House was broken into.....
Beer40oz Wrote:But if you can run CAT6 wires and hide them then its the best solution.
+1, house with CAT6 pre-wired is the best solution for all network in my book. If it is not pre-wired, it's not ideal because it's not easy to hide CAT6 across several rooms. With three HTPC's inside the house, it will be full of cats crawling everywhere! Laugh
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Thanks for all the help. I was just wondering about the wireless stuff. I can hook it up with Cat6, its not a problem.

What graphics card should I use?
Yojimbo413 Wrote:Thanks for all the help. I was just wondering about the wireless stuff. I can hook it up with Cat6, its not a problem.

Ok.... refresh me....

Ok do you want to build a system with a AMD APU Llano?

Then you don't need a separate graphics card.

Should we start over? ok what type of build you want?

You want an HTPC with win 7 right?
Yojimbo413 Wrote:Thanks for all the help. I was just wondering about the wireless stuff. I can hook it up with Cat6, its not a problem.

You're a little bit ahead of yourself. As I mentioned, you should concentrate on HTPC first. Well, if you have not decide on HTPC, this build should be able to playback all BD files at the highest 1080P video with DTS-HD/TrueHD audio and 3d too. AMD A8-3850 APU is the best all-in-one CPU on the market. You do not need a discrete GPU either, because it included a powerful iGPU (AMD HD6550D). Smile

1. Case/PSU: SILVERSTONE Black Aluminum and SeaSonic SS-300ET Bronze 300W ATX12V
2. APU: AMD A8-3850 Llano 2.9GHz Socket FM1 100W Quad-Core
3. MOBO: ASRock A75M FM1 AMD A75 (Hudson D3) HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX
4. Memory: CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3
5. SSD: Patriot Pyro PP60GS25SSDR 2.5" 60GB SATA
6. BD-ROM: ASUS Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE
7. Remote- OEM HP MCE KIT REMOTE

If you want to bitstream with external player using XBMC 11.0 Beta 1:
Another External Player Code, but Very Simple to Setup
Beer40oz Wrote:I would try also the DIR-655 or whatever first to see how it streams via wireless first..... then if no good I would try to run a CAT6 cable.

But I guess it all depends where the router is and the htpc via wireless....
some say they can play 1080p just fine... some can't not.... it all depends in the environment.

But if you can run CAT6 wires and hide them then its the best solution.

So bcboncs your unRAID tower is hooked up to your DIR-655 via cat6 and the DIR-655 is also hooked up to your desktop computer right?
And your HTPC is wireless.... just so I understand....

Here's a better understanding/idea. I know CAT5 isn't ideal, but it's working perfectly fine for me.

http://imgur.com/SdB3A
Cat5 runs just as fast as cat6 if you do it right.
I was thinking of going with the i3? As that was my old CPU. You guys would suggest AMD over that?
Yojimbo413 Wrote:I was thinking of going with the i3? As that was my old CPU. You guys would suggest AMD over that?
I'll take AMD A8-3850+iGPU over Intel i3+iGPU any night and day!
Atomic Zombie Wrote:Cat5 runs just as fast as cat6 if you do it right.
I don't think that Beer is debating which cat run faster. He simply said, you give the wireless a try first. If you don't like wireless performance, you can opt for any cat of your choice! Smile
sparky0 Wrote:My apartment isn't.

And how can what you say be true? How can there be 10+ circuit breakers for different parts of one circuit?

bluray Wrote:Apartment and condo are not consider as a single family home. It have to be a detach home for it to be considered as a single family home.

I realize this is OT now, but I want to understand what you mean...

So you don't like my example, okay. But you still didn't answer my questions. I see circuit breaker boxes in houses, and it seems to me that's one breaker per circuit, thus multiple circuits.
bluray Wrote:I don't think that Beer is debating which cat run faster. He simply said, you give the wireless a try first. If you don't like wireless performance, you can opt for any cat of your choice! Smile

Yes .... why go cat5 when you can go cat6...... we are redoing all the network where I work to category 6 ..... i mean you can go cat5e.... it will do the same as cat6.... but to just have a piece of mind just do cat6 is not as expensive as it used to be.
cat6 ftw!
Atomic Zombie Wrote:Cat5 runs just as fast as cat6 if you do it right.

With current tech, this may often be true. However, if you're going to the effort to lay fresh cable, it's not worth pinching pennies by choosing Cat5 over Cat6--if it slows you down or causes bit errors on your Gigabit LAN, of if you might want to use 10GigE someday, etc.

EDIT: drat, beaten!
sparky0 Wrote:I realize this is OT now, but I want to understand what you mean...

So you don't like my example, okay. But you still didn't answer my questions. I see circuit breaker boxes in houses, and it seems to me that's one breaker per circuit, thus multiple circuits.
Regardless of how many smaller circuit breakers are in the electrical box of a single family home, it is still connected to the same main breaker of the house. The smaller breakers are there to protect each section of the house individually. You can place the powerline adapters anywhere in the same house it still work. Smile
bluray Wrote:I'll take AMD A8-3850+iGPU over Intel i3+iGPU any night and day!

The place I am shopping from doesn't have the one that you mentioned. But they did have these two.

AMD A6-3650 APU W/ AMD Radeon 65XX HD GFX Quad Core Processor Socket FM1 2.6GHZ 4MB 100W Retail Box
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=61953&vpn=...acture=AMD
AMD A8-3870 Black APU W/ Radeon 6550D HD GFX Quad Core Processor Socket FM1 3.0GHZ 4MB Retail Box
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=66665&vpn=...acture=AMD

You guys would recommend going with iGPU over a discrete GPU card?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
House was broken into.....0