How To: Setup a Harmony One Remote Control to show Recently Added Episodes/ Pandora/
How To: Setup a Harmony One Remote Control to Display Custom XBMC Buttons such as:
  • Recently Added Episodes
  • Recently Added Movies
  • Pandora (script)
  • 8 track (audio plugin)
  • Custom Playlists.

Imagine those buttons on the Harmony One - for example instead of Projector Input, it says "Recent TV".

Imagine your wife/ girlfriend/ boyfriend, simply being able to click one button to launch those most used place - Recently Added Episodes and Pandora.

My girlfriend LOVES this - so will yours.

Like what you see and hear? Here's how you go about getting the magic:

Using Windows 7 x64, Intelliremote ($24 - more on why this is worth it later), Harmony One Remote control's Logitech software, wget.

Tested on Windows 7 x64. Should run on all windows though.

GET WGET:

You'll need to download and install wget - here's where I grabbed mine. Make sure you just grab the .exe, and not the sources as you won't need them.

Install to: "C:\Program Files\GnuWin32"

PREP THE .CMD FILES THAT ACTUALLY DO THE WORK:

Download these .cmd files that I've created. They might flag as viruses because they are executable, but you'll see that they're very innocuous.

You might ask - why do I have shortcuts to the .cmd files in there? Because in Windows, cmd files will popup abruptly. You can run them silently with windows shell scripting - but Intelliremote will only run .lnk files (shortcut files), .cmd, bat, or .exe files. So, those shortcuts are set to run "Minimized", after right-click and going to properties.

What is in those cmd files? Where's the magic? Let me break it down for you.

"C:\Program Files\GnuWin32\bin\wget.exe" --delete-after http://192.168.0.10:8080/xbmcCmds/xbmcHt...episodes))"

• Wget.exe browses to the IP of your XBMC on your local network.
    --delete-after . Normally, wget creates files to store whatever http file it's getting - but with the -delete-after, it just deletes it immmediately after.

• http://192.168.0.10:8080 - this is the IP, and port of your XBMC computer. You need to make sure the XBMC Web server is turned on!!!! (System/ Network settings, I believe).

To test this is setup correctly, simply open up your browser and click on the following link:
    http://192.168.0.10:8080/xbmcCmds/xbmcHt...episodes))

After clicking Enter, you should see the Recently Added Episodes window pop up on XBMC, and the web page should show "OK" on it.

• A little about the different media you'll be opening. There are different ways besides these subroutines of ExecBuiltIn, but these are the ones that worked for me:

Recently Added Windows and Recently Added Movies
    ExecBuiltIn(ActivateWindow(MyVideoLibrary,recentlyaddedepisodes))

Pandora (script)
    ExecBuiltIn(RunScript(script.xbmc.pandora)
    Script.xbmc.pandora to be replaced by whatever script ID you might want to run. You can find these in Windows 7 in this location: C:\Users\[yourUSERname]\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\addons .

8 track (audio plugin):
    ExecBuiltIn(ActivateWindow(musicfiles,plugin://plugin.audio.8tracks,return)

Custom Playlist for your girlfriend:
    ExecBuiltIn(PlayMedia(C:\Users\buddy\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\playlists\video\Heathers_Channel.xsp)

SET UP THE HARMONY ONE:

Assuming you've already added your Receiver, TV, and computer (I'm using an Asrock with a stock crappy MCE remote), you'll want to add in another device which you will never buy.

For example, I chose 3D Optics vpl-aw15. So, try different devices...the main thing, you need it to have 5 or 6 different buttons available as you'll be using those keycodes. This is because you'll be using those keycodes on the Harmony - and teaching Intelliremote to listen for them.

In the Logitech software:
On Devices Tab, select Add Device....

Click on the Activity Tab, select your XBMC activity:

Select Review your settings for this activity, Next, then "Yes, but I want to add more control of options and devices for this Activity." Next.

Choose your 3d optics device below and click Add. Save.

You'll probably be asked to confirm the input settings on your TV and receiver.

Then what input setting for your made up device - select none. And Save.

And Yes these settings are correct. Next, and then Done. And Done again.

Now click on customize Buttons for your XBMC activity and go to the Additional Buttons tab. Set up as shown/ desired - the only important thing is that you chose the remote buttons from the made up device that doesn't match anything you have or are likely to ever have.

Click done/ next/ save as necessary, and then click Update Remote in the upper right. Let the remote update.

Take the remote and go into the living room, with Intelliremote open.

CONFIGURE INTELLIREMOTE:

This is very important - Intelliremote has no save function visible.

You must click on learning code, change the behavior, and then click Apply Button for every single button. Then, when finished, you must right-click on the icon on the lower right of your computer and choose "Exit" - or Intelliremote will NOT save.

Why not use Eventghost? You can use Eventghost if you want, but Eventghost is problematic on Windows 7 x64, so I've switched to Intelliremote. Best $24 I've ever spent after banging my head against the Eventghost Windows 7 issue for days.

In my files that I linked to above is my Intelliremote xml file - you can move it into your AppData/Intelliremote folder if you want to see this specifically, but since you really have to setup yours individually, there's really no point.

Instead - get on the XBMC profile in Intelliremote (you have to scroll down on the left to find it).

Once the XBMC profile is loaded (you'll the XBMC icon in the middle of the page once it is), choose some buttons you aren't using - as you can see in the screenshot below, I selected some Xi-Fi button or another.

Click on the Learn Code button, and press the Pandora button you programmed into your Harmony One.

