Resolution for HTPC dedicated to XBMC
I recently bought an HTPC that will be used exclusively for watching DVD and Blu-ray rips through XBMC. I am using a 73" DLP so there is overscan that can't be turned off through the TV. I need to use NVidia Control Panel to resize the desktop and adjust the resolution.

I have about 4% overscan so the final resolution is about 1840x1035 after I'm done resizing the desktop. B/c of this resizing though I can't send both 60hz and 24hz through the same resolution. So essentially I need to choose one or the other and resize the Desktop accordingly.

Since this HTPC is going to only be used for watching movies through XBMC am I better off sticking with 60hz or 24hz? If there isn't a definite answer if somebody could give me some guidelines to help me make the decision.

Thanks.
Does you television have ability to set an input to PC? I never get proper 1920x1080 on mine unless i set the input i use to "PC". Otherwise, i too, have to resize to a non-standard resolution.
There is an option within XBMC to calibrate the screen. You might be able to shrink it down from there and not worry about custom resolutions.

As for the refresh rate to use, it depends on your source material, and if you notice the movie not being "perfectly" smooth in playback. If you have 24 fps movies, then it would be most smooth at 24 Hz.

If you have mixed fps, then you're not going to have a good time getting everything to play correctly. I leave mine at 60 Hz and don't notice any issues with my playback, even on 1080p material.

Ciao.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Resolution for HTPC dedicated to XBMC0