best way to have "home videos" in XBMC?
I have looked but I don't see any way to add non-commercial "home" videos to the database. I have lots of standard definition DV (digital video) in AVI container files recorded on my old DV camcorder and transferred to my PC. I would like to add them to XBMC but they are neither "movies" nor "tv shows". How can they be listed and shown in XBMC?

I also have some newer hi-def videos in m2ts format. Can the XBMC player handle this format?

Thanks.
Current Kodi: 20.2, Mariadb 10.2 running on Unraid server.
I have quite a number of clips that I have downloaded from the 'net also.

Mostly short documentaries that I have Stumbled-Upon, or found on YouTube, Wimp.com or Dump.com, but also some non-commercial movies (mostly about wing-suit flying, BASE jumping, and dub-step dancing).

I have added a source to my videos of the folder that contains all of these clips, and while they files aren't scraped like other movies and TV shows they show up in a folder under my "Videos" tab and I can browse them and play them from there.

When adding the source XBMC did ask me what sort of content it was (TV Shows, Movies, Song Video Clips etc) but I just didn't select these options - XBMC would have been hard pressed to find the correct information on most of them anyway).

As for the m2ts format you mention I would recommend adding the source as I mention above and see if it plays.

I have yet to find a format that XBMC can't play, however you can't scrape these 'odd' clips and have them show up with fanart or posters, nor meta-data (that I know of).
You could use nfo files as another option
Just make them TV Episodes, and create custom nfo files.

Add a folder.jpg and fanart.jpg if you like things to look nice.

Create a file called tvshow.nfo and place it in your home video's folder. Copy and paste this code, then edit it to your liking.

<tvshow>
<title>Home Videos</title>
<rating>9.900</rating>
<season>1</season>
<displayseason>1</displayseason>
<displayepisode>1</displayepisode>
<plot>Our home movies</plot>
<genre></genre>
<premiered></premiered>
<studio></studio>
</tvshow>

Now rename all your video files in this folder with the prefix S0XE0X, so your files should look like S01E01 Our Trip to The Beach.avi

Now create a nfo file for each episode, naming each nfo file the same as the episode:

S01E01 Our Trip to The Beach.avi
S01E01 Our Trip to The Beach.nfo

Inside each episode .nfo file, paste this code and edit it as you wish

<episodedetails>
<title>Our Trip to The Beach</title>
<season>1</season>
<episode>1</episode>
<aired>2010-01-01</aired>
<plot>Our trip to the beach.</plot>
</episodedetails>

There are some nfo maker programs out there, but I haven't found any that weren't terrible (although they may exist). I keep it simple and use notepad. It seems like alot of work, but honestly it's not. If you have 100 files, you can finish in a hour.
Upload them and use VideoDevil. Just make sure to have a different profile for the kids.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
ihaterich Wrote:Just make them TV Episodes, and create custom nfo files.

Create a file called tvshow.nfo and place it in your home video's folder. Copy and paste this code, then edit it to your liking.

<tvshow>
<rating>9.900</rating>
<season>1</season>
<genre></genre>
<premiered></premiered>
<studio></studio>
</tvshow>

Now rename all your video files in this folder with the prefix S0XE0X, so your files should look like S01E01 Our Trip to The Beach.avi

Now create a nfo file for each episode, naming each nfo file the same as the episode:

<episodedetails>
<season>1</season>
<episode>1</episode>
</episodedetails>

EXACTLY the way to do it.
It works for me just for the information of the main series.
Does not work for the single episode, when selecting "information on the episode", after search info, always says "no information found". Why?
(2012-01-01, 10:33)FishOil Wrote:
ihaterich Wrote:Just make them TV Episodes, and create custom nfo files.

<tvshow>
<rating>9.900</rating>
<season>1</season>
<genre></genre>
<premiered></premiered>
<studio></studio>
</tvshow>

<episodedetails>
<season>1</season>
<episode>1</episode>
</episodedetails>

EXACTLY the way to do it.

Following up on this old thread. How did you create fanart for each "episode" of your home videos?
Just take an appropriate frame from your clip.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Thanks. Do you turn the clip into a jpg? How do you get XBMC to pick up the jpg and associate it with the episode?
(2013-01-06, 11:10)apraptor Wrote: Thanks. Do you turn the clip into a jpg? How do you get XBMC to pick up the jpg and associate it with the episode?

