Eden beta1 - black login screen on startup
Mine too. Smile
But where is the asker? Smile))
Here I am! I have had no time yet to try one of those solutions. Very busy here sorry :/

I'll give it a go this evening and report back. Thanks!
so I finally had time to fix it.

tried this solution:

adriankoooo Wrote:Hi!

Forget all tips before... Smile

Here is what you need:

http://shadower16.wordpress.com/2011/10/...nightlies/

In short: xbmc-live is not compatible with Eden. You don't need it.

You should create a sudo nano /etc/init/xbmc.conf file. More info in the blog post.

it worked at first try! THANKS! Smile
stokedfish Wrote:so I finally had time to fix it.

tried this solution:

it worked at first try! THANKS! Smile

And looks like there is now an Eden compatible xbmc-live in the official unstable repo.
You need a xbmc user and install xbmc-live package + restart.
I have a minimal ubuntu 11.10 box with xbmc-standalone. I upgraded today to Eden RC2.

I've experienced the same problems with automatic startup of XBMC as the topic starter. I fixed them by purging xbmc-live. lightdm works very well in RC2 on oneiric, the additional configuration files described by ernham (lightdm.conf, XBMC.desktop) seem to be already included in this build.

Everything else worked just fine, I had to install libmad0 though (missing dependency?) in order to play music.
I've tried a number of threads and countless hours trying other people's solutions and even got a couple machines working--however most unsuccessful until found useful solution.

Just so I'm on the same page, here is what I understand is going on here as simple as I can state.

1. Install XBMCLive (v10 Dharma)
--now want to update system and upgrade XBMC to Eden (v11)
2. From ssh, sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get install xbmc
--upon restart, login screen instead of XBMC

Without sudo I added the line @reboot startx to the main user's crontab. This started X on boot which then allowed XBMC Eden to launch on startup.

For those need code:

Code:
crontab -e

@reboot startx

I'm sure there are more appropriate solutions, but this seemed to work on all the different machines I played around with and certainly the easiest!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Eden beta1 - black login screen on startup0