• 2(current)
Xbmc freezes lock-ups when starting videos
(2012-04-11, 15:55)LastCoder Wrote:
(2012-04-10, 21:48)alexvanniel Wrote: .. the video does not come forward, the audio plays for a second or so and then all of a sudden dies (my receiver looses HDMI audio) but the timer/counter still plays. XBMC is then still responsive and I can go where I want up until I press X to stop the movie.

you described exactly the behavior of XBMC here ! After a freeze I do a login via TTY console, kill the xbmc process, start xbmc again and can play the video without problems .. it's unfortunately not directly repeatable, means it happens often but not always with the same videos; I'll check my logs ..

Greetz

LastCoder

You might want to post your log too. I had to post my xbmc.old.log though, since the system had to be restarted, I wanted to use the xbmc log uploader, and thus a new log was created. Luckily you can upload your .old.log with the logfile uploader though. Handy addon.
alexvanniel: you are using NVidia driver 280. This one had problems with multithreaded GL applications. Line 5039 of your log is the last entry of the video player thread. Line 5075, thread id of video player thread, but doing cleanup.
Can you upgrade to 295? 295.33 has some problems too, but is not as bad as 280. I haven't tried 295.40 yet.
(2012-04-11, 16:20)FernetMenta Wrote: alexvanniel: you are using NVidia driver 280. This one had problems with multithreaded GL applications. Line 5039 of your log is the last entry of the video player thread. Line 5075, thread id of video player thread, but doing cleanup.
Can you upgrade to 295? 295.33 has some problems too, but is not as bad as 280. I haven't tried 295.40 yet.

As the official Ubuntu repos don't have anything newer then 280, how would I go about installing the latest Nvidia drivers? Would that be something I could pickup from the website of Nvidia, and would that not upset my system? As in: dependency problems etc etc? Or do you happen to know a repo I can install them from?
I prefer downloading from nvidia and use nvidia installer. It's very straightforward. Ubuntu-X offers a ppa. At least they have 295.33 available: https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/x-updates
(2012-04-11, 17:05)FernetMenta Wrote: I prefer downloading from nvidia and use nvidia installer. It's very straightforward. Ubuntu-X offers a ppa. At least they have 295.33 available: https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/x-updates

I will see if I can get the installer from Nvidia. Latest version ok? I see their latest driver is 295.40 Should that at least contribute to minimizing problems?

edit: I should read better. You have not tested 295.40 yet... I will see what I can do. Won't be today though but I will keep you posted.
I quickly updated the drivers from 280 to 295.33 (install package from Nvidia website) and tried to play several Youtube videos. Again after a couple of playbacks, the video is not shown but the counter is, several seconds of audio can be heard and then it gets cut off. Well, you get the drill. I will post a logfile tomorrow, gotta go and do some stuff atm.
(2012-04-10, 21:48)alexvanniel Wrote: .. the video does not come forward, the audio plays for a second or so and then all of a sudden dies (my receiver looses HDMI audio) but the timer/counter still plays. XBMC is then still responsive and I can go where I want up until I press X to stop the movie.

you described exactly the behavior of XBMC here ! After a freeze I do a login via TTY console, kill the xbmc process, start xbmc again and can play the video without problems .. it's unfortunately not directly repeatable, means it happens often but not always with the same videos; I'll check my logs ..

Greetz

LastCoder

Exact same symptoms as i am experiencing.
Agree, also with me, I'll get a log file when it happens, for me is almost every time after a wakeup from suspend and when I choose Live TV on with TVHeadend or play and AVI. kill the xbmc process then I can play the same video. Plus when I connect with to same video with another XBMC (WIn7) PC it plays the file/live TV ? Strange.
(2012-04-11, 22:22)serrano Wrote:

Greetz

LastCoder

Exact same symptoms as i am experiencing.

Good to know that I'm not alone with this problem.
It's happened with SMB shares and USB devices, seems to happen when XBMC first loads.
I'll play video but just the sound plays for a few seconds then stops and counter keeps running til I hit stop then XBMC will freeze.
Then I'll hit Alt+Print Screen+k which takes me back to login screen. I log back in, XBMC reloads, I then can play same video with out problem.

It does seem to go away after the first crash and re-loading of XBMC...
I run an ION2 card, sounds like from earlier posts that this is a Nvidia driver problem?

I have the same problem ever since I upgraded to 11.0

I have updated my nvidia drivers to the ones from the x-updates PPA but am still getting the crash. The only errors I see in the log are about PulseAudio, which is not installed (it was removed, hoping to solve the issues). Here's the log: http://pastebin.com/YpWBJ8nd

Flow of the crashes is: I start a video, it will start playing but never show the video, only sound is played. Next action I do with the remote will freeze XBMC completely. I SSH onto the machine, kill the process, start it again. I can then play the same video without problems. Problem will happen after playing some more videos, anywhere from 2 to 15.
I don't think it is an Nvidia-Problem

Somebody read this Thread about crashes on Ubuntu 11.10?
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=125759&page=3

It seams that the only 100% solution was to upgrade to Ubuntu 12.4.
I know it is still BETA, but it seems to be more stable then 11.10 ever was. For me, I can tell that I had not any crash since my upgrade, that is exactly 3 weeks ago. Before that, I've had a crash every 2nd-3rd Video.

Unfortunately, I don't know if XBMCbuntu users are able to upgrade their system, everyone else should try it. (don't forget to backup, just in case... Wink )
I would like to see the Dev-Team re-release "XBMC Live - eden" with XBMCbuntu 12.04 LTS.
12.04 LTS is all most ready to be released and it would be the better option.
I had a similar problem with my Revo and laptop running Win 7, videos would run for about 20 secs then freeze but sound would continue. Videos would play fine outside XBMC and using my ATV2. Both had Nvidia GPUs and I had updated both to latest driver.
I was using Aeon Nox Git skin but after changing back to Aeon Nox 2.0 everything plays fine.

Steve

In order to track this down we need to reduce the number of variables. Please start trying to reproduce with default skin and no additional add-ons. Please enable debug logging. Doing this by an advanced setting (check out the wiki) avoids the onscreen debug info.
There is a known issue with NVidia driver 295. It may cause deadlocks if an application tries to spawn a process. Please check the number of processes running when the issue occurred. Is there more than one process related to xmbc?
(2012-04-12, 05:47)kidtwisted Wrote: I would like to see the Dev-Team re-release "XBMC Live - eden" with XBMCbuntu 12.04 LTS.
12.04 LTS is all most ready to be released and it would be the better option.

I agree! I wish a live version would have been kept.

• 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbmc freezes lock-ups when starting videos3