• 9(current)
Release CetonTV+HDHomeRun - Watch TV on XBMC (WIN/OSX)
uspino Wrote:I think there should be at least 3 (medium, good, best) for every resolution, that's why maybe 2 settings would work better. 720p should be allowed to go as high as 6 or 8 Mbps - FIOS and Comcast clients have more than sufficient up/down bandwidth for that. In case it is any help, here are the resolutions used by Hauppauge on their WinTV Extend TV server (which by the way you should take a look at - it also works with VLC - maybe it can even work with your script:

Sorry for the late response - family duties

I might just copy the same settings... and WinTV Extend TV server isnt free Sad

Thoughts: A RaspberryPi (http://www.raspberrypi.org/ ) with CetonTV sounds interesting Smile
For $35, its like an extender

EDIT: Testing H264/AAC right now. Going to change the settings in XBMC for resolution + quality(low,medium,high)
EDIT2: It uses alot more cpu to transcode to H264, but quality is much better. Guessing there's more compression?
mcheng89 Wrote:Thoughts: A RaspberryPi (http://www.raspberrypi.org/ ) with CetonTV sounds interesting Smile
For $35, its like an extender

Well, if RaspberryPi is able tu run XBMC, you'd actually be about to invent the cheapest SlingCatcher-like extender ever created. Smile

Quote:EDIT: Testing H264/AAC right now. Going to change the settings in XBMC for resolution + quality(low,medium,high)
EDIT2: It uses alot more cpu to transcode to H264, but quality is much better. Guessing there's more compression?

It does take more CPU power - but playback is smooth as silk on any low-cost ION PC's, and it's gorgeous on IOS devices.
uspino Wrote:Well, if RaspberryPi is able tu run XBMC, you'd actually be about to invent the cheapest SlingCatcher-like extender ever created. Smile

It does take more CPU power - but playback is smooth as silk on any low-cost ION PC's, and it's gorgeous on IOS devices.

XBMC on RaspberryPi:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/571

I created these settings in XBMC.
Let me know you think theres anything I should change:
Direct Stream
240 - Low (100kbps)|Medium (200kbps)|High (300kbps)
360 - Low (300kbps)|Medium (500kbps)|High (700kbps)
480 - Low (500kbps)|Medium (1000kbps)|High (1500kbps)
576 - Low (1250kbps)|Medium (2000kbps)|High (2750kbps)
720 - Low (2000kbps)|Medium (3000kbps)|High (4000kbps)
1080 - Low (3000kbps)|Medium (4000kbps)|High (5000kbps)
mcheng89 Wrote:XBMC on RaspberryPi:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/571

I created these settings in XBMC.
Let me know you think theres anything I should change:
Direct Stream
240 - Low (100kbps)|Medium (200kbps)|High (300kbps)
360 - Low (300kbps)|Medium (500kbps)|High (700kbps)
480 - Low (500kbps)|Medium (1000kbps)|High (1500kbps)
576 - Low (1250kbps)|Medium (2000kbps)|High (2750kbps)
720 - Low (2000kbps)|Medium (3000kbps)|High (4000kbps)
1080 - Low (3000kbps)|Medium (4000kbps)|High (5000kbps)

That sounds about right. Once I look at the video on a big, big screen, I'll tell if there's need for a yet higher bitrate on 720 and 1080. Are you going to make it available this weekend?

Now let's buy ourselves 4 RaspberryPi's for the price of an AppleTV Smile

Edit: One question: what happens if all 4 tuners are being used by WMC and you try to use remoteCeton?
uspino Wrote:That sounds about right. Once I look at the video on a big, big screen, I'll tell if there's need for a yet higher bitrate on 720 and 1080. Are you going to make it available this weekend?

Now let's buy ourselves 4 RaspberryPi's for the price of an AppleTV Smile

Edit: One question: what happens if all 4 tuners are being used by WMC and you try to use remoteCeton?

I can put in checks to make sure that it is not already running.
But I think the remoteCeton will take over the stream... Wmc would do that too if remoteCeton is running

And for the transcoding, expect that in a few hours. Smile

EDIT1: FINISHED Server side support. Now doing XBMC. Then Testing
EDIT2: XBMC DONE. Testing now...

@europorsche914: your change for video resolution is in now! I create a black background so you dont see the menu while it is loading
mcheng89 Wrote:I can put in checks to make sure that it is not already running.
But I think the remoteCeton will take over the stream... Wmc would do that too if remoteCeton is running

And for the transcoding, expect that in a few hours. Smile

EDIT1: FINISHED Server side support. Now doing XBMC. Then Testing
EDIT2: XBMC DONE. Testing now...

@europorsche914: your change for video resolution is in now! I create a black background so you dont see the menu while it is loading

Thanks! Does this version transcode to h264? Im excited now to update to this new version Nod
europorsche914 Wrote:Thanks! Does this version transcode to h264? Im excited now to update to this new version Nod

Yes it does Smile. Guessing this means it would be alot more usable outside the house now, since you get better quality for lower bitrate!
Still have some small changes to transcoding to improve speed, but that doesnt affect functionality.

TODO: Get VLC 2.0 working now since that was just released. Start working on tuner sharing. Get iOS Streaming!
mcheng89 Wrote:Yes it does Smile. Guessing this means it would be alot more usable outside the house now, since you get better quality for lower bitrate!
Still have some small changes to transcoding to improve speed, but that doesnt affect functionality.

TODO: VLC 2.0 working now since that was just released. Start working on tuner sharing. Get iOS Streaming!

