New Zotac Boxes (ID81, ID80 and AD04)
Hmm, thanks. I guess I was more worried about future-proofing my purchase. I've seen some benchmarks where the AMD 450 completely blows away the Atom D2700 in basic computing, 3D games, and Flash/Website browsing... but the Atom had way less CPU utilization when actually playing video. It looks like the Atom is the better choice today in terms of current needs, but the AMD might be the better choice if something drastic changes in the next few years in terms of interfaces and usage. Then there are other forums suggesting just building a Llano A6 ITX custom computer for just a few dollars more. Gahhhh.

I think I'll probably go for the zbox-id80-u barebones. I think it'll have better xbmcbuntu support if I decide to ditch openelec.
I would also take the ID80 because of the nVidia Graphics, processor is not very important for xbmc media play back, it sleeps all the time and just takes care the gpu gets enough data to do the rest...
(2012-03-04, 12:44)blueboy Wrote: Hi Guys,

Thanks for your reply. So finally i managed to install Openelec. I forgot that i can create the installation USB key from Win7 with a few clicks. After this installation was fine without any problems. Plus i managed the "no audio" problem. The workaround for this is to set Audio output:
- Audio output: Analog
- Speaker configuration: 2.0 (probably this setting is independent, so other settings here will work also)
- Audio output device: HDA Nvidia HDMI

Maybe this a useful information for people who bought or will buy also a Zotac Zbox ID 80.

The non-plus-ultra solution would be to install Win7 beside Openelec, but Openelec can only be installed using the whole HDD. But i can live with this... (will Install Openelec to a 8Gb Pendrive plus Win7 to the built in SATA HDD, and then i will select from what to boot at startup).

Thanks again for your help guys! Smile

Regards,

b

I'm so freaking confused. I get "Failed to initialize audio device" when trying to play anything with sound. Do I need to install OpenElec to get audio working on my ID81 Plus?

My audio settings are:

Audio output: HDMI
Audio output device: Custom
Custom audio device: "plug:both"
Passthrough output device: Custom
Custom passthrough device: "alsa:hdmi:CARD=NVidia"

Please help me!

Regards, SpiderDice
Setup:
- nvidia Shield TV Pro
- 8TB Synology DS214play
- 2TB External eSATA

twitter
(2012-07-22, 03:55)SpiderDice Wrote:
(2012-03-04, 12:44)blueboy Wrote: Hi Guys,

Thanks for your reply. So finally i managed to install Openelec. I forgot that i can create the installation USB key from Win7 with a few clicks. After this installation was fine without any problems. Plus i managed the "no audio" problem. The workaround for this is to set Audio output:
- Speaker configuration: 2.0 (probably this setting is independent, so other settings here will work also)

Maybe this a useful information for people who bought or will buy also a Zotac Zbox ID 80.

The non-plus-ultra solution would be to install Win7 beside Openelec, but Openelec can only be installed using the whole HDD. But i can live with this... (will Install Openelec to a 8Gb Pendrive plus Win7 to the built in SATA HDD, and then i will select from what to boot at startup).

Thanks again for your help guys! Smile

Regards,

b

I'm so freaking confused. I get "Failed to initialize audio device" when trying to play anything with sound. Do I need to install OpenElec to get audio working on my ID81 Plus?

My audio settings are:

Audio output: HDMI
Audio output device: Custom
Custom audio device: "plug:both"
Passthrough output device: Custom
Custom passthrough device: "alsa:hdmi:CARD=NVidia"

Please help me!

Regards, SpiderDice

i have had the samep problem trying to run openelec on another setup with a gt430, but from what i see this paticular device audio problem was solved by the above mentioned post why havent you set it uo according to that
My HTPC AMD A8-3870K CPU/ SilverStone ML03B/ASRock MB-A75M /Seasonic SS-400ET/Corsair XMS3 4GB
Which post?
Setup:
- nvidia Shield TV Pro
- 8TB Synology DS214play
- 2TB External eSATA

twitter
(2012-07-22, 05:28)SpiderDice Wrote: Which post?

blueboy Wrote: Hi Guys,

My HTPC AMD A8-3870K CPU/ SilverStone ML03B/ASRock MB-A75M /Seasonic SS-400ET/Corsair XMS3 4GB
So this means that I have to install Openelec to get it to work?
Zotac ID81 Plus

When I enter "hdmi:CARD=Generic,DEV=0" or "hdmi:CARD=NVidiva,DEV=0" into the settings, the audio still doesn't work. For the love of God, would someone PLEASE tell me how to fix the audio. This is really getting out of control.

Thanks!
Setup:
- nvidia Shield TV Pro
- 8TB Synology DS214play
- 2TB External eSATA

twitter
am i missing something blueboy wrote a work arround saying

- Audio output: Analog (which from what your saying you keep putting HDMI)
- Speaker configuration: 2.0

now im not saying this is going to work for you but from what you keep writing is that you havent tried it
(2012-07-22, 19:41)lagledavid Wrote: am i missing something blueboy wrote a work arround saying

- Audio output: Analog (which from what your saying you keep putting HDMI)
- Speaker configuration: 2.0

now im not saying this is going to work for you but from what you keep writing is that you havent tried it

Thanks for your reply! Do I put "HDA Nvidia HDMI" in Audio output device? Is it case sensitive?

