Should I install windows 7 with or without raid function?
I was reading the manual for the a75m-ITX manual and it was giving an option which should I use for my htpc build?
what type of raid are you considering?
Sorry for the newbie question, I build my first htpc it will have a 32gb ssd and 2tb wd green. Later ill woo be building a unRAID server. I'm guessing I will not need the raid option correct?
If those are the two drives that you are using You wont want to use raid.

While there are a bunch of configurations for raid the most common ones involve one and or both of two main features, drive redundancy and striping.

Striping is essentially sharing the workload over two ideally identical drives so that each drive is doing half of the read/writes. You get great performance but if one drive goes down everything on the other drive is worthless too as it's essentially half of every file on your drive.

The other feature of raid is the redundant back up drive. With two identical, or at least similar, drives one drive does nothing but always duplicate the other one. If one of the drives goes down you can replace it and the data will copy back to the replacement drive and data is preserved. Great data preservation, extra cost for the drive without gaining extra storage, same performance as you'd expect without raid.

There are a bunch of variations of this involving one or both of these principals over 2 or more drives but for what you're describing none of this is appropriate.
Thanks for the info.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Should I install windows 7 with or without raid function?0