WHS 2011+ Ubuntu + xbmc
Guys and gals,

I really reaching out of frustration here. I'm relatively new to Ubuntu so please keep that in mind. I have a home built whs 2011 which does a fine job of sharing files to my win 7 boxes in the house however, I'm really struggling to figure out how to get this working with my Ubuntu boxes!! Are there any write ups on this or am I on my own?
Can u not just browse to your whs from in XBMC using add source ? I found it useful to create a user xbmc with password on whs giving read & write permissions.
Noli illegitimi carborundum

Unfortunately, no. I've set up an NFS share now so I think I might just try to map that.... I've been running into issues getting it to map but that has more to do with me being a noob at ubuntu I think. I'm going to keep looking around for a solution. Doesn't eden support NFS shares ootb?
I also run a WHS 2011 and got it to work like this:

Add a new video source and click browse:

Add a network location:

Enter the hostname or ip of your windows home server 2011 box: (note i didnt enter any user / pass as all my share are accessible to "Guests")

It should now appear as a share:

You should be able to see any of the shared folders inside that:

I have no idea why but Windows Home Server 2011 will not appear in the SMB network with any other Windows machines, however adding it fine like that works perfectly for me on the 10.1 release of XBMC running on Linux.

Its worth mentioning the 10.1 release patched a bug where XBMC running on Linux could not view network shares on Windows Vista / 7 / Server 2008 and WHS 2011. If you are on an older version of XBMC that could also by why.
That just might work. I've tried putting in the host name but everytime I do I end up with something like this even when I don't put in any forward slashes. smb://\\hostname\videos. I'm more frustrated now because I can't get xbmc to update on ubuntu. Angry I've got a vm of ubuntu set up I'm going to try running the update on today to see what the deal is. Thank you for your help BTW.
Donked Wrote:That just might work. I've tried putting in the host name but everytime I do I end up with something like this even when I don't put in any forward slashes. smb://\\hostname\videos. I'm more frustrated now because I can't get xbmc to update on ubuntu. Angry I've got a vm of ubuntu set up I'm going to try running the update on today to see what the deal is. Thank you for your help BTW.

The Correct format is below.

Code:
smb://user:password@homeserver/Videos/
Noli illegitimi carborundum

I would assume you don't have to put user: password if the shares are open? By default I think when you turn on media sharing in whs 2011 it opens the specified shares up to the everyone group. Even then I'd like to use nfs now that I've set it up and it tends to be a lighter network protocol. I set up a win7 eden beta 1 machine and it could see the nfs shares without an issue. I'm setting up another Ubuntu box tonight to test it on if I can get the VM to install it. I'll let you know how it goes..
Ok, so here's the progress thus far. I gave up on ubuntu entirely, which I hate, because of garbage audio support. I could have beaten my head against the wall for another couple of days trying to sort out why ubuntu wouldn't let me play audio over the hdmi to DTS/DD 5.1 or I could just rebuild a win7 box and have it work. On another note the suggestions above did work for the SMB protocol to WHS2011, so thank you guys for that. I may still try and get this thing working but it'll be whenever I have more free time....whenever that could be.
InsaneNutter Wrote:I also run a WHS 2011 and got it to work like this:
Thank you so much for this! I had issues getting it to work and you solved it. Everything streams and plays wonderfully. So much better than 7MC+MB!
Living Room: Ubuntu 16.10 x64 | BayTrail-M SOC | Krypton | Hitachi 55L6 | Yamaha RX-V665 | 7.1 Polk Surround
Den: RetroPie 4.1 | Raspberry Pi 3 | Krypton | VIZIO XVT553SV
Bedroom: OSMC 2017.02-1 | Raspberry Pi 3 | Krypton | VIZIO E370VA
HP Chromebook 14: Ubuntu 16.04 x64 | Celeron 2955U | Jarvis
NAS: Windows 10 | 20TB on DrivePool | Emby DB | Subsonic | Plex

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
WHS 2011+ Ubuntu + xbmc0