Basic IOS streaming will work right away through apps with HTTP streaming like GoodPlayer or BuzzPlayer. You can access the stream through http://localhost:8563/ but the stream has to be iniciated through a web browser... And I'm guessing it's going to look fantastic with H264 transcoding.
uspino Wrote:Basic IOS streaming will work right away through apps with HTTP streaming like GoodPlayer or BuzzPlayer. You can access the stream through http://localhost:8563/ but the stream has to be iniciated through a web browser... And I'm guessing it's going to look fantastic with H264 transcoding.

If you want to use the api to start the stream, I changed it in this release.
Code:
http://localhost:8555/play?tuner=4&channel=1&transcodeBitrate=<bitrate>&transcodeWidth=<width>

You can actually start and play with one call, just stick in the redirect option!
Code:
http://localhost:8555/play?tuner=4&channel=1&transcodeBitrate=<bitrate>&transcodeWidth=<width>&redirect=true
It will automatically redirect to the http://localhost:8563/ stream

But I want an easier way to stream. (with epg and channel list)
If you go to http://localhost:8555/m/ you can see that I already have a list of channels and epg data.
OK, this is starting to be ridiculously convenient. Actually GoodPlayer is *almost* able to play the HD direct stream from remoteCeton. Can you imagine how is it going to look on the retina-display, quad-core iPad 3? Laugh

EDIT: One more idea. In conjuction with a UPNP/DLNA server like Serviio, I'm getting the remoteCeton direct stream on my DLNA TV!
uspino Wrote:OK, this is starting to be ridiculously convenient. Actually GoodPlayer is *almost* able to play the HD direct stream from remoteCeton. Can you imagine how is it going to look on the retina-display, quad-core iPad 3? Laugh

EDIT: One more idea. In conjuction with a UPNP/DLNA server like Serviio, I'm getting the remoteCeton direct stream on my DLNA TV!

Just tried it on Buzz Player (iPad 1!) and works great! at 720, 1000kbps.
I wonder what else we can get this running on Smile

Edit: Maybe PS3 with UPnP??
Now I have noticed something that may require some attention in the future. Whenever playing in xbmc you will notice horizontal lines during action scenes (the screen shot on the first post highlights the issue). This is caused by the video stream being interlaced. In plugin versions prior to v1.6.3 the dvd player in xbmc handled all processing of the video (i havent upgraded to v1.6.3 so I can not speak as to whether the issue still exists now that the stream is h264..), maybe some flag must be thrown to deinterlace the incoming video stream on the client pc? When I view the stream in vlc (on client pc) and turn on deinterlacing, the picture quality vastly improves.
1.6.3's new transcoding works fantastic on my apple tv 2! I can now watch HD channels with smooth playback! (I use 720 output and low quality)

While we're talking about apple tv 2, any thoughts on where getting to handling apple tv 2 commands is on the priority list? e.g. I'd like to be able to hit the menu button and have it function the same way as if I hit ESC on my xbmc client PC. The only way for me to stop a stream is to completely reset the apple tv 2 which is getting quite frustrating
europorsche914 Wrote:Now I have noticed something that may require some attention in the future. Whenever playing in xbmc you will notice horizontal lines during action scenes (the screen shot on the first post highlights the issue). This is caused by the video stream being interlaced. In plugin versions prior to v1.6.3 the dvd player in xbmc handled all processing of the video (i havent upgraded to v1.6.3 so I can not speak as to whether the issue still exists now that the stream is h264..), maybe some flag must be thrown to deinterlace the incoming video stream on the client pc? When I view the stream in vlc (on client pc) and turn on deinterlacing, the picture quality vastly improves.

I'll take a look. Deinterlacing doesnt look like it takes much cpu, so maybe I might just do it in vlc?
There is a way to change the setting in XBMC. have to find out if theres a way to do it in from the plugin...

LehighBri Wrote:1.6.3's new transcoding works fantastic on my apple tv 2! I can now watch HD channels with smooth playback! (I use 720 output and low quality)

While we're talking about apple tv 2, any thoughts on where getting to handling apple tv 2 commands is on the priority list? e.g. I'd like to be able to hit the menu button and have it function the same way as if I hit ESC on my xbmc client PC. The only way for me to stop a stream is to completely reset the apple tv 2 which is getting quite frustrating

If you have time now, we can do that now. I might need your help in getting some logs.

Give me a few minutes and I'll tell you what to look for.

EDIT: Ok can you spam the button a few times for each button (Remember the order that you pressed those buttons Smile ) that you want implemented and then send me a copy of the log.
The buttons ids get outputted to the log: self.log('onAction ' + str(action))

From the wiki: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Glo...ple_Remote
It looks like menu is 6 on apple tv... but 6 is also page down on the pc?

EDIT2: Let me know how this works for you: http://www.mediafire.com/?wbl7b9i1d291mcz
mcheng89 Wrote:Just tried it on Buzz Player (iPad 1!) and works great! at 720, 1000kbps.
I wonder what else we can get this running on Smile

Edit: Maybe PS3 with UPnP??

You can use any DLNA device: it works fine on PS3, Samsung TV, WDTV Live...

Quote:Now I have noticed something that may require some attention in the future. Whenever playing in xbmc you will notice horizontal lines during action scenes (the screen shot on the first post highlights the issue). This is caused by the video stream being interlaced. In plugin versions prior to v1.6.3 the dvd player in xbmc handled all processing of the video (i havent upgraded to v1.6.3 so I can not speak as to whether the issue still exists now that the stream is h264..), maybe some flag must be thrown to deinterlace the incoming video stream on the client pc? When I view the stream in vlc (on client pc) and turn on deinterlacing, the picture quality vastly improves.

You are absolutely right here.
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
CetonTV+HDHomeRun - Watch TV on XBMC (WIN/OSX)10