• 12(current)
Library Auto Updater - Version 1.1.0
(2013-01-14, 18:01)Ghostdivision Wrote: I also wanted to ask about this in my log, not sur why its showing up

It's an error related to JSON. It looks like both the library update, and the skin widgets addon were trying to see the result of a json call and both of them errored out. The key they were looking for did not exist or, more than likely, was not returned. Is the JSON web server enabled on your setup? I had thought that for internal json calls it didn't matter but I could be wrong about that. Since both of these addons had an error from the same type of operation it is more than likely your setup, not the addon, that is at fault here. (that isn't to say some better error checking couldn't be done!)
Version 0.7.4

I've been thinking a lot about resource usage since the post from gizmotoy regarding the inefficiancy of using the common plugin cache service. I've done some research and have several new enhancements in version 0.7.4

1) Using the xbmc.Monitor class to get notified of certain events. This will help with situations like checking for addon settings changes, or waiting for scans to finish. Previously these needed almost constant resource checks, or loops until jobs have completed. By using this xbmc python class the addon will get notified when things happen instead of constantly checking if they did.

2) reduced file I/O. checking of the settings and last_run files is no longer done unless needed. this was done through a combination of the xbmc.Monitor class and handling of logic more efficiently.

3) removal of the storage server dependancy. This was not necessary and for users of certain platforms was causing issues. (as an FYI, I originally thought this would reduce IO as the common plugin service is running on most xbmc installs anyway, but it seems to be better suited for addons that display lists of data; like video addons).

4) added custom clean timers as requested by Ghostdivision

These are notable changes to the source code, and as such I'll be waiting a day or two before submitting to the repo. Anyone who wants to live on the cutting edge can download from the master branch on github. Post comments back here.
(2013-01-14, 21:20)robweber Wrote:
(2013-01-14, 18:01)Ghostdivision Wrote: I also wanted to ask about this in my log, not sur why its showing up

It's an error related to JSON. It looks like both the library update, and the skin widgets addon were trying to see the result of a json call and both of them errored out. The key they were looking for did not exist or, more than likely, was not returned. Is the JSON web server enabled on your setup? I had thought that for internal json calls it didn't matter but I could be wrong about that. Since both of these addons had an error from the same type of operation it is more than likely your setup, not the addon, that is at fault here. (that isn't to say some better error checking couldn't be done!)

Thanks for your response. Is turning json turning on webserver in xbmc? If so yes it is on.

I am not quite sure how else i can fix this though...

Also thank you very much for custom clean time!!!
Hi, what does the File and LIbrary option do under Amount of time?
Thanks
(2013-01-15, 04:20)Ghostdivision Wrote: Thanks for your response. Is turning json turning on webserver in xbmc? If so yes it is on.

I am not quite sure how else i can fix this though...

Also thank you very much for custom clean time!!!

According to the wiki enabled "control of xbmc over http" should enable the json server, although python access should always be enabled; which is what these addons are trying to do.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=JSO...g_JSON-RPC

I've added a "fix" that will cause you to stop getting this error, but you aren't going to like the result. If the "result" key cannot be obtained via JSON, then the verify sources function will fail due to insufficient data. This will result in your library never getting cleaned. In order for verify sources to work the python call to the JSON server must return correctly. I've also added some debug logging to the master branch, please run it and paste the results back here, it should give us the exact error JSON is having.

(2013-01-16, 12:37)kevinkelm Wrote: Hi, what does the File and LIbrary option do under Amount of time?
Thanks

I'm not sure I understand your question. Under "Amount of Time" your only options are time increments (2,4,6, etc) that stand for the number of hours between a library scan. There is no "File" option.
Hey there, I'm using 0.7.4 (grabbed from GIT a few days back) - this has solved the CPU spikes issue which for me was very apparent on my noisy acer revo! Thanks!

However I do now notice that after every scheduled scan, a Library Clean is now run. It is disabled in the options, so I'm not sure why it's suddenly happening after a scan. If I disable the plugin, no Library Clean. Any ideas?

