• 5(current)
PLEX vs XBMC
(2012-10-11, 06:45)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2012-10-10, 22:36)edrikk Wrote: I think at this point the KEY advantage of Plex over XBMX is the fact that Plex can transcode videos on the fly when serving to various clients via DLNA. This is a huge benefit as one can then stream the same video to an iOS device (via a DLNA app), to a PS3, to a TV etc.

This is a much bigger deal than 'just' being client/server based. If XBMC added transcoding, given that mySQL can already be setup, XBMC will take the lead once again when compared to Plex.

Right now, Plex gets much more use from me than XBMC does, simply because of the transcoding...

XBMC will gain this feature after v12 (Frodo) (so, in theory, it should be ready for v13's stable release).

Also, in reply to some other comments, remember that small android HTPCs also have USB ports, and some even have SATA ports, in addition to standard local network streaming. The only time a transcoding server would be useful to another XBMC HTPC is if you want to stream over the internet from device to device, but like I said before, that's something that's on the roadmap.

Really never thought it would go in this direction. I no longer see the point of transcoding, even to mobile. With XBMC native to ios and android...streaming large x264 rips via Wifi or LTE is not a total pipe dream. (Thank you unlimited data plan.)
(2012-10-11, 17:49)onizuka Wrote:
(2012-10-10, 22:36)edrikk Wrote: I think at this point the KEY advantage of Plex over XBMX is the fact that Plex can transcode videos on the fly when serving to various clients via DLNA. This is a huge benefit as one can then stream the same video to an iOS device (via a DLNA app), to a PS3, to a TV etc.

This is a much bigger deal than 'just' being client/server based. If XBMC added transcoding, given that mySQL can already be setup, XBMC will take the lead once again when compared to Plex.

Right now, Plex gets much more use from me than XBMC does, simply because of the transcoding...

XBMC will gain this feature after v12 (Frodo) (so, in theory, it should be ready for v13's stable release).

Also, in reply to some other comments, remember that small android HTPCs also have USB ports, and some even have SATA ports, in addition to standard local network streaming. The only time a transcoding server would be useful to another XBMC HTPC is if you want to stream over the internet from device to device, but like I said before, that's something that's on the roadmap.

Really never thought it would go in this direction. I no longer see the point of transcoding, even to mobile. With XBMC native to ios and android...streaming large x264 rips via Wifi or LTE is not a total pipe dream. (Thank you unlimited data plan.)

Even though I wouldn't use it myself I do see the point in transcoding if it's via the internet. Just because data is unlimited you still need the speed which most will not have yet.
Seems like they have started to charge their users over at PLEX. Something called Plexpass costs $3.99 per Month.

It will give you access to new features etc. before others and "Last, but not least, PlexPass members get discounts on premium features once they’re made available to the general public."

What you think about it? Will this happen here at XBMC? Will we have to pay in the future?
(2012-10-12, 12:34)zepo Wrote: What you think about it? Will this happen here at XBMC? Will we have to pay in the future?

This will never happen Smile

XBMC is opensource software and since it's part of a foundation we can't charge for features (nor do we want to).

Donations are of course welcome to help development but you won't need to to gain access to new features
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2012-10-12, 12:34)zepo Wrote: It will give you access to new features etc. before others
so you pay them to do beta testing for them

opdenkamp / dushmaniac

xbmc-pvr [Eden-PVR builds] [now included in mainline XBMC, so no more source link here :)]
personal website: [link]

Found a problem with PVR? Report it on Trac, under "PVR - core components". Please attach the full debug log.

If you like my work, please consider donating to me and/or Team XBMC.
(2012-10-12, 12:38)Martijn Wrote:
(2012-10-12, 12:34)zepo Wrote: What you think about it? Will this happen here at XBMC? Will we have to pay in the future?

This will never happen Smile

XBMC is opensource software and since it's part of a foundation we can't charge for features (nor do we want to).

Donations are of course welcome to help development but you won't need to to gain access to new features

I believe Martijn means "Donations are of course welcome." Smile

My wifi-n chokes on many 1080p rips
LTE definitely is not able to sustain HD streams. I tried, there is always an interruption even if it works for a couple of minutes
My home broadband upload speeds max out at 6Mbps, not even enough for many 720p rips
XBMC may be native to android and ios, but how do you carry your terabytes of media with you on those portable devices?
Yes I have an unlimited mobile data plan too, but not for long. All major carriers will discontinue it sooner than later

I'd say there are plenty of reasons why transcoding would be needed
(2012-10-12, 22:49)aptalca Wrote:
(2012-10-11, 06:45)Ned Scott Wrote: XBMC will gain this feature after v12 (Frodo) (so, in theory, it should be ready for v13's stable release).

