Help / Advise regarding HTPC Video Issue
I am troubleshooting an issue with my HTPC setup, and wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar issue or any recommendations.

Everything is working fine with my setup and XBMC, but for one issue. I have an HDMI cable from my video card to my stereo receiver and then to my TV.

The problem is that when I switch the receiver to another HDMI signal from another source for a long period of time, the HTPC HDMI signal doesn't come back. The HTPC is still operational...I can see it on the network and get to the files, but the HDMI signal never comes to the receiver, and I have to reboot the HTPC and it then works fine.

Has anyone encountered this issue? Is it my video card or the stereo receiver?

Seems to be related to the HTPC going into some default power save mode and the HDMI signal does awaken it again.

Any thoughts?

OS - Win7 64 bit
Case - HTPC CASE SILVERSTONE|LC20-B BK RT
CPU: CPU AMD|ATH II X2 250 3.0G AM3 RT
Motherboard: MB GIGABYTE | GA-78LMT-S2P R
Memory: MEM 2Gx2|GSKILL F3-10666CL7D-4GBRH
Hard Drive: Corsair Nova Series 32 GB Supported Solid State Drive CSSD-V32GB2-BRKT
Video Card - VGA ASUS|ENGT520 SILENT/DI/1GD3(LP)
Stereo Receiver - Yamaha RX-V663
That's my problem with windows power saving mode, not that it's microsoft's fault, but because it has to support a ton of different hardware manufacturers. There's always something that never wakes back up. Try turning turning off all the power saving modes and let your computer run. See if it still causes a problem after an extended period of time.
Yes. That was my thoughts as well, so I did turn off all the power saving modes I could from the OS level. I also checked the BIOS to see if there was any thing either, but it still seems to never wake up until I reboot.
It's the receiver. I've read of this behaviour before, but honestly, I forget the solution.. All i can suggest is to mess with HDMI settings on your receiver.

FYI i have a receiver model - the Canadian variant of the RX_V667. My HDMI settings are:

HDMI Control is OFF
Audio Return if OFF
Standby Though is ON

I've never had this issue, myself. Also may want to check for HDCP or HDMI handshake problems. Have you tried a different video driver?

A P.I.T.A. solution woudl be to have another display connected to your video card, and switching displays (using shortcuts or hotkeys) whenever you wish to change inputs. It's a lame solution, but it woudl work...
Repeater07 Wrote:Yes. That was my thoughts as well, so I did turn off all the power saving modes I could from the OS level. I also checked the BIOS to see if there was any thing either, but it still seems to never wake up until I reboot.
It's EDID...you can check out this thread- HDMI Handshake problems.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help / Advise regarding HTPC Video Issue0