MPC-HC in XBMC is great *except* it doesnt play streaming video .... help please !!
Hi all

This has me beat.

I have MPC-HC X64 installed & Windows 7 SP1 X64.

I have succesfully edited and configured the " playercorefactory.xml " in the C:\users......userdata directory and it plays the video's from my hard-disk through MPC-HC by default no problem - I can even select " right-click " and use the default player if I wish

So whats my problem ?

When I stream videos directly via online [ ie: without first saving them to a local drive ] XBMC still defaults to using " default " player !?!?!?

Can someone please advise what I need to do to make XBMC use MPC-HC as the default-automatic player for streamed online video's ?

Many thanks,
Ben
You'll need to provide us with a copy of the playercorefactory.xml and a debug log showing what happens when you play a stream.

I would guess the rule in your playercorefactory.xml isn't matching streams. You could try something like:

<rule name="playstream" protocol="http" player="MPC-HC" />

though I'd need to see the playercorefactory.xml and log to be sure.

JR
Hi JR

Many thanks for helping out.

My current/existing playercorefactory.xml is:-

<playercorefactory>
<players>
<player name="MEDIA PLAYER CENTRE CLASSIC" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="true" video="true">
<filename>C:\Program Files\Media Player Classic - Home Cinema\mpc-hc64.exe</filename>
<args>"{1}" /fullscreen /close</args>
<hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
<hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
<warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
</player>
</players>
<rules action="prepend">
<rule filetypes="*.*" player="MEDIA PLAYER CENTRE CLASSIC">
</rule>
</rules>
</playercorefactory>

Like I said, the above works exactly as I want *except* when I try to play a video stream online what happens is that MPC opens but is stuck on "opening" - hiting the play icon button does not do anything.

Thanks,
Ben
Open a command prompt and type:

Code:
cd C:\Program Files\Media Player Classic - Home Cinema

then

Code:
mpc-hc64.exe http://somestream/whatever /fullscreen /close

where you need to replace http://somestream/whatever by the URL for the stream. MPC-HC should start and play the stream. This command is doing the same as XBMC does. If MPC-HC still hangs you'll need to take it up in the MPC-HC support forums.

JR
Hi JR

Yep - that all works fine.

I also checked MPC-HC X64 streaming on YouTube - via the YuoTube Video add-on - and it streams fine.

However.... I then tried to stream some TV shows via IceFilms with MPC-HC X64 and ..... no go ...... MPC-HC gets "stuck" on opening MPC-HC X64 and hitting play does nothing ?!?!

I then tried VLC and when streaming TV shows via IceFIlms I got the following error:-

VLC is unable to open the MRL 'file:///C:/Program%20Files%20%28x86%29/XBMC%2F%2Ffullscreen'. Check the log for details.
File reading failed:
VLC could not open the file "C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\\close".
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'file:///C:/Program%20Files%20%28x86%29/XBMC%2F%2Fclose'. Check the log for details.

Any other thoughts / ideas / suggestions ?

All the best,
Ben
It sounds like something amiss in the playercorefactory.xml. Please pop a debug log on pastebin.com so I can have a look at it.

Enable debug logging from System settings, System, Debugging, and restart XBMC, then play one of the offending streams, kill the hung MPC-HC and close XBMC. A quick way to open the debug log is to press Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

"%appdata%\xbmc\xbmc.log"

(including the quotes). Click OK and the log should open in Notepad. Copy and paste the log into pastebin.com and post the link it gives you here.

JR
I have the exact same issue.
In MPC-HC it keeps showing "Opening..." and nothing more happends.

It seems that the issue is caused by both MPC-HC and default player is opened at the same time, because....If I close MPC-HC using Alt-F4, then returning to XBMC the default player is playing the stream as well.....also it is stuck!!

I have disabled all default player in playercorefactory.xml

Did you come up with a solution for this issue??
I am not sure, but one reason why you experience "'Opening...' and nothing more happends." may be that MPC-HC want to download a quite large part of the file prior to showing it.

Try finding a smaller file somewhere at the internet and open it via MPC-HC.

EDIT: changed from "entire file" to "quite large part"

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MPC-HC in XBMC is great *except* it doesnt play streaming video .... help please !!0