My wifi-n chokes on many 1080p rips
LTE definitely is not able to sustain HD streams. I tried, there is always an interruption even if it works for a couple of minutes
My home broadband upload speeds max out at 6Mbps, not even enough for many 720p rips
XBMC may be native to android and ios, but how do you carry your terabytes of media with you on those portable devices?
Yes I have an unlimited mobile data plan too, but not for long. All major carriers will discontinue it sooner than later

I'd say there are plenty of reasons why transcoding would be needed

All good points here. It really depends on ones location and bandwidth. Not all LTE's are created equal, at least not in this early stage. My grandfathered unlimited LTE plan is averaging a generous 35+ mbps and my home connectivity is ~65mbps up. More than enough to stream my data from home to my phone. In most cases I'll prioritize my LTE over Wifi outside as the Wifi (besides in the office) will have low speeds. Lets hope by the time transcoding is fully implemented, speeds and data plans go in a more favorable direction globally...life knows it's certainly needed...for a price. Wink

(2012-10-12, 12:34)zepo Wrote: Seems like they have started to charge their users over at PLEX. Something called Plexpass costs $3.99 per Month.

It will give you access to new features etc. before others and "Last, but not least, PlexPass members get discounts on premium features once they’re made available to the general public."

HAHAHA, the classic bait and switch tactic. First you get users in the door, then you start charging them for features above the baseline freebee.
I can't wait for the UPnP transcoding (and client/server to be honest, but yes that's later)... Then can drop Plex.

PS. Any chance that Team XBMC will try to submit the iPad/iPhone apps to the Apple App store again? Not sure if the use of private APIs have been curtailed to any extent or not... I guess with UPnP Transcoding that will also actually go away... Wink
Too many parts of XBMC violate iOS App Store terms. Add-ons, for example, violate the terms. The Team isn't interested in making watered down versions of XBMC.
(2012-10-17, 19:15)Ned Scott Wrote: Too many parts of XBMC violate iOS App Store terms. Add-ons, for example, violate the terms. The Team isn't interested in making watered down versions of XBMC.

Once a server-like XBMC with UPnP and transcoding is implemented, it would still allow developers to develop a XBMC player and submit to the appstore? Similar to the remotes that exist, but use the UPnP technology to actually play. Thinking along these lines, the remote developers should be reather easily able to "upgrade" their remotes to add this functionality?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
(2012-10-19, 08:53)steve1977 Wrote:
(2012-10-17, 19:15)Ned Scott Wrote: Too many parts of XBMC violate iOS App Store terms. Add-ons, for example, violate the terms. The Team isn't interested in making watered down versions of XBMC.

Once a server-like XBMC with UPnP and transcoding is implemented, it would still allow developers to develop a XBMC player and submit to the appstore? Similar to the remotes that exist, but use the UPnP technology to actually play. Thinking along these lines, the remote developers should be reather easily able to "upgrade" their remotes to add this functionality?

probably as long as they don't call it "XBMC player" or something which would give the appearance of being XBMC itself. It should be clearly from the name that it is not XBMC itself.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
I am a noob when it comes to HTPCs. I decided to drop cable over the summer and give life a go an antenna, streaming, and downloads. I started off with Plex and was fairly happy with it. I tried XBMC briefly but it seemed overly complicated to setup compared to the polished pre-packaging of Plex. As the summer wore on I began to play around with XBMC (and Ubuntu, new to me as well) on my laptop while my HTPC continued to use a combination of WMC and Plex. I soon made the switch to XBMC on my main rig because:
1. PVR support. Even as "beta" its better than dealing with switching between WMC and Plex. I look forward to continued polish on this front.
2. Addons. More and better supported.
3. Customization. If you are willing to put in the work, XBMC is the way to go. If you want something pre-packaged, get Plex or better yet, buy a pre-made media center device.
4. Community. I find the people on this board to be so much more supportive of us n00bs than over at Plex. Rarely did they offer any help with problems I was having and when they did it was minimal.

So if I want to stream my media library to my iphone without jailbreaking it seems I'll be needing plex then or is there a solution that works with XMBC?
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PLEX vs XBMC0