[Suggestion] Common folder for video/audio/music thumbnails.
Hi there.

Xbmc tries to load item's thumbnail from the item's own folder. What happens when the isn't one? User needs to manually point one (library mode).

Can there be a alternative folder for the Xbmc to seek thumbnails &/ fanart?
in Advancedsettings.xml there could be Settings for video/audio/music/ to have the unc/path for common thumbnail folder with fanarts.

There is already <dvdthumbs>, <fanart> and <musicthumbs> but with no alternative path pointer..

Case: When scrapping a vast number of Movies from IMDB, all movies does not have a cover / fanart hence in Library mode system does not have cover to show. User needs to manually point one.

Xbmc could seek & attach automatically cover to the movie from another place than from the same folder as the movie.
it auto-grabs in scrape.
If locally available it will grab 1 these files,
For Posters:
Quote:folder.jpg, movie.tbn, <movie name>.tbn
For Fanart:
Quote:fanart.jpg, <movie name>-fanart.jpg

if they are not locally available, they will download from theMovieDB.org (check your scrape settings to see if the IMDB scrapper is set to grab pics from there)

A similar process is done to music as well.

Remember:
If it ain't broke, don't fix it
isamu.dragon Wrote:it auto-grabs in scrape.

True, but Xbmc should grab them in user-given alternative path like \\server1\MovieThumbs\<movie name.tbn> if primary or scrapper does not have it
Why? It makes no sense. If you're going to grab them manually as it is, put them in the folder with the movie/show where they belong. There is zero reason to put them into a separate folder.
YodaEXE Wrote:Why? It makes no sense. If you're going to grab them manually as it is, put them in the folder with the movie/show where they belong. There is zero reason to put them into a separate folder.

No. I will not do anything manually. The idea is to get automation as much as possible.

When installing Xbmc, the library is empty. Sources.xml has physical links to movies. I set the content of ONE folder to be IMDB scrapping.

Xbmc will start automatically to construct Videolibrary with appx 500 movies items. All specs are scraped from IMDB, covers and fanarts aswell. All the movies are exact imdb name hit, like "Die Hard (1988)".iso

Some of the Movies in IMDB (that I have) do not have covers there. With this case It would be great IF XBMC could look also into ONE common VideoCover folder that I HAVE pointed, like "c:\thumbsForMovies\".

Many sites used for scraping does not except copyright material like covers, hence personal storage is better.

The Place where My Movies are is pure and just for the .iso files. There will not be anything else, no movie.tbn, .nfos or similar. I have My reasons. And it's not the point actually what Do I have.

The settings could also have "override flag" for the Scapper to look 1st for the User Given cover folder..

I idea is to create possibilites for the system to act more automatic. I believe the implementation of such alternative cover-lookup is quite easy to integrate. And do not start with the "well, do it your self then" nonsense. I don't know how.
realjobe Wrote:No. I will not do anything manually. The idea is to get automation as much as possible.

When installing Xbmc, the library is empty. Sources.xml has physical links to movies. I set the content of ONE folder to be IMDB scrapping.

Xbmc will start automatically to construct Videolibrary with appx 500 movies items. All specs are scraped from IMDB, covers and fanarts aswell. All the movies are exact imdb name hit, like "Die Hard (1988)".iso

Some of the Movies in IMDB (that I have) do not have covers there. With this case It would be great IF XBMC could look also into ONE common VideoCover folder that I HAVE pointed, like "c:\thumbsForMovies\".

The Place where My Movies are is pure and just for the .iso files. There will not be anything else, no movie.tbn, .nfos or similar. I have My reasons. And it's not the point actually what Do I have.

The settings could also have "override flag" for the Scapper to look 1st for the User Given cover folder..

I idea is to create possibilites for the system to act more automatic. I believe the implementation of such alternative cover-lookup is quite integrate. And do not start with the "well, do it your self then" nonsense. I don't know how.
you will do something manual: you grab the fanart manual and you put it manual in that custom folder.
Why not help out the community and share that artwork on IMDB or themoviedb.org?
To me that makes much more sense going trough al the trouble you suggest and it isn't that much work.

I do agree that there should be an option for centralized artwork but not exactly how you propose.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Martijn Wrote:share that artwork on IMDB or themoviedb.org

True, That would be actually the best solution, and I've done that with TheTVDB about series plots. I wrote DVD series specs into the site, but they were deleted due to a copyright issues (yes, text is also copyright material). Site was sued/warned at least once..

Well... I'm not going to pay 35$ to IMDB to add the cover to a movie that has no cover already... And I do not use themoviedb... Smile
realjobe Wrote:True, That would be actually the best solution, and I've done that with TheTVDB about series plots. I wrote DVD series specs into the site, but they were deleted due to a copyright issues (yes, text is also copyright material).

Well... I'm not going to pay 35$ to IMDB to add the cover to a movie that has no cover already... And I do not use themoviedb... Smile

I heard that on tvdb are very strict although they only obay the copyright rules.
It's a very hard subject.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
The IMDB scrapper uses theMovieDB for posters and Fanart, so why not contribute art to there?
I think one of the best arguments for a centralized place to "scrape" local art is the support of artist thumbnails and fanart for artists that are NOT the album artist. I have large collection of compilation CDs and CDs where individual songs have featured guest artists. These artists can be made to appear in the artist view in the library, but the art is not automatically picked up from any local repository.

Most of the problem ones are obscure early 20th century Yiddish singers and klezmer musicians. Not highly likely to show up databases that are flooded with current popular musicians. Cool

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Suggestion] Common folder for video/audio/music thumbnails.0