Apple TV 2 w/NTFS Shares on Win7
First post here.

I've had XBMC on my first gen Xbox forever but have now decided to venture into the realm of other devices.

I have installed XBMC on a PC and managed to get everything up and running with multiple add-ons, etc etc.. I am now ready to port it over to other devices. Namely, an Apple TV 2 because of its form factor.
My question is as such: Can anyone please confirm whether or not the Apple TV 2 can connect back to Windows 7 Shares and serve up the content? (I've been googling like mad but have found no definitive answers - would love to hear from someone who is actually running this)

If so, I will do my diligence and read up on it (if any of you have some pointer threads that would be greatly appreciated) but just didn't want to waste my time searching for something that couldn't even be done.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!
XBMC on the ATV2/iOS supports all the same sharing options and protocols as the desktop builds. Windows uses what's commonly called SMB, and it's very easy to set up. Windows can even do several other sharing options that work on XBMC. I've used SMB from a Windows computer to my ATV2 before I gave it to my parents, and it ran great.

Check out http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=SMB for more info.
Thanks for the reply. Just one quick question, were you running windows 7?

I have successfully accessed my windows 7 shares from both a winxp machine, a linux machine, and a windows 7 laptop.

My concern is that my WDTV Live Plus can't access the windows 7 shares properly. As such, I want to be sure before buying an Apple TV 2 that it will be able to access the shares.

The concern isn't about accessing CIFS or SMB, but rather accessing it on a Windows 7 machine. It appears as though Windows 7 has some intricacies that were not in previous versions of Windows. For example, for no apparent reason you have to uninstall Live Sign in for things to work...

So, before I exhaust time and resources trying to get an Apple TV 2 to work with shares hosted on a windows 7 box, I want to be sure it will work. Otherwise, i'll just get a little netbook and an IR Remote. Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple TV 2 w/NTFS Shares on Win70