Thanks again!
(2013-01-24, 15:08)jdbrookes Wrote: Hey there, I'm using 0.7.4 (grabbed from GIT a few days back) - this has solved the CPU spikes issue which for me was very apparent on my noisy acer revo! Thanks!

However I do now notice that after every scheduled scan, a Library Clean is now run. It is disabled in the options, so I'm not sure why it's suddenly happening after a scan. If I disable the plugin, no Library Clean. Any ideas?

Thanks again!

Thanks for pointing this out. I've been testing this at home but I have my clean library set to once a week so I didn't notice this behavior. With all the changes to the code this kind of stuff is why I didn't push it to the repo right away.

I think I see where the problem is. There is also an issue on GIT about the clean function not checking for the "don't update when media playing" rules. I'll get these sorted out and post back here.

Update - I fixed this and pushed the new code to GitHub. it will now check for cleaning enabled/disabled as well as if media is playing. Thanks!
Quick question: I'm still an XBMC newbie... I'm using the version that can be installed from within XBMC from the repository.

If I do a manual install from github to get the latest version, and then down the road a newer version get added into the XBMC repository, will I still get auto-updated?

Does that make sense?
(2013-01-24, 15:59)robweber Wrote:
(2013-01-24, 15:08)jdbrookes Wrote: Hey there, I'm using 0.7.4 (grabbed from GIT a few days back) - this has solved the CPU spikes issue which for me was very apparent on my noisy acer revo! Thanks!

Thanks again!

Thanks for pointing this out. I've been testing this at home but I have my clean library set to once a week so I didn't notice this behavior. With all the changes to the code this kind of stuff is why I didn't push it to the repo right away.

I think I see where the problem is. There is also an issue on GIT about the clean function not checking for the "don't update when media playing" rules. I'll get these sorted out and post back here.

Update - I fixed this and pushed the new code to GitHub. it will now check for cleaning enabled/disabled as well as if media is playing. Thanks!

Cheers Rob, that worked fine!

Before the fix I also noted that if I triggered a manual Update, or did a Scan for Content on a particular source, it would also perform a clean library. Bit risky in case my network drops out! Thanks a mill
(2013-01-25, 02:03)majorsl Wrote: Quick question: I'm still an XBMC newbie... I'm using the version that can be installed from within XBMC from the repository.

If I do a manual install from github to get the latest version, and then down the road a newer version get added into the XBMC repository, will I still get auto-updated?

Does that make sense?

Good question i wondered this as well.
I am not sure if you can help me here as this maybe an xbmc problem, but xbmc built in update of music library seems to clean it automatically if a samba share is no present, this is on update...

I turned off update music library on startup in xbmc audio options, and let your program handle it.

It still seems to be cleaning when updating the xbmc music library, so my music library keeps going missing.

Several people have complained about this to xbmc, and im not sure if there is anything you could do in your program, but it looks like nothings happening on the xbmc side. But i thought i would ask if your program could somehow work around this?
(2013-01-25, 02:03)majorsl Wrote: Quick question: I'm still an XBMC newbie... I'm using the version that can be installed from within XBMC from the repository.

Does that make sense?

Yes, this should still work. The XBMC addon manager should detect a newer version number and update the addon.

(2013-01-25, 11:32)jdbrookes Wrote: Cheers Rob, that worked fine!

Before the fix I also noted that if I triggered a manual Update, or did a Scan for Content on a particular source, it would also perform a clean library. Bit risky in case my network drops out! Thanks a mill

A manual update via the addon will always clean the library if you have the "clean after update" setting enabled. It treats manual updates the same as scheduled ones - using whatever settings you have set.

