• 5(current)
Xbmc freezes lock-ups when starting videos
(2012-04-26, 06:12)Polydwarf Wrote: I have it too, same symptoms as everyone else.

I've noticed something though.. If I pause a second after I highlight the video I want to watch, I almost never get the lockup. If I scroll through and hit enter as soon as the video is highlighted, there's a high probability of the lockup.

This has been my experience. The times where I've had the audio/no video followed by freeze up is when I scrolled through the list quickly and pressed play.
With 12.04 now out I maybe it will be worth testing.
I wonder if they are going to put out a updated version to fix any of this stuff??

(2012-04-26, 16:02)BORIStheBLADE Wrote: I wonder if they are going to put out a updated version to fix any of this stuff??

If all with problem can turn on logging, recreate the problem in as few steps as possible with good description of the steps and upload the log file it will be easier to fix the problem.
The problem I think, is that I have not seen the problem occur every time, but the more people upload their log files, it will be easier to narrow it down.
/Jan-Erik

XBMCbuntu Eden
Acer Aspire 3600, NVidia ION
Linux 3.0.0-24-generic (Now running stable without any freeze)
(2012-04-26, 08:05)Jan-Erik Wrote: 1. Sounds interesting crutzi, can you give us some details about your hardware? Looks like many of us are running Nvidia (see my signature)

2. Did you start with 64bit or 32bit Ubuntu 11.10?

1. Tested it on one ASRock ION 330 HT-BD, two ZBox ID41's and one selfmade Intel Core i5 Desktop w/ Nvidia GTX 460

2. All of them were running 11.04 and 11.10, 64bit only. Seen the same effect with all of them.

Since they have been upgraded to 12.10, not a single freeze. ZBoxes running XBMC for days now (digital signage, lots of random video/slideshow/still picture changes)

When testing on < 12.10, I've been switching Slideshows/Videos in 2-Minute intervals. Got constant freezes in less than one hour, usually in about 10-20 minutes. I assume it that the way XBMC Eden handles threads triggers an issue with the nvidea VDPAU init, but that has been fixed in Linux 3.2 kernels?

I'm also having these freezes. I only recently updated my Eden RC2 to final version. I never had the freeze happen to me on RC2 but it is happening now a few times a day with final version. Turning off VDPAU is a temporary fix and is fine for now as my Acer Revo 3700 plays 720p and less great with VDPAU off, 1080 is a no go.

When I get the time I will try to grab some log files.
(2012-04-26, 20:36)crutzi Wrote:
(2012-04-26, 08:05)Jan-Erik Wrote: 1. Sounds interesting crutzi, can you give us some details about your hardware? Looks like many of us are running Nvidia (see my signature)

2. Did you start with 64bit or 32bit Ubuntu 11.10?

1. Tested it on one ASRock ION 330 HT-BD, two ZBox ID41's and one selfmade Intel Core i5 Desktop w/ Nvidia GTX 460

2. All of them were running 11.04 and 11.10, 64bit only. Seen the same effect with all of them.

Since they have been upgraded to 12.10, not a single freeze. ZBoxes running XBMC for days now (digital signage, lots of random video/slideshow/still picture changes)

When testing on < 12.10, I've been switching Slideshows/Videos in 2-Minute intervals. Got constant freezes in less than one hour, usually in about 10-20 minutes. I assume it that the way XBMC Eden handles threads triggers an issue with the nvidea VDPAU init, but that has been fixed in Linux 3.2 kernels?

Hey HEY!

Starting to get tired of all the "killall -9 xbmc.bin", but looks like I have the system running stable now

I think a big thank you is in order to crutzi for the tip about upgrade to the developer version

Tried to run "do-release-upgrade -d" on XBMCbuntu and it broke the system with OpenGL missing, loks like XBMCbuntu is not happy to be upgraded (In the boot menu it had change name to ...3.2.0-24-generic-pae. Don't know what pae is, but can pae be the problem?
(Found this link for pae: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EnablingPAE )

But I selected "Previous Linux versions" in the boot menu and selected "Linux xbmc 3.2.0-24-generic"and now everything looks stable

Can anyone tell me how to move "Linux xbmc 3.2.0-24-generic from the previos version screen to the top og GRUB boot loader menu so it will automatically run at next boot?
(I'm a bit scared to remove pae)

I'm running on NVidia ION as many in this thread do
/Jan-Erik

XBMCbuntu Eden
I've got the same problem as most people in this thread, it happens randomly and I haven't seemed to relate it to any specific pattern.

I'll be watching for hopefully a "simple" fix for us who are less technical inclined to alter anything advanced Tongue
nvm
(2012-04-28, 22:29)Jan-Erik Wrote: Can anyone tell me how to move "Linux xbmc 3.2.0-24-generic from the previos version screen to the top og GRUB boot loader menu so it will automatically run at next boot?

