HDMI Extender with XBMC
Haven't seen this product discussed in the forum before, as I was surfing around the web trying to find an affordable alternative to being able to send my XBMC output to multiple TV's in my house, I came across this StarTech HDMI over IP Extender with Audio:

http://www.startech.com/AV/Extenders/HDM...~IPUSB2HD2

Purchase one on Ebay for less than $150

I just order one to test out (should have it installed this weekend), one nice advantage is the usb ports enable you to plug an IR receiver or a wireless keyboard and have complete control over the master unit from the room that has the extender. My goal is to purchase a couple more of these and have the ability to stream to all 4 of my TV's in the house from one XBMC box. I know I could also do this with ATV, but I'm this allows me to configure and maintain just one central box and run it all through a simple CAT6 cable.

Just thought I'd share....I'll keep you updated on my progress.
Sounds interesting. Do let us know how it goes - i'll be curious to see what kind of lag there is.

Flirc now has a forum: forum.flirc.tv
This product work with a single feed. If you want the same movie through out the house at the same time this is the product for you...

If you want to be able to choose what to watch from separate tv's at the same time this product will not work for you heads up.

My 411 for you...
I had started a discussion on this on http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?for...icid=95370 ... so am keen to see what your results are and will copy them onto geekzone.co.nz if thats ok.

I also went to StarTech's sales contact form and suggested they post some demo videos on youtube - they said thanks and passed on to their sales team - so will keep an eye out on youtube. I suggested they demo the device connected via wired connection to a home router and a desktop with a wired network connection; but then also demo it with a notebook connected via wireless to a home network, but with the device connected via wired to demo the response time.

My hope is to do away with having to bother with an HTPC or smart TV and just run anything I want from a notebook or better still a tablet from my couch and if I want to hear or view it over the lounge amp and TV I can just select the TV as a mirrored monitor, etc.
For ~$50 less, I like this option
http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/singl...ender.html

I've ordered from this vendor in the past, with excellent results. Although it doesn't have the USB connection, with the extra ~$50, you can download the free XBMC remote for your Android/iPhone/iPad, then take the significant other out for a nice dinner Smile
These HDMI extenders, either using IP or wireless, compress the video on-the-fly. If you care about video quality, don't use them.
Gr8rtek Wrote:For ~$50 less, I like this option
http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/singl...ender.html

I've ordered from this vendor in the past, with excellent results. Although it doesn't have the USB connection, with the extra ~$50, you can download the free XBMC remote for your Android/iPhone/iPad, then take the significant other out for a nice dinner Smile

Totally different device
Followup: It took a little trial and error but I got the unit working for my purposes. It's worth noteing that I have it 4 wired PC's in my house, another for wireless devices accessing the network at any given time (cell phones, ipads, etc), all connected to a 4 port gigabit router and another 8 port gigbit hub linked off that. All my wiring is cat 6 throughout the house, so everything tends to move along at a pretty good clip.

When I first hooked up the HDMI extended (across a 100ft of cat6 cable), and loaded up the drivers, windows recognized the extender immediately and extended the desktop directly to the TV. Audio also sync'ed right up and with a few settings in XBMC, I was able to view my desktop/XBMC on the other side of my house in less than 10 minutes.

When I fired up the first movie/video (1080p) and 2 channel sound. I noticed a lot of video/audio freezes and pops in the picture (wasn't at all what I was hoping for!). After a little messing around it appeared that the lag was coming from the ethernet hop from the router to the hub. Once I plugged both the pc and the HDMI extender to router and bypassed the hop across to the hub, all my problems seemed to go away. The video and audio played flawlessly and to my delight there was no noticible delay in sending the IR over the ethernet as well. I didn't notice any loss in video or audio quality but then again I was setting this up for a small 32" magnavox tv.

Also worth noting that it really didn't seem to be effected when I put some pressure on the network. My video is all store on seperate NAS device so essentially the video was being fed across the network twice. Once from the NAS device to the PC and then from the PC to the extender. Coupled with downloading a 6 gig video off usenet and playing a second movie from another XBMC machine from the very same NAS box, I noticed no performance issues from the StarTech device.

All in all I was quite impressed with the unit for the price, and am seriously thinking about adding a second unit to feed the other bedroom in the house.
Take a look at this; http://www.raspberrypi.org/ .. You'll (supposedly) be able to stream 1080p video from the central pc, without much hassle. There's a thread on the forums pertaining this nifty little thing.
VANSMAK - thanks for posting the results. Have you also tried it under these two scenarios - I would be interested perhaps if you could - the data flow would be the same as your results above without the hub except one leg would be wireless:

1. Laptop/PC accessing 1080p video either from internet or your local NAS - connected via wireless N or G to router - connected via wired connection to StarTech box.

2. Same as for 1 above, but Laptop/PC accessing 720 or lesser video.

JAKOBSEN - Raspberry pi looks like an awesome idea. Presumeably you could have this scenario: laptop/PC remote desktops to Raspberry connected to TV and Amp via HDMI. The data flow would then be Raspberry surfs internet or grabs music or video from local NAS and displays/plays it on the TV and Amp.
What about the RefreshRate? Can it be 24p?

What about DTS Passthru to a Amp?

If it can do both, I will buy one.
I have used quiet a few long range HDMI Extender units from KVMSwitchTech and they work great. All my applications require extensions over 300ft and their products support HD resolutions up to 330ft.
(2012-09-04, 19:34)lexirosy Wrote: I have used quiet a few long range HDMI Extender units from KVMSwitchTech and they work great. All my applications require extensions over 300ft and their products support HD resolutions up to 330ft.

300 feet! Where do you keep these things?
How about this one then? Price range moved a bit.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/produc...1&format=2
Cant find good specs on that other one.
I have used KVMSwitchTech HDMI Extender units in the past and they work great. If I am not mistaken they offer a Wireless HDMI Extender solution as well.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HDMI Extender with XBMC0