Linux Nvidia 7.1 Sound over HDMI
Hi,

Hoping someone could help me out with a recommendation. I'm running XBMC on Ubuntu and currently have a Nvida graphics card which is a MSI Geforce 220. After a lot of messing with it I finally got HDMI sound working only to find that it this card would only do stereo sound.

I have searched the forums and found a lot of conflicting data and wondered if anyone could recommend a graphics card that would support 7.1 over HDMI and VDPAU C or D.

Thanks.
My GT220 does 5.1/7.1 just fine. Are your videos encoded with 7.1? Enable pass through and pass it out over SPDIF or HDMI.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
Most of my videos are 5.1, some are 7.1. I did enable passthrough on HDMI and I got sound, but only in stereo. My videos play fine from the digital out on my sound card with passthrough, but I was hoping to get HDMI working to reduce the number of cables and also for when xbmc supports HD audio. I don't have the exact model number with me, but my 220 was one of the first generation models, I think I just need a more recent card.

Do most of the cards support surround over HDMI now? I see a lot of people on the forums seem to be using the GT 430 in their builds. Does that card support 7.1 Passthrough?
You should be able to do 5.1 & 7.1 with your GT220 over HDMI.

There are a ton of 'HDMI audio over GT 2x0/430' threads.
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
Passthrough means it sends the bits straight up as is no altering what so ever (which is why volume doesn't work).

I you're not getting 7.1 on the other end either you're not sending 7.1 or your stereo is set up wrong. Because you'd either get sound or you wouldn't.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
@torianironfist

See here if seeking some more info:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=803...tcount=124
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Linux Nvidia 7.1 Sound over HDMI0