House was broken into.....
Beer40oz Wrote:Wired... to the server.

Ok. So the server is wired to my router. Now, would the HTPC stream 1080p ok over power line?
Yojimbo413 Wrote:Ok. So the server is wired to my router. Now, would the HTPC stream 1080p ok over power line?
Now, you see what I meant. When you start to connect all the dots together, UnRaid is not as simple as it sound. I used to own a big UnRaid box at my previous home, but every room is pre-wired with CAT6. It was ideal for UnRaid. When I moved to a new place, I replaced UnRaid with 2 big USB drives. I have Linksys powerline, but it cannot stream 1080P fluently.

If you want it to work with wireless solution, this combination might work better- Linksys Refurbished E4200-RM and Linksys Refurbished WET610N.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
power line, maybe, but its pricey
Yojimbo413 Wrote:Ok. So the server is wired to my router. Now, would the HTPC stream 1080p ok over power line?

If the power outlets you connect the adapters to aren't on the same circuit, you might not be able to get a reliable and fast connection using power line networking.
Wireless is not necessary but would have nice. I can just use ethernet.

But lets say I use the way you said. How would I set it up? Put the server into router with wired connection. And put the entertainment bridge near HTPC and HTPC is wireless?

My last HTPC was just wired to the router. I'm pretty new to this stuff. My buddy did everything for me. He not here now so I have to learn.

What video card should I get?
Yojimbo413 Wrote:My last HTPC was just wired to the router. I'm pretty new to this stuff. My buddy did everything for me. He not here now so I have to learn.

Since you are new, I recommend that you keep the configuration simple. Build a nice, single box solution for now. If you decide to expand later, the hard disks can always be re-distributed and you will still have a strong htpc core.

Check out this great thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=940972

Kevin
sparky0 Wrote:If the power outlets you connect the adapters to aren't on the same circuit, you might not be able to get a reliable and fast connection using power line networking.
I would say 99.9% of single family homes in the U.S are pre-wired with the same circuit.
Yojimbo413 Wrote:Wireless is not necessary but would have nice. I can just use ethernet.

But lets say I use the way you said. How would I set it up? Put the server into router with wired connection. And put the entertainment bridge near HTPC and HTPC is wireless?

My last HTPC was just wired to the router. I'm pretty new to this stuff. My buddy did everything for me. He not here now so I have to learn.

What video card should I get?
Well, here is what you needs:

1. UnRaid- connect it to Linksys Refurbished E4200-RM
2. Wireless Bridge- connect Linksys Refurbished WET610N wirelessly to E4200
3. HTPC- if you haven't made up your mind, this one will work too <One stop solution for bitstreaming w/ XBMC (hardware and software)> and connect it to wireless bridge.
bluray Wrote:Well, here is what you needs:

3. HTPC- if you haven't made up your mind, this one will work too <One stop solution for bitstreaming w/ XBMC (hardware and software)> and connect it to wireless bridge.

Thanks. You guys are real helpful. I been asking questions in some other place and they have been of no help.
bluray Wrote:If you want it to work with wireless solution, this combination might work better- Linksys Refurbished E4200-RM and Linksys Refurbished WET610N.

In my experience, streaming full bandwidth HD is hit and miss even with Wireless N. It depends upon your home layout, distances, obstructions, and the quality of the hardware.

What I am currently using with great success is a Netgear MoCA interface, which works over the existing cable COAX that's installed in the house. You can pickup a pair of these for $80 on eBay. Note that they only work with cable installations, and not satellite.

In any event, we are getting off topic. I don't think any of this helps the OP.

Kevin
bluray Wrote:I would say 99.9% of single family homes in the U.S are pre-wired with the same circuit.
My apartment isn't.

And how can what you say be true? How can there be 10+ circuit breakers for different parts of one circuit?
bluray Wrote:Well, here is what you needs:

Am I missing why he's going to need a $100 router and $50 bridge? I have a single router (DIR-655) with my HTPC and unRAID server hooked into it. My unRAID server is wired while my HTPC is wireless and plays back 720p perfectly fine with absolutely no issues. I am thinking that I have tried 1080p in the past and was successful, but I don't have DTS audio.

Why are you recommending the extra expenses over what I currently have? I'm curious, not being condescending or sarcastic.

Thanks,
boncs
bcboncs Wrote:Am I missing why he's going to need a $100 router and $50 bridge? I have a single router (DIR-655) with my HTPC and unRAID server hooked into it. My unRAID server is wired while my HTPC is wireless and plays back 720p perfectly fine with absolutely no issues. I am thinking that I have tried 1080p in the past and was successful, but I don't have DTS audio.

Why are you recommending the extra expenses over what I currently have? I'm curious, not being condescending or sarcastic.

Thanks,
boncs

I would try also the DIR-655 or whatever first to see how it streams via wireless first..... then if no good I would try to run a CAT6 cable.

But I guess it all depends where the router is and the htpc via wireless....
some say they can play 1080p just fine... some can't not.... it all depends in the environment.

But if you can run CAT6 wires and hide them then its the best solution.

So bcboncs your unRAID tower is hooked up to your DIR-655 via cat6 and the DIR-655 is also hooked up to your desktop computer right?
And your HTPC is wireless.... just so I understand....
sparky0 Wrote:My apartment isn't.

And how can what you say be true? How can there be 10+ circuit breakers for different parts of one circuit?
Apartment and condo are not consider as a single family home. It have to be a detach home for it to be considered as a single family home.
bcboncs Wrote:Am I missing why he's going to need a $100 router and $50 bridge? I have a single router (DIR-655) with my HTPC and unRAID server hooked into it. My unRAID server is wired while my HTPC is wireless and plays back 720p perfectly fine with absolutely no issues. I am thinking that I have tried 1080p in the past and was successful, but I don't have DTS audio.

Thanks,
boncs
It's depend on the file type and distance between your wireless router and wireless HTPC card. If it is two story house, it'll not work. I used to own a 5000sqft two story home. With expensive router and bridge, it still not work consistently. With 720P, no problem. With lower1080P MKV file, it worked fine with the wireless router and bridge. With full blown 1080P with DTS-HD ISO/M2TS BD file, it did not work. I think that the Cisco wireless router and bridge I suggested will do fine in a single family home.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
House was broken into.....0