When I scroll through the available options, there's nothing for "HDA Nvidia HDMI"

{Edit: Tried to use "HDA Nvidia HDMI" in the custom setting, and I get the same error. Failed to initialize}
Setup:
- nvidia Shield TV Pro
- 8TB Synology DS214play
- 2TB External eSATA

twitter
So the only options I have for audio output and passthrough output are the following. I don't have anything that says "HDA Nvidia HDMI". I typed it in Custom but nothing. And also have "Analog" and 2.0 speakers setup.

Audio Output
Defaults (ALSA)
Custom
iec958 (ALSA)
hdmi (ALSA)
HDA Intel PCH - hdmi - 8 (ALSA)
HDA Intel PCH - iec958 - 8 (ALSA)
HDA Intel PCH - default - 8 (ALSA)
HDA Intel PCH - hdmi - 7 (ALSA)
HDA Intel PCH - iec958 - 7 (ALSA)
HDA Intel PCH - default - 7 (ALSA)
HDA Intel PCH - hdmi - 3 (ALSA)
HDA Intel PCH - iec958 - 3 (ALSA)
HDA Intel PCH - default - 3 (ALSA)
HDA Intel PCH - hdmi - 1 (ALSA)
HDA Intel PCH - iec958 - 1 (ALSA)
HDA Intel PCH - default - 1 (ALSA)

Passthrough Device
Defaults (ALSA)
Custom
iec958 (ALSA)
hdmi (ALSA)
HDA Intel PCH - hdmi - 8 (ALSA)
HDA Intel PCH - iec958 - 8 (ALSA)
HDA Intel PCH - hdmi - 7 (ALSA)
HDA Intel PCH - iec958 - 7 (ALSA)
HDA Intel PCH - hdmi - 3 (ALSA)
HDA Intel PCH - iec958 - 3 (ALSA)
HDA Intel PCH - hdmi - 1 (ALSA)
HDA Intel PCH - iec958 - 1 (ALSA)

I'm really sad right now. *tear*
Setup:
- nvidia Shield TV Pro
- 8TB Synology DS214play
- 2TB External eSATA

twitter
Try flashing xbmcubuntu again?
Setup:
- nvidia Shield TV Pro
- 8TB Synology DS214play
- 2TB External eSATA

twitter
In openelec, the default audio options in xbmc are most of the time useless

please read the openelec wiki

I am pretty sure you will be able to easily fix your problem by ssh'ing in and using the aplay -l command

it will give you a list of all audio devices with clear descriptions, so you can identify which number device is the hdmi, etc.

Just go here: http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=...tion#Sound
Right under the heading "Sound", it tells you exactly what to do to fix media sound (I did this on 3 different computers with 5 different audio combinations and it just works)

On the same page, click on "Menu Sounds (Most Systems)" to fix the menu sounds

Do not bother with the default options you see in xbmc, just follow instructions in the wiki

EDIT: On one of my computers, I had to remove the line "rate 48000" for the menu sounds to work, but the wiki also tells you to try it if it doesn't work
(2012-07-23, 23:46)aptalca Wrote: In openelec, the default audio options in xbmc are most of the time useless

please read the openelec wiki

I am pretty sure you will be able to easily fix your problem by ssh'ing in and using the aplay -l command

it will give you a list of all audio devices with clear descriptions, so you can identify which number device is the hdmi, etc.

Just go here: http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?title=...tion#Sound
Right under the heading "Sound", it tells you exactly what to do to fix media sound (I did this on 3 different computers with 5 different audio combinations and it just works)

On the same page, click on "Menu Sounds (Most Systems)" to fix the menu sounds

Do not bother with the default options you see in xbmc, just follow instructions in the wiki

EDIT: On one of my computers, I had to remove the line "rate 48000" for the menu sounds to work, but the wiki also tells you to try it if it doesn't work

Alright. Cool.

But for some reason, when I try and ssh into the box, it doesn't take the password that I first setup. I am trying to login with "xbmc" as user. Should I just start from scratch and don't create a root password?

I'm ssh'ing over WiFi, not sure if that has anything to do with it. Sorry for all of the questions and confusion!
Setup:
- nvidia Shield TV Pro
- 8TB Synology DS214play
- 2TB External eSATA

twitter
Just worked! Had to use "hw:0,7" for both audio and passthrough outputs.

I got the sound working by using this code:

Code:
pcm.!default {
   type plug
    slave {
      pcm "hw:x,y"
      rate 48000
   }
}

Placed the "asound.conf" file in /etc/

Success! So happy right now!!!! Big Grin Big Grin
Setup:
- nvidia Shield TV Pro
- 8TB Synology DS214play
- 2TB External eSATA

twitter
(2012-07-22, 21:01)SpiderDice Wrote: Thanks for your reply! Do I put "HDA Nvidia HDMI" in Audio output device? Is it case sensitive?

When I scroll through the available options, there's nothing for "HDA Nvidia HDMI"

{Edit: Tried to use "HDA Nvidia HDMI" in the custom setting, and I get the same error. Failed to initialize}

The ID81 is intel only, no nVidia cards, that's why it doesn't work.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Zotac Boxes (ID81, ID80 and AD04)0