Sync with online MySQL DB
Hi,
Sorry if this has already been covered elsewhere but I couldn't find anything when searching...

I've seen a lot of guides for syncing watched status etc to a MySQL database but unfortuantely don't have an always on machine and my Nas doesn't support MySQL Sad

I do however have a personal website with MySQL and am trying to connect it to one of these online databases.

So far I have gone through the steps in the local install guides but applied them to the server I am hosted on.

I have the databases set up with a user that has full access to both. I have added these details to the advance settings file and to get the IP address i have done the following:

To get to the MySQL admin page for my site you go to "www.mywebsitename.co.uk:2082", So i pinged "www.mywebsitename.co.uk" to obtain the IP of the server, i have then used this IP in the advanced settings and 2082 as the port.

I have now put everything in place but when I load XBMC it hangs when starting up, if i remove the advanced settings file it then boots without issue.

Can anyone see any issues with what i have done?

Thanks in advance.
I guess it should work from XBMC perspective. Are you allowed to access your DB using this method by your hosts? Speaking from a previous experience, I used to use some MySql editor remotely but had to get some settings changed by my host to allow remote access (as essentially this scenario is methinks).
What do your xbmc logs say? Do you get any errors?
--
XBMC HUB - THE NEW HOME FOR ADD-ONS and PLUGINS
Read how my ATV2 installation went
ATV2 one week on ... it's getting better all the time
XBMC/ATV2 - Feeling the love
--
XBMC:
Platform - Darwin iOS (11.0.0 AppleTV2,1, Version 4.3 (Build 8F305)).
11.0-RC2 - Built on Mar 1 2012 (Git:20120229-f38655f)
Platform - Darwin OSX (8.8.2 i386, Version 10.4.7 (Build 8N6014)).
11.0-RC2 - Built on Mar 1 2012 (Git:20120229-f38655f)
Probably it will be too slow.
Good thinking - I'll get in touch with my web host and check the details with them.

Will have a look at the logs tonight to see if I can find any further info, I haven't checked the logs before though, are there any in particular you would advise checking?

As for the speed - I assumed that the initial import of all my media would take a fair while but once I got past the first upload XBMC would only write small amounts of information to it when it needs to add new content or mark something as paused/watched etc. Which in theory wouldn't really affect the initial load process anyway - That is purely an assumption though...
Debug.
Log.

Can you access mysql from the command line from home?
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
lobinski Wrote:As for the speed - I assumed that the initial import of all my media would take a fair while but once I got past the first upload XBMC would only write small amounts of information to it when it needs to add new content or mark something as paused/watched etc. Which in theory wouldn't really affect the initial load process anyway - That is purely an assumption though...

Writing is not the bottleneck, reading is. I have a DB with 1400 movies and 250 TV shows with around 8000 episodes, and my clients are:

- ATV1
- ATV2
- Windows PC
- iMac
- Linux
- iPad2

Mysql is running in a decent server and the DB has already the known optimizations. All clients are wired and they all take around 20 to 30 seconds to open the "Movies" or "TV" options in the menu.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Sync with online MySQL DB0