Turning off auto-updates on ATV2 4.4.4 (Eden beta 1)
This may be a stupid question. I just installed untethered ATV2 software 4.4.4 with Seas0nPass, as well as XBMC Eden beta. I was wondering whether I should do anything to prevent the ATV2 from automatically updating its software. I no longer see a way to turn this off.
see the faq.
Eden beta 1 installs UpdateBeGone automatically, so in theory you should be okay.
Ned Scott Wrote:Eden beta 1 installs UpdateBeGone automatically, so in theory you should be okay.

Really? Is this still the case with beta 2?
How can I confirm that I have updatebegone installed?

Thanks so much. I really don't want to have Apple do something to mess up my now perfect aTV.
ssh in and execute:

Code:
cat /etc/hosts

If there are 3 apple entries in there pointing to 127.0.0.1 then the updatebegone should be enabled and working.
premiso Wrote:ssh in and execute:

Code:
cat /etc/hosts

If there are 3 apple entries in there pointing to 127.0.0.1 then the updatebegone should be enabled and working.
Not sure I got this right (or how to tell which are "apple entries"). This is what I get in response to cat /etc/hosts

##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1 localhost
fe80::1%lo0 localhost
Then it doesn't seem to be "setup".

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...le_updates

Follow that, notably the 3rd item on that list.
updatebegone only stops frontrow from pushing out a dialog announcing the update. to block it, you need to block it at /etc/hosts.
davilla Wrote:updatebegone only stops frontrow from pushing out a dialog announcing the update. to block it, you need to block it at /etc/hosts.

Is there a wiki or guide somewhere to show how to do that?
rcrh Wrote:Is there a wiki or guide somewhere to show how to do that?

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...le_updates

The faqs are there for a reason Smile
Wink 
davilla Wrote:http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...le_updates

The faqs are there for a reason Smile

Sorry to force you to resort to happy faces. I started this quest with that faq (which is why I knew about updatebegone). I also knew that most of what nitotv does isn't needed by XBMC so I wanted to make sure these were still right with Eden. Finally, I couldn't follow what the many references to "the issue" in the faq were referring to. The comments in this thread seem to suggest that faq should just say 1) install updatebegone, 2) edit /etc/hosts.

Oh well. I appreciate the help and don't really mind playing the fool if that's the cost of admission.

:confused2:
rcrh Wrote:Oh well. I appreciate the help and don't really mind playing the fool if that's the cost of admission.

A happy face is a very light ponk. It's there because you can't see me smile. If your post really annoyed me, I would have never answered much less post an url to the fix.

EDIT: 43 to go.
davilla Wrote:A happy face is a very light ponk. It's there because you can't see me smile. If your post really annoyed me, I would have never answered much less post an url to the fix.

EDIT: 43 to go.

No harm, no foul.
Thanks for the help. It really is appreciated.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Turning off auto-updates on ATV2 4.4.4 (Eden beta 1)0