Win movie and actor thumbs only load properly when first adding movie?
I'm running Eden on Windows 7 x64, with my movies hosted via SMB on a NAS, and xbmc pointing to a mysql server, and otherwise each machine is running with a default xbmc install (configured sources to point to mysql and added a couple extra skins to play around), so each is using their local thumbnail cache. All of my movies are organized into their own folder with fanart.jpg, folder.jpg, movie.nfo, etc using Ember (so that I only have to fix the info for any of my movies at most once).

The problem I'm having (and I've dorked around with this for a while to nail down repro steps), is that while the movies and fanart always load properly on each machine, the movie poster/thumb and actor images don't always reload properly.

My directory structure is as follows (yes I know not all the files are necessary, but I've tried all sorts of combinations to get it to work):
192.168.1.70/Movies/<moviename>/
<moviename>.m4v
fanart.jpg
folder.jpg
movie.jpg
movie.nfo
movie.tbn
poster.jpg
poster.tbn
<moviename>.jpg
<moviename>.nfo
<moviename>.tbn
<moviename>-fanart.jpg
/extrathumbs
/.actors

Specifically, I've done the following steps:
1. Add movies via machine A. Wait until it's done loading them all into the database. Play around with xbmc there and see all movies and images (fanart, movie thumbs, actor thumbs) work and appear properly.
2. Copy advancedsettings.xml and sources.xml to machine B (to make it point at the mysql server for movie info). Start xbmc there and look around - all movies and fanart is loaded properly, but it is not picking up the existing movie thumbs or actor thumbs. Instead it is internally starting the movie and scanning to some seemingly random position and taking a still frame and using that as the movie thumbnail (the debug log refers to "CThumbExtractor:Big GrinoWork" which seems to kick off this process)
3. If I manually go to each movie's "Movie Information" and refresh, it will pick up the proper thumbnail, but this is not particularly feasible for the number of movies and how long it takes to do a single refresh...

In an attempt to figure this out, I deleted the thumbnails directory on machine A to see if it would recreate the proper thumbs and it was just some config problem on machine B, but then machine A has the same problem - it loads movies and fanart fine, but it refuses to load the proper thumbnails.

I eventually tried removing and re-add the movie source to get it to fully work again (which of course then messes with the db and affects machine B). This seems like a bug - I shouldn't have to remove/readd a source or manually refresh each individual movie to get the right thumbs to display - whatever it's doing to load initial fanart works - shouldn't thumbs work the same way?

Now, "sharing" my thumbnails folder via the way mentioned on the wiki is an option that should work, but the wiki has a big warning that this is not recommended due to performance issues. Am I missing something here? Is there another way around this until this bug is fixed? Is there a way to 'refresh' everything at once instead of having to go through each individual movie one by one

Other notes:
- I've tried using different skins (Confluence, Back Row, Transparency) to see if this was a problem specific to one skin - it behaved the same way regardless of which skin I was using
- I've tried removing various files as some other threads suggested (one suggested removing movie.tbn so folder.jpg would work - no effect)
- With everything above in the movie folder, the only thumbnail file the debug log referred to loading was <moviename>.tbn
- Yes, I do have 'Movies are in separate folders that match the movie title' checked
So my solution so far is to just map the thumbnails for all my installs to my NAS as well - doesn't seem to impact performance *that* much so far.

I'm having the exact same problem with posters not downloading as krease. Does anyone know the solution to this?
@mombo76 - See second post - just map the thumbnails folder to your NAS (or other central location) as well. Looking around, it seems some others have solved this by only allowing one install to add videos, and setting up a script to manually copy thumbnails from that location to the others.

(this issue is specific to using the same db for multiple installs - seems that it would be a low priority bug because if we're skilled enough to setup a central db, we're skilled enough to workaround this issue. I haven't yet been able to figure out how to officially submit a bug though...)
From the discussion on http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1102630
- it looks like this may be addressed in a newer build. I'll likely wait until the next official release to try it out though...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
movie and actor thumbs only load properly when first adding movie?0