Configuring custom input devices with custom keymaps
Hi guys,

Some background - My current setup:
* Ubuntu 64 - 10.04.3 (Lucid) LTS - kernel 3.0.0-14-generic (I'll upgrade to the next stable LTS, once it's released)
* USB MCE remote (remote branded as TSHA-IR01) - registers as "TopSeed Technology Corp" - works well
* USB Wireless Multimedia keyboard (keyboard registers as DigiTech XC-4943) - registers as "Holtek Semiconductor" - works well, but the keyboard physically lacks the "menu" key you'd find on a "regular" PC keyboard
* Sony Bravia TV getting AV over HDMI - remote control branded RM-GA011
* XBMC Eden 11.0, running Aeon Nox (yes, I've built this box with resources to spare)

My current setup is as skinny as I could set it up (might rebuild even skinnier after next LTS release), so I have *NO* desktop-manager loading, and only X with XBMC loading via an ~/.xinitrc config script.

Everything works *EXTREMELY* well, so I know my setup's pretty good Smile

################

Now for the fun stuff...

I've made the decision to upgrade my kernel to the most current ("stable") v.3.x kernel. In hindsight I probably shouldn't have done this, but I did & I've dealt with the repercussions, so not everything works well again - and in some cases even better than before.
On the balance I'm better-off for the move.

The rub is that, under kernel 3.x, there is no longer LIRC as we know & love/loathe it - it's been taken up into the kernel, for better or worse.
This has been dealt with better elsewhere than I can convey myself: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=101151

I've managed to get the new remote loaded via ir-keytable well, and even managed to get some of the media buttons on the TV's remote to be picked up by the MCE IR-receiver.
SWEET!

############

Now for the rub....

I've read numerous guides, tried a bunch of stuff, tried a bunch of other stuff, but I just can't get my setup exactly the way I want it.

The systems/files at play:
* /etc/rc_keymaps/xbmc which is a slightly customized copy of /etc/rc_keymaps/rc6_mce (so that I don't irrevocably muck up the original). I successfully test these mods & can see the events raised via `ir-keytable -t`
* /etc/init.d/xbmc-ir-keytable.conf (& associated rc's) to automatically load the config at boot via script: `/usr/local/bin/ir-keytable -c -p RC-6,SONY -w /etc/rc_keymaps/xbmc`
* ~/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps/custom.xml containing, what I hope to be, the events raised as indicated by ir-keytable, mapped to events for the XBMC.

Also, since the nifty little multimedia keyboard I've got lacks the "menu"/Application key present on some keyboard,I'd like to remap the Caps Lock to the Context Menu.

I'm purposely omitting the contents of my current config files, since I need to assume that I've misconfugured something somewhere, and I don't want to needlessly complicate the discussion with the mistakes I've probably already made.

############

OK, so now what?.....
(for the sake of the discussion/portability, I'll substitute $VALUES where possible)

Basically, as I understand it, the 2 config files that I could/should modify to get the setup the way I'd like it are "/etc/rc_keymaps/xbmc" (or "keymaps/xbmc" for short) for sending the events & "~/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps/custom.xml" (or "keymaps/custom.xml" for short) for executing/picking up the events.

The format of keymaps/xbmc:
Code:
0x$SCANCODE $KEYNAME

Format of keymaps/custom.xml:
Code:
<keymap>
    <global>
        <remote>
            <key id="$SCANCODE">$XBMC_EVENT</key>
            <$KEYNAME>$XBMC_EVENT</$KEYNAME>
        </remote>
        <keyboard>
            <key id="$KEYCODE">$XBMC_EVENT</key>
        </keyboard>
    </global>
</keymap>

What I need to know is:
* Are my assumptions/understanding correct? From what I've read, it should be; but I've been know to be *way* off the mark before.
* If I am wrong, where, how & why?
* Is there a better way of doing things?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Thanks to a kind individual in the IRC channel, they pointed me to the following post that goes some way towards addressing some of what's detailed above: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=114124&page=2

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Configuring custom input devices with custom keymaps0