MySQL in Mixed PC/Mac environment
So my brilliant plans to use an unRAID server and a mixed environment of Macs, PCs and one Ubuntu PC has run into a stumbling block. Each of the different OSs have their own preferred network service (AFP, SMB, NFS). While this isn't a problem for unRAID - at all - it is a problem for sharing a single library on a MySQL database. Specifically, they can't share the same list of movies because the paths to the media is all different.

e.g.
smb://unRAID/My TV/Fringe/
vs
afp://192.168.1.77:548/My TV/Fringe/
vs
whatever NFS path it would be

It seems like my only option is to default everything back to Samba, but that just rubs me wrong. Like building a Ferrari and sticking a Chevy engine in it. I've had a lot of issues with Samba and Macs (though that may be due to Win7 and unRAID samba may be less finicky, not sure).

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has similar issues.

What would seem to resolve this is if XBMC only stored the relative path rather than the absolute. In other words, build the path by concatenating the path from sources.xml [smb://unRAID/My TV/ or afp://192.168.1.77:548/My TV/] to the relative path stored in the database (/Fringe/).

Has anyone else dealt with this issue?
AFP, SMB & NFS are all built into XBMC, why does it matter which one you use?
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
darkscout Wrote:AFP, SMB & NFS are all built into XBMC, why does it matter which one you use?

Well Windows can't use AFP or NFS to my knowledge. AFP is faster and more reliable than SMB in my experience. I can't use multiple with a shared database or I get multiple entries for the same movie (one for each path).
nfs works on all plattforms...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
use path subsitution to make the look the same to XBMC - I do this with my Openelec main clients and testing windows laptop so they all point at the same library.
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
Memphiz Wrote:nfs works on all plattforms...
Oh, was libnfs ported to Windows? That would be a huge win!

EDIT: W I N!
Living Room: ASUS Chromebox / OpeneElec 5 / Kodi 14.2
Bedroom: Amazon FireTV Stick / Kodi 14.2
Home Office: Amazon FireTV Stick / Kodi 14.2
Windows Server: Intel Core i3-2100T / 8GB Ram / 48TB / MySQL / StableBit DrivePool on Server 2012 R2 Standard
bossanova808 Wrote:use path subsitution to make the look the same to XBMC - I do this with my Openelec main clients and testing windows laptop so they all point at the same library.

Can you explain that to me? Me confused...
Memphiz Wrote:nfs works on all plattforms...

Is that my best bet? If I'm using mostly Mac clients, is the speed comparable?
Philmatic Wrote:Oh, was libnfs ported to Windows? That would be a huge win!

EDIT: W I N!

Even if it wasn't, SMB should work on all platforms.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
darkscout Wrote:Even if it wasn't, SMB should work on all platforms.

True enough. I got it working now. It's a little slow but not terrible. I may try NFS at some point.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MySQL in Mixed PC/Mac environment0