[dev] CetonTV+HDHomeRun - Watch TV on XBMC (WIN/OSX)

Thread Rating:
  • 10 Votes - 4.3 Average
bartenderck Offline
(2014-07-21 19:45)flipontheradio Wrote:  I've decided to develop a program that will auto load all the logos into the guide for anyone who wants them. It works on the web interface and on the mobile site, and should also load them into XBMC. If this is something you're interested in I need some help. I need a few channel map files from people with different cable providers and also a few beta testers. Message me if you can help with both. Here's another screen shot of the web interface with logos.

[Image: cetonscreen2.jpg]

It's going to take me another week to create all the logos, and probably a week to get a beta version done (if I can get the channel map files).

I used icons inside of Windows Media Center and it adds so much. I would love this on Ceton XBMC.

Has anyone tried this ceton xbmc on an Amazon Fire with XBMC? Curious if it works well
find quote
hotshot2k3 Offline
Here is what I have done since I can't get xbmc to work.

1. Created a .bat file for each channel. It opens VLC in fullscreen and if a channel is already playing it kills that task first so only one instance of vlc is running.

taskkill /im vlc.exe
"C:\Program Files (x86)\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" "http://X.X.X.X:8888/play?channel=502&format=ts&redirect=true" -f

2. Installed Autohotkey

3. Created a script that will start a channel based on certain key strokes. So basically if I press Shift + 8 or * on a WMC remote control and then the channel numbers right after it will run the .bat file for that channel.

+8::
Input, userKey, I L3
If userKey = 470
Run, "C:\TV\470.bat"
return

Now what I would really love is a GUI for this that has a on EPG guide much like pseudotv. So that if you click on a channel in the EPG guide it will trigger the .bat file
(This post was last modified: 2014-08-10 16:17 by hotshot2k3.)
find quote
PowerLion1 Offline
So, I'm moving to Japan in the spring and plan on streaming from my Ceton InfiniTV 4 (PCIe) to XBMC via Raspberry Pi. I ran tests and figured based on speed tests that it should stay at a constant stream at around 1.5-2Mb/s

I'm using this url (xxx replace real dyndns name) and it will work fine.

http://xxx.dyndns.org:8888/play?channel=...lution=720

However, At times VLC bumps my CPU usage up to 100% causing stuttering. I should note that direct streaming works, but at up to 20Mb/s is too much for uploading, It's a Quad-Core AMD Phenom II x4 with 16GB RAM and an ATI Radeo HD 5770. I saw that the Raspberry Pi can do encoding at 1080p @ 30fps. So my question is would it be possible to somehow use the Raspberry Pi to do the video encoding to offload this from my PC which can't quite handle the task.

My thought was to use a direct stream to the Raspberry Pi to recode it and then use that. The only issue I have is how it could be implemented, and how would I go about doing that. Since it seems like the project has been frozen, it would be really nice if this could be ported to allow the Pi to run the tv::server which then could use the Pi's GPU to encode.
(This post was last modified: 2014-10-09 04:24 by PowerLion1.)
find quote
timmyjl12 Offline
(2014-10-09 04:14)PowerLion1 Wrote:  So, I'm moving to Japan in the spring and plan on streaming from my Ceton InfiniTV 4 (PCIe) to XBMC via Raspberry Pi. I ran tests and figured based on speed tests that it should stay at a constant stream at around 1.5-2Mb/s

However, At times VLC bumps my CPU usage up to 100% causing stuttering. I should note that direct streaming works, but at up to 20Mb/s is too much for uploading, It's a Quad-Core AMD Phenom II x4 with 16GB RAM and an ATI Radeo HD 5770. I saw that the Raspberry Pi can do encoding at 1080p @ 30fps. So my question is would it be possible to somehow use the Raspberry Pi to do the video encoding to offload this from my PC which can't quite handle the task.

My thought was to use a direct stream to the Raspberry Pi to recode it and then use that. The only issue I have is how it could be implemented, and how would I go about doing that. Since it seems like the project has been frozen, it would be really nice if this could be ported to allow the Pi to run the tv::server which then could use the Pi's GPU to encode.

The issue is that you will have your raspberry pi in japan. The direct stream will require 20mbps to that device. Thats a lot of bandwidth. So better off getting xbmc working on it and using the interface there to setup a 480 or 720 stream. Also, I'd look into using a vpn. They are very easy to setup and you can even run ddwrt in a virtualbox. That way all your addresses are local and your stream is atleast behind a vpn. Have you looked at picking up an android tv box? The new amlogic chip works good for streaming and they are around 100 bucks.

But as another note, you might want to upgrade your cpu, that processor might have a tough time with transcoding. For your needs, a new i3 will have great single core performance for transcoding in vlc and is not too expensive. I know I tried to do a 480 stream to my phone (note 3) on a Q6600 quad core and that was its limit.
find quote
PowerLion1 Offline
Thanks for replying timmyjl12.

I planned on using 2 Raspberry Pis. The first one would be located in the US to transcode the video down to a smaller bitrate and the second one in Japan would be the receiver of the retranscoded video.
CetonTV (US) => Raspberry Pi (US - Retranscoding) => Raspberry Pi (XBMC Japan)

I also have an Android STB - Armada M8 which I planned on using for some light gaming along with a GameStop Red Samurai v2 Bluetooth Gamepad.

I just thought that if the tv::server program could be ported to the Raspberry Pi, I could use the Pi to transcode the video rather that buying a new motherboard and CPU. When I use direct stream it uses only on average 13% CPU when streaming in VLC. Otherwise it uses anywhere from 40% - 91% CPU on VLC and with other system services running it maxes out.
find quote
dbqbbq Offline
(2014-10-09 04:14)PowerLion1 Wrote:  So, I'm moving to Japan in the spring and plan on streaming from my Ceton InfiniTV 4 (PCIe) to XBMC via Raspberry Pi. I ran tests and figured based on speed tests that it should stay at a constant stream at around 1.5-2Mb/s

I would really doubt that a Raspberry Pi would be a more reliable encoder than a dedicated computer with graphics card. I could of course be wrong about this but the computation power of the desktop PC far exceeds that of a Pi. The original author of the code seems to be busy and hasn't really been active in almost a year so I wouldn't count on getting the code ported to Pi. Compared to other video encoding software it seems that the encoding in tv::server isn't optimized to minimize CPU loads (even on my i5-2500K I get surprisingly large CPU loads when encoding 720p but still under 50% if I recall). Your best option staying with tv::server is probably either going with a lower resolution/bitrate or getting a better computer. If you wanted to branch out from tv::server you could also look at MediaBrowser which has a plugin for interacting with WMC (thread at http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=205). The streaming there seems to be better optimized for keeping CPU loads low but it's arguably less convenient for remote streaming (you can stream remotely via a browser but not via the provided XBMC plugin). The development is much more active on that software so there might be better hope for future features.
find quote
devo1929 Offline
Any plans to continue development on this? Or, willing to open source the server to allow others to continue development?

This truly is an awesome tool. I really appreciate the work you've done.
find quote