When you say "Scan For Content" do you mean by using the XBMC context menu? This has nothing to do with the addon and should not be cleaning your library after the scan unless you have the advanced settings file setup to do so as outlined here: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Adv...library.3E (look for the cleanonupdate tag)

(2013-01-25, 15:17)Ghostdivision Wrote: Good question i wondered this as well.
I am not sure if you can help me here as this maybe an xbmc problem, but xbmc built in update of music library seems to clean it automatically if a samba share is no present, this is on update...

I turned off update music library on startup in xbmc audio options, and let your program handle it.

It still seems to be cleaning when updating the xbmc music library, so my music library keeps going missing.

Several people have complained about this to xbmc, and im not sure if there is anything you could do in your program, but it looks like nothings happening on the xbmc side. But i thought i would ask if your program could somehow work around this?

The only reason XBMC should be cleaning files on an update is if you have the setting enabled as referenced above. Could you please provide some links to tickets or forum posts about this behavior? My addon will only launch the clean method if you've specified it to do so, however if this is something built in to the regular Update() method it will get launched no matter what as this addon uses the same function to start the scan process. I'd be curious to find out when this started happening and what the symptoms are. Debug log would be great too - from startup, through a scan with "clean library" disabled in the addon.

One final question - are you using a version of the addon from GIT or the repo? The one in GIT had an issue of ignoring the clean library settings for a while, just fixed yesterday. Update to 0.7.6 if this is the case. Repo version is OK.
Hello, I am on version 0.7.3

This is built in to xbmc specifically the music library update only, tv and movie is fine, and is not being cleaned on update.This has been going on for awhile now (i seen posts dating back to two years)

If you have any pull with them this is a huge bug, that really needs addressing. It appears its cleaning the music library on update.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1311172

Post 3
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1306617

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=132598

The only thing i could ask if this is never addressed is something similar to your clean option where it makes sure shares are available before it cleans, except it would check the shares are available before music is updated.

Although this really should be fixed in xbmc itself.
Thanks for the posts, this is the first I've heard of this type of behavior. In all the threads you've posted I have yet to see a debug log. This would be really helpful for something like this. If you, or someone else with this problem, can post a log from XBMC startup through a music library scan that would be helpful. If items in the music library are being erased it will show here, and probably the process that did it. Also, make sure you have debugging enabled, then restart xbmc before starting the scan.
(2013-01-26, 09:23)Ghostdivision Wrote: Hello, I am on version 0.7.3

This is built in to xbmc specifically the music library update only, tv and movie is fine, and is not being cleaned on update.This has been going on for awhile now (i seen posts dating back to two years)

If you have any pull with them this is a huge bug, that really needs addressing. It appears its cleaning the music library on update.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1311172

Post 3
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1306617

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=132598

The only thing i could ask if this is never addressed is something similar to your clean option where it makes sure shares are available before it cleans, except it would check the shares are available before music is updated.

Although this really should be fixed in xbmc itself.

++100 on this request- Share path availability should always be checked first! For my example, I have my QNAP 419 NAS (which hosts all media files for the XBMC libraries via Samba path) set to auto-power-down at 1am and auto-power-up at 7am. Adding a "resource availability" check such as a simple ping test, connect success /fail test, would easily resolve any issues. Process would suspend itself if resource availability fails, and resume on next successful check. Maybe have an option to "fail silent" if the user has a situation such as mine, where the NAS powers down on a schedule. - Or, let's say the router dies, switch went down, bad network cable, or any number of typical things that could cause a remote resource share path to lose availability.
(2013-01-26, 17:07)robweber Wrote: Thanks for the posts, this is the first I've heard of this type of behavior. In all the threads you've posted I have yet to see a debug log. This would be really helpful for something like this. If you, or someone else with this problem, can post a log from XBMC startup through a music library scan that would be helpful. If items in the music library are being erased it will show here, and probably the process that did it. Also, make sure you have debugging enabled, then restart xbmc before starting the scan.

Can I do it when my library is available and online? Or will that not provide you with any info?

Because if you need to see it when it can clean paths on update, and the library is not available right away i will loose my entire library again.

• 12(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Library Auto Updater - Version 1.1.00