Just watch your video and hit PrintScrn when the desired frame you want to use for your fanart is displayed. This captures a screenshot jpg file in the folder you specified as the location for XBMC to save screenshots (System/Settings > System > Debugging > Screenshot folder). Next, highlight your video in the video library list and press "i" to display its information page. Click the "Get fanart" button and navigate to the screenshot folder and select the screenshot jpg you had captured above. This image is now set as the fanart for this particular video.
+1
notepad.txt changed into .nfo files are the way to go. Once you get the hang of them there is no limit to what you can get in your library.
you can find more tips on getting this to work by searching - 'documentaries'
I know I have posted templates you can copy and paste for both TV shows and Movies. I still use them. I am not at home or I would give them to you again here. You can probably search my posts to find them easily.
here is one of them, I searched my username and 'documentary' and pulled up several
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...#pid894318
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Kingston rebates and ASUS warranties are WORTHLESS FRAUDS
I've made a small NFO creator in VB.Net to help me crate the necessary nfo file for my home video or those off categorized video that I have. I only have to implement some error trapping and I'll post it here in the tools sub section.

I also use it for my concerts recording that never seem to get picked up by the music video scraper.
In conjunction with the custom NFO's you can also organize your home movies into folders like regular Movies. So a main parent folder called "Home Movies" with each movie within it's own child folder. Each movie can then have its' own nfo, and artwork. Use the <set> and <sorttitle> tags to keep them grouped and sorted as a Movie set Collection within the regular Hollywood movies. You'll probably want to avoid any extrafanart or extrathumbs.

Media Library\Movies
Media Library\TV Shows
Media Library\Home Movies\2007 California Trip
Media Library\Home Movies\2007 California Trip\2007 California Trip.iso
Media Library\Home Movies\2007 California Trip\movie.nfo
Media Library\Home Movies\2007 California Trip\movie.jpg
Media Library\Home Movies\2007 California Trip\poster.jpg
Media Library\Home Movies\2007 California Trip\fanart.jpg
Media Library\Home Movies\2009 Yellowstone Trip
Media Library\Home Movies\2009 Yellowstone Trip\2009 Yellowstone Trip.mp4
Media Library\Home Movies\2009 Yellowstone Trip\movie.nfo
Media Library\Home Movies\2009 Yellowstone Trip\movie.jpg
Media Library\Home Movies\2009 Yellowstone Trip\poster.jpg
Media Library\Home Movies\2009 Yellowstone Trip\fanart.jpg

Code:
<movie>
    <title>2007 California Trip</title>
    <set>Home Movies</set>
    <sorttitle>2007</sorttitle>
        <genre>HomeMovies</genre>
</movie>

Good details HERE

EDIT: I decided to provide some of my own details as well.
I dropped the home movies in the Home Movie folder. With Ember Media Manager configured to "sort files into folder before each library update" I then added the source to Ember Media Manager telling it to "scan recursively", "only detect one movie from each folder", and "use folder name for initial listing". This put each movie into its' own folder.

Then simply Ctrl+Click to tag each marked movie, right click and chose "rescrape selected movies, "ask (requires input if no exact match), "Extrathumbs only". That performed an automatic "frame extraction" and created an "extrathumbs" folder for each movie populated with fanart.

Then scraped for "meta data only".

I then edited each movie in Ember, put the year, plot outline, plot, family members as actors, director, runtime, camera used as "video source", custom "Home Movies" genre, and lastly selected a poster and main fanart from the local extrathumbs folder.

I used Tools, Sets Manager to create a Home Movies set and assign the movies to it.

Then deleted the extrathumbs folder.
HTPC: Dell Optiplex 7050 SFF i7-7700 quad-core, 3.6GHz, 16GB
NAS: Synology DS1813+ and DX513, Hybrid RAID (SHR) 48TB usable space
My Media Center | www.CaptainKen.us | www.YouTube.com/KenInGilbert
I decided to throw together a quick down and dirty demo of how I setup and added my home Movies to XBMC as well as the how they appear in XBMC.
http://youtu.be/UNpU7gvD2qo
HTPC: Dell Optiplex 7050 SFF i7-7700 quad-core, 3.6GHz, 16GB
NAS: Synology DS1813+ and DX513, Hybrid RAID (SHR) 48TB usable space
My Media Center | www.CaptainKen.us | www.YouTube.com/KenInGilbert

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
best way to have "home videos" in XBMC?2