Stress Free Build ?
Hi Folks, long time lurker, first time poster ..
I've currently got a couple of boxes made up from old left overs running eden quite nicely, but I want to build a basically silent box for the lounge, no 3d required, but I do stream 1080p, and I'll be running win7. The choices are overwhelming, even following some of the great builds and guides on the forums, and before I 'add to cart' I'd like some honest opinion on the following proposed build ;

Corsair CM3X4GSD1066 4GB PC-8500 SODIMM ( assuming this works with the latest bios - awaiting confirmation )
ASUS AT5IONT-I Mini ITX Motherboard
Shintaro Wireless Media Center Keyboard
OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD
Silverstone SG06 Black Cube Mini-ITX Case with 300W PSU
Noctua NF-F12 PWM 120mm Fan
Leadtek Winfast PxDVR3200 H PCIe

The Noctua is to replace the case fan if it's too loud as stock, although the case reviews and specs suggest it wont be, in which case I'll run it slow and mod the case for some more airflow.

Anything I've overlooked, should change ? Huh
I'm not sure on the Tuner card, I may change it to a Hauppage ? ( currently run myth backend, but want to localise it to this build. )

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
OK So I've already changed what I'm going to do .. I'll get the above for the back kitchen/dining, to have something a bit neater out there (instead of an old tower case Smile happy wife happy life) so for the lounge .. with the decent TV I'm now going for the following ;

ASRock A75M-ITX Motherboard
AMD A8 3870 Quad Core Fusion Black Edition
Corsair CMP4GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3
OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD
Compro VideoMate E750 PCIe Dual Digital TV Card
Thermaltake Armor A30 Mini Case Black USB 3.0
Bunch of silent fans to replace the awful blue LED ones ..

which leaves me to find ..
A small silent / quiet power supply ? any thoughts ?

Ta, Al.
I read so many reviews and its so hard to find a silent PSU, becuase there is no standard way to mesure the noise level.
I thought about the 300W bequiet I think its Pure Power or something.

Do you really need the A8 3870? Maybe a A6 3500/3600 is enough should save money and heat.
Also you should get a new CPU cooler, maybe one of the Scythe Shurikens.
Cheers,
Yeah i saw a 500watt somewhere that is still too big, but it was fanless, just can't seem to find one again that is maybe only a 300w .. Might just adapt a modular and refit the fan to quieten if required. They should all just list full load dB, most of them list a no load or 'idle' dB ..

A8 .. we'll future proofing is all .. Also tossing up between an i5/i3 and a Gigabyte GA-H67MA-USB3-B3 board, are the integral graphics, the 'Intel 2000 or 3000HD' worth considering ? or stick the the AMD and 6550 graphics ?

This whole keeping it small and quiet is quite challenging !
Looking for a Stress free build? In my opinion I would think twice about that OCZ SSD, I realize that the Sandforce issues are supposedly resolved but if you read their forums you'll see that there are still issues. I used an OCZ SSD for 10 months and was a big OCZ fan at one time - last year I had to rma their drive - once I got the replacement I sold it (at a big loss Sad) On my current build I am using a Crucial M4, may not be as fast as the Sandforce but it was plug and play...Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stress Free Build ?0