XBMC support from content providers
Hi everyone. I am new to XBMC, and I am only a user, not a programmer. But so far I have to say that XBMC is **pretty sweet**. I really like the Pandora and Hulu interfaces. Nice work.

But I have a philosophical question about XBMC and the interface to content providers. I am not a programmer, so I can't create my own add on to interface to content providers that I like. Specifically, I would like to access content from http://www.prx.org, but I don't see a add on for that. However, I could ask PRX to fund/develop/commission an ad-on for that would allow me to reach their content.

But is that the right thing to do? I don't know if it is in keeping with the open source vibe that I get from the XBMC community. To say it another way, I don't know if it would be bad for XBMC to have The Man writing add-ons.

(And I know that PRX is hardly The Man. But if they make their own XBMC add on, then I suppose NBC or Fox might make their own too.)

What do you guys think?
"The Man" can write as many plugins as they want. Everything is welcome, particularly if they're open source. Indeed, the only way they're acceptable in the default repository is if they're open source.

In addition, even if "The Man" wants us, or someone from the community to write their (open source) plugin for them, I'm sure someone will be available, should "the man" be prepared to work with that person. Indeed, they may well be prepared to offer their services completely free of charge.

3rd party repositories could be used to distribute non-open addons, but given the nature of plugins and scripts, the developer would want to think twice about having it closed, as they're just making it harder for themselves.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC support from content providers0