Share NAS wirelessly through MacBook Pro?
Hi, I have recently moved into a new apartment and I am using the house owners internet. He lives in the apartment above me. He has a D-Link DIR-655 wireless router. And on my floor I have a MacBook Pro connected to a Synology NAS DS409+ via ethernet.

Is there any way to get my wireless and ethernet within the same IP-range? Bridge the Wi-Fi and ethernet in the MacBook or something? I want to share my NAS wirelessly with other devices I have (iPhone and iMac). I have included a schematic drawing of the situation, so that it may be easier to understand. Any help would be deeply appreciated. PS: The D-LINK DIR-655, doesn't support WDS, so that is not an option.

House owners router: 192.168.0.1
My MacBook Pro Wireless connection: 192.168.0.200
My MacBook Pro Ethernet connection: 10.0.0.1
My Synology NAS Ethernet connection: 10.0.0.10

Hmm. I'd try buying a router and setting up a wireless bridge. Connect everything to the new router and everything should be on the same subnet. Look into routers capable of running DD-WRT and/or Tomato.

At my parents place in NYC, I have 2x Linksys WRT54G's. One is running Tomato and the other is running DDWRT. The one that has tomato is connected to the DSL modem. The other router is on the other side of the house, connected as a wireless bridge to the first router. I opted for this setup because our house is old so wireless signals are very flaky (plus we get a lot of interference). The second router was a very cheap way of extending our current wireless range.
Thanks for your quick reply. Do I have to set up anything in my house owners router... or can I just connect my own to his? I just want to extend the range and give myself a couple ethernet ports. And let the house owners router deal with the DHCP.
Nope, you won't need to touch his settings, IIRC. With DDWRT, I get 5 usable ethernet ports (4 plus the WAN port) so I was pretty satisfied. Everything on the network was able to see each other, so it worked well.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Share NAS wirelessly through MacBook Pro?0