no sound over hdmi with dts
Hi folks,
I need your help with this.
I just finished setting up my Zbox hd-nd22 with win7 ultimate 64bit and i'm running the latest version of xbmc.

I have several movies in my database that are coded with dts sounds.
As the htpc is hooked up to my av receiver I'd like to play the sound over my 5.1 system.

My problem is that I don't get a sound playing those dts files in xbmc.
playing them in windows i have no problem getting a sound.

how can I get xbmc to playback movies encoded with dts over my denon
av-receiver?

Thank you guys!!
Matthias
Matthias,

There is a lot of information missing that we need to know before we can help.

However, the easiest thing to check is that you have DTS and AC3 enabled receiver options enabled in XBMC settings.

If that doesn't work, you are going to have to give the version of XBMC you are using (not just "latest"), how your Zbox is connected to your receiver, etc.

Ciao.
Is you receiver DTS-capable?
Hi,
I'm running XBMC 10.1. All the DTS and AC3 Options are enabled (At least the ones that I found in the sound menu)
I'm using a Denon 1912 receiver, which is cabable of DTS.
I connected the htpc with the receiver using a HDMI cable, and from the receiver a HDMI cable goes to the TV.
If I'm using a DVD (played by my DVD player, not the HTPC) I get DTS sound just fine. So the error must be somewhere in the HTPC.

When I play the same *.mkv file with a different player (VLC Player) it plays DTS sound fine as well.

This is how I figured out that it has to be XBMC
Double check all your menus, you missed something. If I remember there is a DTS Master audio check box and a 5.1 check box but im not at home
Can you post a screen shot of your audio settings? Also would recommend upgrading to Eden unless you have specific addons you're worried about.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
I can post a screenshot once I'm home.
Can I install Eden as an upgrade or do I have to deinstall my current version and redo all the settings?
Your settings will remain just fine, as will your database (it will just be upgraded and the old data copied to the new db - no harm done). It can be rolled back by installing an older version if you wish.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
Do you have anything with AC3 (Dolby Digitial)? I'm wondering if that works.

I know you said VLC works properly, but maybe you could double check your speaker settings in windows control panel. You have to set the default audio device to HDMI, and you have to configure your speakers for 5.1. The menus are a bit hidden, so be careful.

Also, in XBMC, what do you have set as your audio device? Do you have it set for 5.1 speakers?
AC3 works just fine!
I'll double check my windows sound settings once I'm home.
In XBMC I have it set to play through HDMI and for 5.1 speakers.
I'll doublecheck what audio device I have set in XBMC and report back to you!
Ok, that sounds a little wierd. Normally, I would expect DTS to work if AC3 was working correctly to all speakers in proper surround mode (not emulated or a DSP mode).

You might need to post a debug log (to pastebin.com, and post a link to it) so we can see what's happening in the background. How to enable the debug log is explained in the wiki http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Log_file
I have no clue how I did it, but I did it.
I reinstalled all the drivers for sounds, although I was the same version that I was running before.
Now the sound is also played back through HDMI with DTS.
But I did upgrade to Eden while I was working on the machine.

Thank you guys!
with Dharma version, under audio output> audio out put device> choose custom and type hdmi. THat should work. I hope it is useful for any one with Dharma version.
Seems I have the same problem, nvidia gpu, all works fine except DTS, settings to hdmi device and pasthru, if i disable "have 5.1 reciever" the sounds is ok, but not 5.1.

the box goes directly into my philips 4007, brand new Tv set and from there to the reciever-home cinema set.

But even on the tv there is no sound if it put eden to dts device, the tv set has the 5.1 spaeker settings enabled, funny tho with Dharma i had no problem at all

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
no sound over hdmi with dts0