Updated to Eden beta, XBMC menu disappeared
I have found a fix to this problem. I'd like to point out that I have no experience in how the ATV jb works, but I do have some experience in apt and dpkg ^^ So bare with me Wink

My symptoms:
After updating using SSH (apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade) my XMBC and NitoTV menus were missing.
My /var/log/syslog showed me the following errors:

Code:
Apr  8 04:00:32 Apple-TV /Applications/AppleTV.app/AppleTV[123]: Failed to allow loading of appliance /Applications/AppleTV.app/Appliances//Overflow.frappliance
Apr  8 04:00:32 Apple-TV /Applications/AppleTV.app/AppleTV[123]: Failed to allow loading of appliance /Applications/AppleTV.app/Appliances//XBMC.frappliance
Apr  8 04:00:32 Apple-TV /Applications/AppleTV.app/AppleTV[123]: Failed to allow loading of appliance /Applications/AppleTV.app/Appliances//nitoTV.frappliance

After a long Google session and about an hour of trying stuff, I figured out what to do.
Have a look at what your update did. I used less to read the apt logfile:
Code:
Apple-TV:~ root# less /var/log/apt/term.log

Look for the update that caused your problems. Here is mine:
Code:
Log started: 2012-04-05  13:01:45
(Reading database ... 4983 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace coreutils-bin 7.4-6 (using .../coreutils-bin_8.12-7_iphoneos-arm.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement coreutils-bin ...
Setting up coreutils-bin (8.12-7) ...
(Reading database ... 4983 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace uikittools 1.1.0 (using .../uikittools_1.1.3_iphoneos-arm.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement uikittools ...
Setting up uikittools (1.1.3) ...
(Reading database ... 4984 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace cydia 1.1.1 (using .../cydia_1.1.6_iphoneos-arm.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement cydia ...
Setting up cydia (1.1.6) ...
(Reading database ... 4984 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace coreutils 7.4-11 (using .../coreutils_8.12-12_iphoneos-arm.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement coreutils ...
Preparing to replace mobilesubstrate 0.9.3901 (using .../mobilesubstrate_0.9.3995_iphoneos-arm.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement mobilesubstrate ...
Preparing to replace com.rrr.rowmotehelper-atv2 3.5.2-1 (using .../com.rrr.rowmotehelper-atv2_3.6.0_iphoneos-arm.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement com.rrr.rowmotehelper-atv2 ...
Preparing to replace beigelist 2.1-2 (using .../beigelist_2.2.2-3_iphoneos-arm.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement beigelist ...
Preparing to replace org.tomcool.smframework 0.7.8-1 (using .../org.tomcool.smframework_0.7.8-5_iphoneos-arm.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement org.tomcool.smframework ...
Preparing to replace org.tomcool.overflow.tweak 1.0.0-16 (using .../org.tomcool.overflow.tweak_1.0.0-22_iphoneos-arm.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement org.tomcool.overflow.tweak ...
Preparing to replace org.tomcool.overflow 1.1.0-11 (using .../org.tomcool.overflow_1.1.0-18_iphoneos-arm.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement org.tomcool.overflow ...
Preparing to replace org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2 10.0-9 (using .../org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2_11.0-0_iphoneos-arm.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2 ...
Setting up coreutils (8.12-12) ...
Setting up mobilesubstrate (0.9.3995) ...
Setting up com.rrr.rowmotehelper-atv2 (3.6.0) ...
Setting up beigelist (2.2.2-3) ...
Setting up org.tomcool.smframework (0.7.8-5) ...
Setting up org.tomcool.overflow.tweak (1.0.0-22) ...
Setting up org.tomcool.overflow (1.1.0-18) ...
Setting up org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2 (11.0-0) ...
Log ended: 2012-04-05  13:02:23

In my case, amonst others, the beigelist package was updated: (Setting up beigelist (2.2.2-3) ...)

I decided to start downgrading stuff at random and see what it would do. Beigelist was the one that did the trick.

So, have a look at what version you had before the upgrade. Its in the term.log file.
Code:
Preparing to replace beigelist 2.1-2 (using .../beigelist_2.2.2-3_iphoneos-arm.deb) ...

Have a look if that version is still supported by the repository:
Code:
Apple-TV:~ root# apt-cache showpkg beigelist

Look at the "Provides" list and look up your previous version:
Code:
Provides:
2.2.2-3 - org.awkwardtv.whitelist
2.2.1-1 - org.awkwardtv.whitelist
2.2-1 - org.awkwardtv.whitelist
2.1-2 - org.awkwardtv.whitelist
2.1-1 - org.awkwardtv.whitelist
2.0-1 - org.awkwardtv.whitelist
1.0-1 - org.awkwardtv.whitelist
Reverse Provides:

If your version is listed here, you are able to downgrade beigelist using apt-get. Mine was version 2.2-1 so i executed the following command.
Code:
Apple-TV:~ root# apt-get install beigelist=2.1-2
(note the =2.1-2 forcing the previous version)

And that fixed it! Yay!

I would like to add that I have no idea of the implications this downgrade has on the system. As said before, I have little experience in these matters. All I know is that i have my ATV2 back, with Eden! Smile
@johan.adriaans: Worked like a charm for me too. Thanks for posting your solution!
My Provides where the same so 'apt-get install beigelist=2.1-2' worked fine.

Seems there is something wrong in the latest upgrade, hope somebody looks at it, but in the meantime it is working fine with this fix.
@johan.adriaans: Thanx alot! Worked like a charm!
@johan.adriaans: Same problem, same solution. Thanks!
We saw this issue few weeks back and fixed it, http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?pid...pid1062202 hopefully they will look into it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Updated to Eden beta, XBMC menu disappeared0