XBMC & Wayland, the new compositor
there was ~2 years ago, but our wayland support is unmaintained ever since its introduction and doesn't work with halfway current wayland, so it will be removed again.
I revived and fixed Kodi's Wayland support in my git repository: https://github.com/MaxKellermann/xbmc
Is there a reason for not being actively developed? I mean, it seems like a good move to have wayland support for the "de facto" media player of all embedded devices. Ditching Xorg seems like a great performance improvement for not-so-powerful devices which only GUI most of the time is Kodi itself. Isn't it?. Maybe I'm missing something.
Don't overestimate the advantages of Wayland. You won't see a "great performance improvement". Maybe a small one. There are many advantages in Wayland, but few of them are really visible to users.

I was about to switch my Kodi box to Wayland when I saw that the Kodi Team had removed the feature. Fortunately, it's open source, and I'm not bound to anybody's decisions but my own ones. If the Kodi Team is interested in taking advantage of my Wayland work, they can just merge my code. Either way, my own Kodi box will run Wayland very soon.
(2016-02-01, 15:54)Panderine Wrote: Is there a reason for not being actively developed? I mean, it seems like a good move to have wayland support for the "de facto" media player of all embedded devices. Ditching Xorg seems like a great performance improvement for not-so-powerful devices which only GUI most of the time is Kodi itself. Isn't it?. Maybe I'm missing something.

Currently Wayland only works with GLES that compared to OpenGL lacks a lot of quality features in Kodi:

- limited range rendering
- dithering
- high quality upscaling like Lanczos
- no support for VDPAU (used by AMD and NVIdia)

On the other hand there is no real advantage of running on Wayland. I can't think of any good reason why someone wants to lose those important quality and hw acceleration features for the sake of running on Wayland.
and boost just died Smile
MrMC Forums : http://forum.mrmc.tv
Thanks all for the insights !
(2016-02-01, 16:43)FernetMenta Wrote: On the other hand there is no real advantage of running on Wayland.

Of course there is, at least on the desktop side. Using Wayland instead of X gives a tear free experience with much less lag than on X.
(2016-12-21, 19:55)qp9013625 Wrote: Of course there is, at least on the desktop side. Using Wayland instead of X gives a tear free experience with much less lag than on X.
How true, and these days the first distribution which defaults to Wayland without X has been released. Wayland is coming, it is the future, and X is just legacy from a past long ago.
It is an embarassingly wrong decision of the Kodi Team to refuse to even let a volunteer like me to work on official Wayland support.
I tried all I could, but eventually gave up. I havn't been doing this because I was bored - my time is already full with other projects - but because I believe that Wayland support is very important.
We even got MIR support without much discussion, without any trouble. Within just 2 weeks of time ... team kodi never decided against wayland, but against a certain way of broken implementation, but it seems the message did not come through.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Right. Mir works with OpenGL and GLES and it supports vaapi. It followed the suggested design. This is different to the hacks submitted for Wayland.
The Wayland code was not broken - it was just badly designed. Just like the Mir code is badly designed. I wouldn't have merged that. And I admit I would never have merged the Wayland code in the first place - and for the same reasons, I wouldn't have accepted 99% of all pull requests. Almost all of the Kodi code is bad from my point of view, and I'm terrified each time I look at it, but maybe that's because my expectations are too high.

The problem with our Wayland discussion (with you and FernetMenta) was contradictory or impossible or stupid requirements on when Wayland code would be accepted. I suggested a roadmap which would lead not only to good Wayland support, but would also repair other windowing implementations which are just as bad as the old Wayland code - but are still there! Not because of its code quality - but because nobody is brave enough to kill Kodi's Android port. (Yes, Kodi's Android code is bad for exactly the very same reasons why Wayland was deleted.) Anyway, all of my suggestions were rejected. That was when it was time for me to give up.
I don't really have a dog in this race, so my apologies for being uninformed. Are you advocating killing the Android port or advocating fixing the windowing system across platforms including the android port?
(2016-12-22, 16:54)natethomas Wrote: I don't really have a dog in this race, so my apologies for being uninformed. Are you advocating killing the Android port or advocating fixing the windowing system across platforms including the android port?

Neither, he is advocation adding hacks to the old Wayland port. According to his last post he was about to reject it himself Smile
(2016-12-22, 13:24)fritsch Wrote: We even got MIR support without much discussion, without any trouble.

Where can we read more about the Mir support?

(2016-12-22, 13:36)FernetMenta Wrote: Right. Mir works with OpenGL and GLES and it supports vaapi. It followed the suggested design. This is different to the hacks submitted for Wayland.

Are you saying Mir is better than Wayland or at least better suited for KODI than Wayland?

Or are you just saying that the patch that adds Mir support to KODI is better than the patch that added Wayland support to KODI?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC & Wayland, the new compositor0