Kindle Fire+Logitech Harmony Link as remote
Hi

I'm thinking of using Kindle Fire and Harmony Link http://www.logitech.com/en-us/1225/8439 for my HTPC.

Now i'm using a wireless keyboard for wimp. And a Logitech Harmnoy 525 in XBMC.

My plan is to use the Kindle as "Harmnoy 525 and wireless keyboard".
Then i will only have 1 controll for everythig, also my AV receiver and tv.

Will only use the Kindle as a remote, not to view movies.

Anyone know if this will work?

Thx in advance Smile
this is relevant to my interests...

but I think there may be a cheaper means of doing it than the $99 harmony device, though that's not an awful price considering I've previously paid ~$75 for just an IR repeater.

I think the cheapest and most universal (many possible control devices) answer here may be duplicating exactly what they are doing, using a USB IR blaster, like USB-UIRT (~$60 or less).

My thinking is this - the USB-UIRT or some other type of USB IR blaster connects to your HTPC, and on your kindle, an app (idk what would work, not an android expert) sends the command through your local network (wifi) to the HTPC, triggers the IR blaster to signal your TV/AV receiver etc to turn on and switch to whatever inputs.

To short answer your question, yes I think the logitech device would do exactly what you want it to. It's essentially the same thing that I am proposing you set up, only in a slicker package, because there would probably be a LOT less fiddling than if you do it with a USB Ir blaster and other android apps. The logitech being an all in one solution or hardware/apps.

The drawbacks of the logitech being that you are likely pretty locked in to using their remote app, which though it would work fine to control XBMC, may miss out on some of the features of the XBMC specific remote apps. Also at $100, it's about twice as expensive as DIY may be - which would mean you could set up two XBMC stations in different parts of your home with the $50 or less USB blasters for the same money.

My situation is that I've got two XBMC setups in different parts of the house. with one I use an MCE remote kit, with the actual remote replaced by a harmony which also controls the Projector/Av receiver/motorized screen. An RF mini keyboard is present for when typing is easiest, like searching for something.

For the other XBMC/TV setup I've got one of those lenovo wireless mini keyboards, and have to use the tv's oem remote to turn it on/off.

What I'd like to do is be able to leverage the smartphones/tablets that both my wife and I have, so that whatever is at hand can both control XBMC and the hardware it's viewed on, at whichever TV we happen to be near. We each have Iphones, she has a kindle fire, I've got an Ipad and an HP Touchpad hacked to run android. By this method the hardware remotes and keyboards become redundant, as many of the XBMC remotes have keyboard entry options.

There are hardware addons for the IOS devices which turn them into IR emitting remotes, but those aren't really practical in my opinion.

I'll be looking into the USB IR blasters and the possibility of controlling them with iOS/android apps, particularly for any apps that can send custom scripts/commands from within the app, in order to control the blaster. I'll let you know what I find.

But yeah, if you want to just get this working in a few hours with as little research and fiddling as possible, go with the Logitech device.

Hope that helps some.
btw this is a pretty good thread on the same type of topic

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...ht=blaster

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kindle Fire+Logitech Harmony Link as remote0