• 9(current)
PLEX vs XBMC
(2013-09-25, 23:05)nickr Wrote: No you don't need to learn to use myql. You need to learn to cut and paste some commands from a wiki page.

So then I am aware, and I stand by what I said.

Plex advantages:
- The GUI on the server is really easy to manage and has nice features
- Automatically stores your current location in media to be resumed from another client
- Can stream media over the web via MyPlex, and even allows guests - XBMC is said to be moving towards this capability

XBMC advantages:
- Doesn't require a server to always be running, the client itself pulls the media instead of asking for it to be pushed to it.
- Larger community base - though the Plex community seems to be growing
(2013-09-25, 23:40)Budwyzer Wrote:
(2013-09-25, 23:05)nickr Wrote: No you don't need to learn to use myql. You need to learn to cut and paste some commands from a wiki page.

Plex advantages:
- Automatically stores your current location in media to be resumed from another client
- Can stream media over the web via MyPlex, and even allows guests - XBMC is said to be moving towards this capability

XBMC advantages:
- Doesn't require a server to always be running, the client itself pulls the media instead of asking for it to be pushed to it.
You can stand by what you say all you want, that does not make you correct.

As stated, if you want all the central database capabilities of Plex, all you need to know how to do is copy and paste, it's a small amount of work on the user's side to get this up and running. It's not difficult, and it doesn't take that long.
From obervations on a number of threads, methinks Budwyzer==troll Smile
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Quote:As stated, if you want all the central database capabilities of Plex, all you need to know how to do is copy and paste, it's a small amount of work on the user's side to get this up and running. It's not difficult, and it doesn't take that long.

I agree with everything you stated, up to this point in the conversation. I think that MySQL is trivial to learn to work with, especially if you have any background in RDBMS's. Not the most feature-laden, but up to the job here. The one thing you are omitting, and I think you know it based on your careful choice of words (you disingenuous devil, you!), is the server-based transcoder that makes Plex so simple for the casually informed. It has become a very capable tool indeed. One may dislike the people (I, personally, greatly respect their efforts), but one can't fault the technology, IMO.
Plex does currently kick our ass in the shared library department.

for now...
(2013-09-26, 03:11)Ned Scott Wrote: Plex does currently kick our ass in the shared library department.

for now...

I must say, I do love it when you do that foreshadowing thing. *Rubs hands together*

To quote Simon Pegg:

"This is all very exciting!"
(2013-09-26, 03:11)Ned Scott Wrote: Plex does currently kick our ass in the shared library department.

for now...

I still run Plex Media Server in the background for remote streaming.

The web based player is pretty slick, and you get remote library management. The setup attempts to open the ports on your router (if you ask) so the security is dependent on the user/pass you come up with during install unless you get overly creative

The reason I don't "just use" plex around the house is basically Rom Collection Browser and Youtube. OpenELEC is a nice touch, and I'm not sure that Plex is going to build anything similar. Plex is ahead in the iOS / Android arena due to the transcoder, but not open and at a cost
(2013-09-26, 02:05)pumkinut Wrote:
(2013-09-25, 23:40)Budwyzer Wrote:

Plex advantages:

XBMC advantages:

As stated, if you want all the central database capabilities of Plex, all you need to know how to do is copy and paste, it's a small amount of work on the user's side to get this up and running. It's not difficult, and it doesn't take that long.

Then explain where I am wrong. XBMC DOES automatically store your current location in media?!?! REALLY!?!?

No? It requires someone to search a forum for a command to copy/paste into a file?

So YOU are wrong then?

Yeah, though so.

(2013-09-26, 02:48)nickr Wrote: From obervations on a number of threads, methinks Budwyzer==troll Smile

So you begin to see that your argument is now moot and so pull the Troll Card in a feeble attempt to invalidate another individual entirely... classy.

Methinks you need to learn to comprehend what you read. You are completely missing one very important word in what I mention about Plex's centralized library, that word is AUTOMATICALLY. No digging through forums to find a command to copy/paste into a folder somewhere, it just works.

I'm not saying they're completely better, again see my post lining up the points that each has over the other, so you need to stand down.
(2013-09-26, 15:13)Budwyzer Wrote:
(2013-09-26, 02:05)pumkinut Wrote:
(2013-09-25, 23:40)Budwyzer Wrote: So then I am aware, and I stand by what I said.

Plex advantages:

XBMC advantages:

Then explain where I am wrong. XBMC DOES automatically store your current location in media?!?! REALLY!?!?

No? It requires someone to search a forum for a command to copy/paste into a file?

So YOU are wrong then?

Yeah, though so.

No, you are wrong. XBMC does store current location in media on a client by client basis, if you use the library functionality. To get that ability to span multiple clients you need a central database that all the clients use. This can be accomplished by installing MySQL on a central computer, the same central machine that Plex server would go on, and then copying and pasting some commands from the wiki in order to have all XBMC clients use it as their library DB. Soooooo, where am I wrong again?
Ok, we're having different meanings of the term "automatic" in this sense.

What I mean is that once the Plex Server is online, which is required to use the Client, storing your watched location in a media happens automatically by default (nothing to setup).

Yes, in XBMC it can be done, but not without installation of a third party program and some searching on the forums. But, yes, then it does happen "automatically" just not without some optional manual input from the start.

I apologize, I should have seen sooner that what we were reading were two variants.
You don't need to search through forums, you need to RTFM on the front page of the wiki. I don't know why people are so reluctant to read documentation.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-09-26, 15:13)Budwyzer Wrote:
(2013-09-26, 02:48)nickr Wrote: From obervations on a number of threads, methinks Budwyzer==troll Smile

So you begin to see that your argument is now moot and so pull the Troll Card in a feeble attempt to invalidate another individual entirely... classy.

Methinks you need to learn to comprehend what you read. You are completely missing one very important word in what I mention about Plex's centralized library, that word is AUTOMATICALLY. No digging through forums to find a command to copy/paste into a folder somewhere, it just works.

I'm not saying they're completely better, again see my post lining up the points that each has over the other, so you need to stand down.

I withdraw the troll comment, with apologies. I think I mistook you for someone else from another thread...

All the rest of my comments in the thread stand. XBMC has implemented a whole house database system, including progress and watched status for some time now, and setting it up is very easy.
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PLEX vs XBMC0