• 4(current)
Xbmc freezes lock-ups when starting videos
I can confirm, no freezes when VDPAU is disabled.

Running XBMC standalone, or using Unity-2D don't prevent freezes, it just takes longer.
Also, freezes happen more often, when WindowXML objects are shown.

Maybe XBMC (Eden) has resource issue when initializing VDPAU?
It looked like we have fixed those kind of issues during beta but maybe not. In the meantime I have rewritten vdpau. If someone knows how to compile from source I would be interested whether it fixes this issue. Here is the repo:
https://github.com/FernetMenta/xbmc
I'm also having this issue and disabling VDPAU is also not an option.
It seems to be pretty random, so I have no idea what's going on...
I have a NVidia 9600M GT by the way.
Updated Ubuntu to 12.04-pre - no more freezes up to now, but will continue testing...
(2012-04-23, 23:24)crutzi Wrote: Updated Ubuntu to 12.04-pre - no more freezes up to now, but will continue testing...

How did you upgrade? I have XBMCbuntu... can that be upgraded to 12.04?

Thanks,

H.
I used

do-release-upgrade -d

on a standard ubuntu 11.10. Not sure about XBMCbuntu though; it could work there too, but no guarantee...
I've also updated 2 Boxes that had 11.04 installed, just had to run do-release-upgrade twice (takes a while). For me 12.04 is really stable up to now, unlike 11.*.
# apt-get dist-upgrade
Might be what you want, I haven't experienced any issues after running dist-upgrade (I haven't tested it very thoroughly), However now i have a issue with vdpau not being used for some movies, seemingly the same, but that's a different topic.
(2012-04-24, 22:12)__o2 Wrote: # apt-get dist-upgrade
Might be what you want, I haven't experienced any issues after running dist-upgrade (I haven't tested it very thoroughly), However now i have a issue with vdpau not being used for some movies, seemingly the same, but that's a different topic.

Hi, Just to be clear, did you do this to XBMCbuntu? Or are you running the stock Ubuntu itself with XBMC installed?

Thanks..
(2012-04-24, 08:16)crutzi Wrote: I used

do-release-upgrade -d

on a standard ubuntu 11.10. Not sure about XBMCbuntu though; it could work there too, but no guarantee...
I've also updated 2 Boxes that had 11.04 installed, just had to run do-release-upgrade twice (takes a while). For me 12.04 is really stable up to now, unlike 11.*.

Did a "do-release-upgrade -d" on XBMCBuntu. This resulted in a non functional envoirment. Not all XBMCBuntu changes to Ubuntu survived the upgrade to 12.04. for one the nVidia driver is missing and "sudo apt-get install nvidia-current" doesn't (re)install it.

Since my XBMCBuntu envoirment was broken after upgrade i switched to OpenELEC (1.95.2 (2.0 Beta 2) with Eden).
For one the VDPAU problem does not persist in OpenELEC.
My lowend system also performs much better with OpenELEC than XBMCBuntu.
I can recommend it if your hardware is supported.
I did try
Code:
sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Rebooted and on the first video I played, I got audio for a second, the screen blacked out and could not get a reponse from my machine. I had to go to another machine, Putty into the XBMC machine and rebooted it.

I assume that OpenElec is a good option, but I spent so much time getting this to work right....

But what about FernetMenta's post? Anyone try this...? I do not have a clue how I would go about re-compiling and updating the vdpau.

(2012-04-23, 20:49)FernetMenta Wrote: It looked like we have fixed those kind of issues during beta but maybe not. In the meantime I have rewritten vdpau. If someone knows how to compile from source I would be interested whether it fixes this issue. Here is the repo:

Thanks.
sorry, cant delet this double post
(2012-04-24, 22:55)hernandito Wrote:
(2012-04-24, 22:12)__o2 Wrote: # apt-get dist-upgrade

Hi, Just to be clear, did you do this to XBMCbuntu? Or are you running the stock Ubuntu itself with XBMC installed?

Thanks..