The popup will say "Key learned" in bright red, and then disappear.

Next select the Application event, and browse to the shortcut to the Pandora cmd file.

Click Apply. Do NOT FORGET!!!!

Do the other buttons, clicking apply each time. When done, close Intelliremote and then right-click on the button on your lower right down by the clock, and select "Exit"

Do NOT Forget, or you'll be doing it again.

And that will be that

You now have custom buttons to launch Recently Added Windows, scripts, music - whatever your heart desires on your Harmony One remote.

And you can always add more pages to the custom buttons of the Harmony one!!!!!

Support for Intelliremote here.
Support for Harmony One here - although you can of course email/ call them.
Great!

You can also add a few lines to your keyboard.xml, and then accessing recently added and smart playlist with one button push on your harmony.

An example:

Add this in keyboard.xml

<f1>ActivateWindow(videolibrary,tvshowtitles)</f1>
<f2>ActivateWindow(videolibrary,movietitles)</f2>
<f3>ActivateWindow(videolibrary,RecentlyAddedEpisodes)</f3>
<f4>ActivateWindow(videolibrary,RecentlyAddedMovies)</f4>
<f5>ActivateWindow(myvideolibrary, special://videoplaylists/yourplaylist.xsp)</f5>

..and then assign f1-f5 to buttons of your choice in the harmony software.
dnalleh Wrote:Great!

You can also add a few lines to your keyboard.xml, and then accessing recently added and smart playlist with one button push on your harmony.

An example:

Add this in keyboard.xml

<f1>ActivateWindow(videolibrary,tvshowtitles)</f1>
<f2>ActivateWindow(videolibrary,movietitles)</f2>
<f3>ActivateWindow(videolibrary,RecentlyAddedEpisodes)</f3>
<f4>ActivateWindow(videolibrary,RecentlyAddedMovies)</f4>
<f5>ActivateWindow(myvideolibrary, special://videoplaylists/yourplaylist.xsp)</f5>

..and then assign f1-f5 to buttons of your choice on your harmony.

Was about to say this. That's the method I use and doesn't require any external software!
I edited the keyboard.xml file as well but I had a crappy Ortek VRC-1100 remote that's probably not as nice to configure as yours with the harmony one. Not trying to threadjack but this seems kind of relevant and if anyone else tries to configure this remote with harmony it might be helpful; it would have been for me! If you look at the remote the button colors make more sense

Guide: Button Color: Remote Button (my target)
- command

Quote: <!--UNDER BLUE: Guide (subtitles)-->
<g mod="ctrl">showsubtitles</g>
<!-- YELLOW BUTTON: MyTV (tv) -->
<t mod="ctrl,shift">ActivateWindow(Videos,TVShowTitles)</t>
<!-- UNDER YELLOW: Record TV (info) -->
<o mod="ctrl">contextmenu</o>
<!-- BLUE BUTTON: Music (music) -->
<m mod="ctrl">ActivateWindow(Music)</m>
<!-- GREEN BUTTON: Pictures (pictures) -->
<i mod="ctrl">ActivateWindow(Pictures)</i>
<!--RED BUTTON: Videos (movies)-->
<e mod="ctrl">ActivateWindow(Videos,MovieTitles)</e>
<!--UNDER RED -->
<m mod="ctrl,shift">delete</m>
<!-- UNDER GREEN: Live TV (home)-->
Good tips on mapping to the keyboard.xml, and avoiding extra software.

But in my case the software is unavoidable - the Harmony One is for my girlfriend.

Across the living room, I'm using the voice-controlled Amulet remote control, so have to have some sort of interface (either EventGhost or Intelliremote) running on the computer.

I'm also running the official XBMC remote control for the Android system on my Galaxy SII cell phone, which lacks the capability to reproduce keystrokes to launch Recently Added Episodes, etc. But I can run the Droid Remote Launcher to launch the .cmd files - all with clearly listed buttons so I don't have to memorize what F1 stands for etc.

And this method of using .cmd files is infinitely extendable. While there are only 13 function keys on a keyboard.
After thinking about this more and doing more research, I realized that I didn't have to use Intelliremote for the Harmony One remotes basic operations....like scrolling up and down.

Instead, I could use the Media Center PC keyboard device for all the basic Harmony One mappings, use the Function keymapping idea for up to 13 different scripts like you mentioned...and use the .cmd idea for any additional scripts I might want to use.

And Intelliremote could handle the Amulet remote control which we mainly use to search for esoteric movies in my 1,000+ movie collection.

So yep - I like your way better - Thank you!
I had mapped to F8 and F9 in the my keymap.xml....then wondered why my custom playlist would launch when the volume up button was pushed.

F9 and F10 are reserved for volume keys in systems with MCE remotes.
Now, running this in Eden.

RecentlyAddedAlbums and RecentlyPlayed Albums now running:

I tried initially getting it running with the new JSON API, but ActivateWindow is not available yet. Instead, there were some vague suggestions on the JSON thread to Get the RecentlyAddedAlbums, and then programmatically add it a playlist.

Nope.

So, here's a working version with Eden stable:

"C:\Program Files\GnuWin32\bin\wget.exe" --delete-after http://192.168.0.10:8080/xbmcCmds/xbmcHt...edAlbums))"

"C:\Program Files\GnuWin32\bin\wget.exe" --delete-after http://192.168.0.10:8080/xbmcCmds/xbmcHt...edAlbums))"

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How To: Setup a Harmony One Remote Control to show Recently Added Episodes/ Pandora/0