HVSC (stil.txt) support
hi,

i listened to some sid's tonight, and started wondering what the name of one of the tunes were..

the result, hvsc (high voltage sid collection) documents/stil.txt support (limited to one tune per .sid right now..)

work mostly done by lala, due to his parsing class Smile

a few problems

- it's "a bit" slow (that's what you get when you choose a lousy custom file format). i could probably make a lousy-to-xml converter to speed things up a bit, if i feel like it later.

- since i use lala's parsing class, it needs the documents/stil.txt to be in a local directory (it uses fstream's, could probably be replaced by a stringstream+memory cache+streambuf later on), or even better, i could replace the whole parser.

- in order to be able to perform the lookup the sid's need to be in the original hvsc paths, and artist/stuf.sid must be in a directory of the form "whateverprotocol://whateverdir/hvsc/artist/stuf.sid", since it needs to be able to identify the hvsc root dir.

- i were surprised to notice that there is no comment field in xbmc's tag structure. since there is a lot of comments in stil.txt, i was a bit disappointed.

is this something that could/would be integrated into cvs?

spiff
(spiff @ april 29 2005,01:46 Wrote:hi,

i listened to some sid's tonight, and started wondering what the name of one of the tunes were..

the result, hvsc (high voltage sid collection) documents/stil.txt support (limited to one tune per .sid right now..)

work mostly done by lala, due to his parsing class Smile

a few problems

- it's "a bit" slow (that's what you get when you choose a lousy custom file format). i could probably make a lousy-to-xml converter to speed things up a bit, if i feel like it later.

- since i use lala's parsing class, it needs the documents/stil.txt to be in a local directory (it uses fstream's, could probably be replaced by a stringstream+memory cache+streambuf later on), or even better, i could replace the whole parser.

- in order to be able to perform the lookup the sid's need to be in the original hvsc paths, and artist/stuf.sid must be in a directory of the form "whateverprotocol://whateverdir/hvsc/artist/stuf.sid", since it needs to be able to identify the hvsc root dir.

- i were surprised to notice that there is no comment field in xbmc's tag structure. since there is a lot of comments in stil.txt, i was a bit disappointed.

is this something that could/would be integrated into cvs?

spiff
as homer would have said: "whohooo"

a nice feature for us sid lovers.
  • ASRock ION 330 OpenELEC XBMC Frodo.
  • 47" LG HDTV1080p, AC3/DTS Receiver.
  • 96" Epson LCD 1080p projector
  • 2x Raspbery Pi with XBMC
yes, i agree. would be a nice feature.
since no-one has opposed such a functionality, i will
'formalize' a patch this evening.
i will leave it up to whoever who (possibly) implements it into cvs to choose where one should put stil.txt.

spiff
good work spiff Wink. hope someone will implent it asap.
okay, a update and a question

first of all, i switched to using sidlist.csv (from lala) since it's much more parse-friendly.

but now i got a bit of a problem.

- if i try to play a .sid that has been added to the database using the build with .sid tag loader support, it crashes.

- playing the same file (with the same database) using a build without .sid tagloader support works like a charm.

- playing a .sid (eg same file) with the build with sid tagloader support that has not been added to the database, it works and it also grabs the tag as expected.

any of you gurus got any idea why this could happen?

spiff
okay,

it seems the sid player is inoperable in debug compiles. compiled release and everything worked like a charm. ofcourse, there might be a memory violation somewhere in my code but i tested it extensively (eg scanned a lot of files..)

bewarned, scanning does take a lot of time. i could speed it up a bit, but then i would have to read a 8.5mb file into memory and recode the tagreader logic as to not create a new object for each file.

sf.net patch #1196183

oh, and also devs please have a look at

sf.net patch #1196174 and #1196172

spiff
(spiff @ may 05 2005,22:38 Wrote:okay,

it seems the sid player is inoperable in debug compiles. compiled release and everything worked like a charm. ofcourse, there might be a memory violation somewhere in my code but i tested it extensively (eg scanned a lot of files..)

bewarned, scanning does take a lot of time. i could speed it up a bit, but then i would have to read a 8.5mb file into memory and recode the tagreader logic as to not create a new object for each file.

sf.net patch #1196183

oh, and also devs please have a look at

sf.net patch #1196174 and #1196172

spiff
:kickass:

i'll try the patch out later today. great work.

edit:
it's later today now  Smile  but i can't get your patch to work. i have compiled it in but it doesn't show anything.

example search path smb://c64/hvsc/c64music/tel_jeroen/golden_axe.sid

edit 2:
just remembered that you changed to sidlist.csv. where do i put that file ? in the path of my last expample.

cause i get a "06-05-2005 17:29:02 info musicinfotagloadersid::load(..) unable to locate sidlist.csv"
in my log file.
(almost relevant)

it seems that the sidplayer ignores the volume setting at startup. i uploaded a patch @ sf.net to teach it some manners...

spiff
(spiff @ may 07 2005,03:19 Wrote:(almost relevant)

it seems that the sidplayer ignores the volume setting at startup. i uploaded a patch @ sf.net to teach it some manners...

spiff
any help with my question spiff ?
sorry didn't see it before now Smile

first, remove the c64music please. i thought it was overkill identification. i know it is part of the hvsc.rar file..

as for sidlist.csv, put it in your albums-folder, like $home/albums by default

btw: since you like .sid's maybe you like .mod's etc also? in that case, i uploaded a patch @ sf.net to read mod info from .mdz's (good ol' cubic player Smile), with fallback to reading the title from the module..

spiff
(spiff @ may 07 2005,20:45 Wrote:sorry didn't see it before now Smile

first, remove the c64music please. i thought it was overkill identification. i know it is part of the hvsc.rar file..

as for sidlist.csv, put it in your albums-folder, like $home/albums by default

btw: since you like .sid's maybe you like .mod's etc also? in that case, i uploaded a patch @ sf.net to read mod info from .mdz's (good ol' cubic player Smile), with fallback to reading the title from the module..

spiff
thanks for the help =)

and ofcource i'm a mod fan. been so ever since i bought my amiga 500  :kickass:

i'll compile that patch to. love the work you have done.

edit:
the sid patch works great  :bowdown: a little to slow with read idtag on. but without that and on load it's great. and it's not a problem for me cause i think it's the same for mp3's so i have it off.

i thought i would find some cubic player .mdz info files on the net along with some mods. but found nothing so i couldn't try it out Confused i was still amiga only back then.
have a peak at

http://www.textfiles.com/computers/docum...dzfile.nfo

as you then will see, it's a piece of cake to create one (ps: remember to uppercase the keywords). i've been typing quite a lot of 'em tonight Smile

(oh, and please keep the keywords at the start of the line. will fix that little quirk tomorrow..)

spiff
(spiff @ may 08 2005,02:52 Wrote:have a peak at

http://www.textfiles.com/computers/docum...dzfile.nfo

as you then will see, it's a piece of cake to create one (ps: remember to uppercase the keywords). i've been typing quite a lot of 'em tonight Smile

(oh, and please keep the keywords at the start of the line. will fix that little quirk tomorrow..)

spiff
ahh great Smile

time to get buzy i see.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HVSC (stil.txt) support0