Sorry 'bout that, yea I'm running XBMCbuntu on an Acer Revo.
XBMC (11.0 Git:Unknown), Platform: Linux (Ubuntu 11.10 - XBMCbuntu, 3.0.0-17-generic i686). Built on Mar 23 2012
(2012-04-25, 15:49)hernandito Wrote: I did try
Code:
sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Rebooted and on the first video I played, I got audio for a second, the screen blacked out and could not get a reponse from my machine. I had to go to another machine, Putty into the XBMC machine and rebooted it.

I assume that OpenElec is a good option, but I spent so much time getting this to work right....

But what about FernetMenta's post? Anyone try this...? I do not have a clue how I would go about re-compiling and updating the vdpau.

(2012-04-23, 20:49)FernetMenta Wrote: It looked like we have fixed those kind of issues during beta but maybe not. In the meantime I have rewritten vdpau. If someone knows how to compile from source I would be interested whether it fixes this issue. Here is the repo:

Thanks.
I just compiled it under gentoo with a modified xbmc ebuild:
Code:
# emerge -v xbmc

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   *] media-tv/xbmc-9999  USE="alsa bluetooth css mysql projectm pulseaudio pvr rsxs samba sse sse2 udev vaapi vdpau webserver xrandr -airplay (-altivec) -avahi -bluray -cec -debug -goom -joystick -midi -profile -rtmp" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB

>>> Verifying ebuild manifests
>>> Emerging (1 of 1) media-tv/xbmc-9999
>>> Unpacking source...
Cloning into bare repository /usr/portage/distfiles/egit-src/xbmc...
remote: Counting objects: 175615, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (56143/56143), done.
remote: Total 175615 (delta 126470), reused 160630 (delta 116060)
Receiving objects: 100% (175615/175615), 313.10 MiB | 1.11 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (126470/126470), done.
GIT NEW clone -->
   repository:               git://github.com/FernetMenta/xbmc
   at the commit:            f4271fd784bb11179318bb199204eddd3ac1aea4
   branch:                   master
   storage directory:        "/usr/portage/distfiles/egit-src/xbmc"
   checkout type:            bare repository
Cloning into /var/tmp/portage/media-tv/xbmc-9999/work/xbmc-9999...
done.
Branch branch-master set up to track remote branch master from origin.
Switched to a new branch 'branch-master'
>>> Unpacked to /var/tmp/portage/media-tv/xbmc-9999/work/xbmc-9999
>>> Source unpacked in /var/tmp/portage/media-tv/xbmc-9999/work
>>> Preparing source in /var/tmp/portage/media-tv/xbmc-9999/work/xbmc-9999 ...
* Applying xbmc-9999-nomythtv.patch ...                                                  [ ok ]
* Running eautoreconf in '/var/tmp/portage/media-tv/xbmc-9999/work/xbmc-9999' ...

[...]

>>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache...
>>> Original instance of package unmerged safely.
* Visit http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_Online_Manual
>>> media-tv/xbmc-9999 merged.

* Messages for package media-tv/xbmc-9999:

* Visit http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_Online_Manual
>>> Auto-cleaning packages...

>>> No outdated packages were found on your system.

* GNU info directory index is up-to-date.
goldorak xbmc #

but no luck, i have the same random freeze...

I have it too, same symptoms as everyone else.

I've noticed something though.. If I pause a second after I highlight the video I want to watch, I almost never get the lockup. If I scroll through and hit enter as soon as the video is highlighted, there's a high probability of the lockup.

People seem to be pointing at vdpau... Could it be something to do with vdpau + audio, too? I have everything going out of my nvidia card (honest to god nvidia card, not a revo or anything) via hdmi; it seems like it's within the realm of conceivability, at least, that there might be some interactions going on there.
(2012-04-24, 08:16)crutzi Wrote: I used

do-release-upgrade -d

1. Sounds interesting crutzi, can you give us some details about your hardware? Looks like many of us are running Nvidia (see my signature)

2. Did you start with 64bit or 32bit Ubuntu 11.10?
/Jan-Erik

XBMCbuntu Eden
Acer Aspire 3600, NVidia ION
Linux 3.0.0-24-generic (Now running stable without any freeze)
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbmc freezes lock-ups when starting videos3