Linux xmbcbuntu 12RC2: I broke auto-launch
Sad 
I'm a new xbmc user and I just did my first install yesterday with xbmcbuntu 12 RC2 installed to SSD. The install went fine. I was able to apt-get dist-upgrade from vt1, reboot a couple times, and watch a few clips from my NAS over NFS.

Then, somewhere around my fifth reboot the htpc failed to launch straight into xbmc, and instead booted to a more typical-looking Linux login page. I'm not sure what prompted this change in behaviour, but I can only guess that it was the result of my changing the root password. I edited /etc/shadow and replaced the password hash with "*" and rebooted, but I still just get the display manager login screen.

When I installed xbmcbuntu Ubiquity asked me to create a login account and password, which I did, and I checked the box to have it log in automatically. I didn't change my user password after this, so I don't think that's the problem. I assumed that xbmc was launching from the user account that I created, but I don't know that for sure.

There's a sticky thread at the top of this forum about switching back and forth between the lubuntu desktop and xbmc, which I read, but if the solution to my problem is in there then I didn't see it.

Of course I could just reinstall xbmcbuntu, but I'd rather know what I did wrong. Any insight?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xmbcbuntu 12RC2: I broke auto-launch0