uneven judder only on 29.97 fps HD files
I have 2 jailbroken AppleTV2's and both of them have a slightly annoying issue.

I record a LOT of programming from a MythTV Box that I transcode using handbrake before putting the files on my fileserver (h264 video, ac3 audio). For motion-picture style content (shot at 24fps) that I've inverse telecined back to 23.976 fps; this content plays perfectly on both AppleTVs. However, anything that I've recorded from video-based sources (shot at 60i) that I've had to deinterlace down to 29.97fps exhibits an uneven judder. This is not the same as the regular loss of temporal-resolution (60Hz > 30Hz) that is quite normal when using any field-combination deinterlacer, but rather an additional uneven judder that is quite noticable. It occurs every 12-15 seconds or so.

(I can't wait until Handbrake implements a proper field-extention 60Hz deinterlacer. Note to Handbrake devs: ATSC/NTSC video is not 29.97 frames/sec, it is a mistake to even think in terms of frames. It is 59.94 FIELDS per second; the two fields of each frame are often stored together in digital media for simplicity but they have no-relation to each other. Treating them overwise by using any kind of clever blending/interpolation is completely wrong and destroys the temporal resolution/smoothness of ATSC/NTSC video. Fields need to be treated as completely independant snapshots in time (60Hz); which they are. But I digress.)

Both AppleTV's are connected via Cat6 to a Gigabit Ethernet router to my file server; Ubuntu Linux 64-bit using NFS protocol.

No matter what I do, I cannot get 29.97fps programming to run at an even framerate; the judder is always there. I've tried the various suggestions here such as turning on 16-bit audio, fiddling with almost every combination of syncing framerate to video, audio (resample), audio (drop/dupe), nothing works.

I transcode everything to 720p (1280x720) resolution files in mp4 containers. As I mentioned earlier, I have NO problems with film-sourced material at 23.976 fps, this just happens on deinterlaced 29.97fps sources.

One of the AppleTVs is running on 4.1.1 and the other on 4.3. One of the AppleTV's is running XBMC nightly from Sept 16th (the 4.3 one) and the other is Pre-Eden Beta 1. Is there something else I'm doing wrong?
Did you ever figure this out? I'm noticing the same issue as you. I'm using an ATV2 with Eden 11.0.

All film content is fine, but anything at 29.97 randomly judders.
I've noticed the same behavior on my AppleTV. Turning on debugging reveals that the screen output hovers around 27-28fps, hence the noticeable judder. I found that changing the view mode to original alleviates the issue, but it isn't really a solution as the resulting picture can be quite small. So the problem appears to be a result of the power required for post-processing and/or upscaling. This limitation is not present on iPad 2 or 3, so I assume that the ATV2 just doesn't have the muster.
play with the audio sync options...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I get the same thing on any movie, tried audio sync options and it only made it worse (more frequent). Figured what wisdomwolf said, hardware not up to the job.

Super keen if anyone can find a way to eliminate it.
guess noone has any idea about this one?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
uneven judder only on 29.97 fps HD files0