else?

Any other way to shut down the server correctly? Or is the unmenu the only way? Will pushing the power button not work?

Thanks to all. You guys have been real helpful. Informative as well.
Yojimbo413 Wrote:What do you mean its not cheap? Do you mean the cost of building unraid server? Or do you mean something else?

http://ow.ly/1uaFv6
eskro Wrote:http://ow.ly/1uaFv6

Oh so that is what he meant. I thought he meant like my ISP would charge me more to stream from my own network.

Stupid me.
Tongue
Yojimbo413 Wrote:"It's not cheap to have UnRaid to streaming file in full 1080P video with DTS-HD/TrueHD fluently. Just a thought!"

What do you mean its not cheap? Do you mean the cost of building unraid server? Or do you mean something else?

Any other way to shut down the server correctly? Or is the unmenu the only way? Will pushing the power button not work?

Thanks to all. You guys have been real helpful. Informative as well.
It mean that it will add extra cost to build HTPC with UnRaid. It mean that you have have to have a very strong network for it to stream and playback 1080P video with DTS-HD/TrueHD audio fluently. It's recommended that UnRaid machine is connected to the router via Ethernet cable for best performance, and most cases the Ethernet cable is not accesible. If you want it to work with wireless solution, this combination might work- Linksys Refurbished E4200-RM and Linksys Refurbished WET610N. As you can see the price start to add up with UnRaid system. Just a thought! Smile
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
bluray Wrote:It mean that it will add extra cost to build HTPC with UnRaid. It mean that you have have to have a very strong network for it to stream and playback 1080P video with DTS-HD/TrueHD audio fluently. It's recommended that UnRaid machine is connected to the router via Ethernet cable for best performance, and most cases the Ethernet cable is not accesible. If you want it to work with wireless solution, this combination might work- Linksys Refurbished E4200-RM and Linksys Refurbished WET610N. As you can see the price start to add up with UnRaid system. Just a thought! Smile
A "very strong network"? Isn't Gigabit Ethernet commonplace?

If both the HTPC and the unRAID server are connected to a router or switch via Gigabit Ethernet, it should be fine. If it's only Fast Ethernet...maybe/mostly? (If your router doesn't have gigabit ethernet, you can just plug a gigabit switch into it, and connect all your wired devices to that. A highly-rated "dumb" gigabit switch can be had for ~$30-$40 from Newegg...)

Personally, I like to hard-wire these things (i.e. not using wireless), for simplicity, reliability, and speed (load/buffer times). I think 802.11n ("wireless n") should be able to stream anything fine, but that can increase the cost further. Having both the server and HTPC connected wirelessly may be a problem. I think even 802.11g should be able to stream most any compressed HD content in theory, but in practice load times will be higher, and it may stutter, depending on how much buffering there is.
sparky0 Wrote:A "very strong network"? Isn't Gigabit Ethernet commonplace?
If the router, UnRaid and HTPC are in the same room, it would be very easy to connect everything with CAT6. In most cases, UnRaid and router are in the same room but HTPC is in another room. I wouldn't want my messy router and big/noisy UnRaid box sitting in my theater room either. In most cases, the house is not pre-wired with CAT6. The only way to connect HTPC to UnRaid in another room is with wireless network option. As you can see without expensive wireless router and network card, it is not easy to get UnRaid playback 1080P with DTS-HD/TrueHD fluently over the network!

Oh, I wish that all the houses are pre-wired with CAT6 and life would be much easier! Smile
bluray Wrote:If the router, UnRaid and HTPC are in the same room, it would be very easy to connect everything with CAT6. In most cases, UnRaid and router are in the same room but HTPC is in another room. I wouldn't want my messy router and big/noisy UnRaid box sitting in my theater room either. In most cases, the house is not pre-wired with CAT6. The only way to connect HTPC to UnRaid in another room is with wireless network option. As you can see without expensive wireless router and network card, it is not easy to get UnRaid playback 1080P with DTS-HD/TrueHD fluently over the network!

Oh, I wish that all the houses are pre-wired with CAT6 and life would be much easier! Smile

My unRAID box is in the closet same as where my HTPC room is. I can not hear my unraid box. It's silent. And I do have a gigabit switch since my router does not have gigabit.
D-Link DGS-1005G
Beer40oz Wrote:My unRAID box is in the closet same as where my HTPC room is. I can not hear my unraid box. It's silent.
Since all your components are hidden away in the closet, it should be silent at the seating area and you shouldn't have to worry about CAT6 pre-wired like most of us either.

Since my HTPC is in the theater room, modem is hidden away in the utility box and router is hidden away in the armor and it's in the master bedroom, it's not possible to have HTPC and UnRaid in the same room. There are two 2 other HTPC's in the Den and Study rooms. Since entertainment center has built-in box, there isn't room for UnRaid box there either. It's only possible with wireless network. It's very costly to have a powerful wireless network to be able to stream 1080P with DTS-HD/TrueHD to all UnRaid! :mad:
Would power line work? Or does the sever HAS to be connected to router or switch?
unRAID it is recommended to be wired for the best performance. Find a way to get your ethernet cable to it and no problems.
Beer40oz Wrote:unRAID it is recommended to be wired for the best performance. Find a way to get your ethernet cable to it and no problems.

Ok. How about the HTPC? Would wireless or power line be alright for that?
Yojimbo413 Wrote:Ok. How about the HTPC? Would wireless or power line be alright for that?

Wired... to the server.
u can access your HTPC via wifi,
but when playing 1080P movies, u might encounter issues with playback.
720P its fine.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
House was broken into.....0