xbmc does not fit my tv
Hi all

Just installed eden beta on atv 2. When i open xbmc the picture is "to big". I have a normal samsung lcd tv. Movies shows up fine, but general navigation within xbmc and the use of movie-menu (menu when playing movie) is difficult because i cant se the menuchoice (they appear to low on the screen).

Tv is set up with 720p 60hz. My apple tv is normal, but xbmc is not.

Any ideas ??
Go in system, appearance, skin then put zoom to -4
I can't remember off the top of my head, but if you go into settings, a better way of doing it is calibrating video or something, can't remember what menu its in, then you can manually adjust top/bottom and left/right.
danfozzy Wrote:Go in system, appearance, skin then put zoom to -4

no, leave your xbmc settings alone, on your samsung tv, make sure you set it to fullscreen (under display options)
I had the same issue.

P.S.
while you are there, change (on your apple tv setting, not tv or xbmc) the output to RGB High, improved the image a lot (at least for me)
Jester Wrote:no, leave your xbmc settings alone, on your samsung tv, make sure you set it to fullscreen (under display options)
I had the same issue.

P.S.
while you are there, change (on your apple tv setting, not tv or xbmc) the output to RGB High, improved the image a lot (at least for me)

Changed to rgb high and did calibration on xmbc. (did not have a fullscreen option on my tv)

Thanks everyone, now it is fine!
Jester Wrote:no, leave your xbmc settings alone, on your samsung tv, make sure you set it to fullscreen (under display options)
I had the same issue.

I hardly ever send food back, kick up a fuss, stir the pot, or anything like that...but since you are a mod on an XBMC forum and telling someone who just installed XBMC not to change the calibration settings, I feel the need to use this symbol Eek. Anytime you install XBMC, the first time you always have to calibrate it for your TV!!

:p
Instead of messing around with calibration, see if your TV has screen fit. This usually does the trick.
mealto Wrote:Instead of messing around with calibration, see if your TV has screen fit. This usually does the trick.

Its not messing around, its a required step. Its the only way to get a perfect fit...stretching out or zooming your pic from the TV end isnt an ideal fix. You may want to take a look, you might get a better fit\picture, it really takes like a minute.

XBMC Wiki: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Video_Calibration

nethervue Wrote:Its not messing around, its a required step. Its the only way to get a perfect fit...stretching out or zooming your pic from the TV end isnt an ideal fix. You may want to take a look, you might get a better fit\picture, it really takes like a minute.

XBMC Wiki: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Video_Calibration

Yes, did that already. After setting to Screen Fit on the TV, the calibration screen was pretty much dead on, nothing to tweak. For those with issues, try this first.
nethervue Wrote:I hardly ever send food back, kick up a fuss, stir the pot, or anything like that...but since you are a mod on an XBMC forum and telling someone who just installed XBMC not to change the calibration settings, I feel the need to use this symbol Eek. Anytime you install XBMC, the first time you always have to calibrate it for your TV!!

:p

Actually this is not true, I have installed over 5 XBMCs on ATV2 and the first thing I always do is set the setting on the TV to "Just Scan" and not 16:9.
I never touch the screen size settings on xbmc.

The only time you need to change these settings on XBMC is if your TV does not have that option ("Just Scan").
ithaki Wrote:Actually this is not true, I have installed over 5 XBMCs on ATV2 and the first thing I always do is set the setting on the TV to "Just Scan" and not 16:9.
I never touch the screen size settings on xbmc.

The only time you need to change these settings on XBMC is if your TV does not have that option ("Just Scan").

Some have Just Scan, other models have Screen Fit. Same thing I think. So try these before adjusting XBMC video calibration.
I'm hoping that this issue disappears within a few years. Is there any reason for overscan now that the video signal is digital?

But to address the original question, the first thing to do is to decide if the TV really needs overscan. If not, simply turn it off and leave XBMC alone. If overscan is needed, then its worth tinkering with XBMC.

The ideal setup is 1-to-1 pixel mapping between all video sources and the display. Everything is so much simpler when the video signal is passed along and displayed without any mucking around. Granted for 480/720/1080 resolution differences, scaling is still necessary. But the end result should still be a perfectly filled screen, no underscan and no overscan.

Note: some manufactures use the term "Just Scan" to refer to displaying the signal exactly as received. (no underscan or overscan)
The reason why TV has overscan settings is some cable companies have a glitch that the edge of the video signal flickers. It's not consistent and vary among channels. Pain in the butt.

But if you set your TV to 16:9 and watch HD cable, you will see it cuts off sligthly on all sides. This solves the problem that I described above. With Just Scan or Wide Fit, you see the entire signal, hence, the flickering.

But you are right, with digital signals, there really should not be a need to "fix" any issues. I still say, adjust your TV before you adjust XBMC video calibration. The TV adjustment is just a click away but the XBMC adjustment is very many clicks away and it may vary from TV to TV.
I have a question regarding this matter

I have been using the Video Calibration settings (System Settings -> Video Output -> Video Calibration)

In the Beta 2 of OpenELEC, instead of the arrows pointing outward (the ones in the screenshot) there is a new system, which marks the corners of the image something like "Green corners"

My question is:

Te optimum calibration is "showing" the green corners, or when the are "hiding"

Thanks

Jack
I've always done it with green corners slightly showing.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc does not fit my tv1