I was facing the same problem and solved it this way:

Edit the default grub file (using nano here)

Code:
sudo nano -B /etc/default/grub

change:

Code:
GRUB_DEFAULT=0

to:

Code:
GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true

then:

Code:
sudo update-grub

After that reboot, choose the correct operating system and it will save it as default option.
(2012-04-29, 04:38)ursli Wrote:
(2012-04-28, 22:29)Jan-Erik Wrote: Can anyone tell me how to move "Linux xbmc 3.2.0-24-generic from the previos version screen to the top og GRUB boot loader menu so it will automatically run at next boot?

I was facing the same problem and solved it this way:

Edit the default grub file (using nano here)

Code:
sudo nano -B /etc/default/grub

change:

Code:
GRUB_DEFAULT=0

to:

Code:
GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true

then:

Code:
sudo update-grub

After that reboot, choose the correct operating system and it will save it as default option.

Thank you ursli!

I had changed to
Code:
GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
but was missing the line
Code:
GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true

Now I have a everything in order again.
Going from freeze 21 times + 1 video always crashing last day to 0 freeze and no crash makes me a happy man Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin
/Jan-Erik

XBMCbuntu Eden
Jan-Erik,

Thanks for the information, but I knew it wouldn't be this easy. I did a do-release-upgrade (but not to the devel....to the lts one), and I blew up my box. It updated OK, but I got the dreaded opengl error. I believe this is because the nvidia driver is not loading in x11 and it's the nouveau one. When I try to install nvidia-current (remove, purge, install), I get a bunch of error messages and it fails to load the nvidia driver.

I try to install the nvidia one from their web site (the .run file), and it fails to install because of the nouveau one.

I should have known better. Oh well, I really don't want to, but I might try to go to the LTS and just rebuild from scratch than use the xbmcbuntu one. It's a shame because Dharma worked wonders....i mean, it's like I didn't have one single problem with it. I figured Eden would be a step up and everything would continue to work, but I was wrong. Sad Hopefully the clean install and the PPA's will be good.
(2012-04-30, 03:47)wiz561 Wrote: Jan-Erik,

Thanks for the information, but I knew it wouldn't be this easy. I did a do-release-upgrade (but not to the devel....to the lts one), and I blew up my box. It updated OK, but I got the dreaded opengl error. I believe this is because the nvidia driver is not loading in x11 and it's the nouveau one. When I try to install nvidia-current (remove, purge, install), I get a bunch of error messages and it fails to load the nvidia driver.

I try to install the nvidia one from their web site (the .run file), and it fails to install because of the nouveau one.

I should have known better. Oh well, I really don't want to, but I might try to go to the LTS and just rebuild from scratch than use the xbmcbuntu one. It's a shame because Dharma worked wonders....i mean, it's like I didn't have one single problem with it. I figured Eden would be a step up and everything would continue to work, but I was wrong. Sad Hopefully the clean install and the PPA's will be good.

Hi wiz561, hope I can save you?

I been there too with the OpenGL problem, read post #66 in this thread and I explain your problem and the fix.
It looks like the upgrade make two different boot options. You have to select the right Linux version ending in ".generic" under "Previous Linux versions" and you're back in business. Later post explain how to automatically bot into the right Linux version.

PM me and later today I send you the full steps I used.

BTW: I still have no reason to change my signature after two days.
/Jan-Erik

XBMCbuntu Eden
@Jan-Erik
How much ram does your system have installed? Without PAE a 32bit os can only address 3GB. Ubuntu would use pae automatically when it detects > 3GB of ram. Not sure what happens if pae is installed on systems with less than 3GB.
(2012-04-30, 07:53)Jan-Erik Wrote: I been there too with the OpenGL problem, read post #66 in this thread and I explain your problem and the fix.
It looks like the upgrade make two different boot options. You have to select the right Linux version ending in ".generic" under "Previous Linux versions" and you're back in business. Later post explain how to automatically bot into the right Linux version.

Jan-Erik,

Hi! Thanks for the info. In the grub menu, I don't think I saw the non-pae kernel. However, in the /boot, I do have pae and just the 'generic' kernel. I'll have to check it out tonight, as I'm not in front of my computer now.

And, lucky for me, I only have 2048 meg of ram. Since everything's being offloaded to the GPU for processing, I think I don't need anything more than that.

Thanks!
(2012-04-30, 09:33)FernetMenta Wrote: @Jan-Erik
How much ram does your system have installed? Without PAE a 32bit os can only address 3GB. Ubuntu would use pae automatically when it detects > 3GB of ram. Not sure what happens if pae is installed on systems with less than 3GB.

Thanks for the info, if you point me to the right log file I might have trace of the boot with PAE that failed with missing OpenGL

Think I have 3 or 4GB and reserve 512MB for graphic card
Code:
cat /proc/meminfo
returns 3GB ram

/Jan-Erik

XBMCbuntu Eden
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbmc freezes lock-ups when starting videos3