HTPC water cooling...is it worth it?
as the title says is water cooling an htpc worth it or just overkill?
Well.... I saw a dramatic temperature drop when I added the CorsairH60 to my i3 2100 rig, check my sig for pics!! After initial build with Intel heat-sink, temps idled around 55-60c. After install of H60, I now idle in the low 20's. Although I spent an extra $59 on my rig for the H20 cooler option, I was told that I could have achieved the same results with a cheaper $10 heat-sink. I also had "fan-less HTPC" as a goal upon starting my build so I invested the extra cheddar....

Will you need that option, prolly not with a typical HTPC set-up for strictly XBMC use. If you're a gamer or put lot's more stress on your rig than just XBMC, then maybe, depending on the processor you decide on! But if you just want one, go for it if you can spare the extra money. Remember, it's your HTPC!!Wink
Not worth it!

Silent PSU + Shuriken at 1000rpm holds the system cool and is really silent.
No.
For a HTPC? IMO, no.
for a Gaming HTPC, i say yes Tongue
Watercooling is only needed if you're overclocking. If you're wondering if it will reduce noise, the vibration of the pump will make more noise than a set of decent quiet fans.
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.
Meeh, a good air cooler is sufficient even if you have overclocked your cpu significantly.

For a htpc, I'd just use the stock cooler...its quiet enough. For me the worry with water cooling is more about leaks...
Bonzi Wrote:Meeh, a good air cooler is sufficient even if you have overclocked your cpu significantly.
True. Maybe 'needed' was too strong a word...
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.
signallancer Wrote:as the title says is water cooling an htpc worth it or just overkill?

It's not necessarily overkill but it's counter-intuitive. Liquid cooling still requires fans to cool the liquid going through the radiator so you won't be gaining any noise level performance. While liquid has much greater heat transfer characteristics, the included parts require much more maintenance and have a higher failure rate. A lot of HTPCs are on much longer than your average PC. Even some of the best pumps around aren't rated for sustained longevity in terms of mean time between failure. The system also needs to be flushed at least once a year, cleaned and refilled with liquid treated with solutions to prevent algae and corrosion.

I say all this because I have multiple HTPCs running on air and my main system is a completely custom TJ07 running on liquid. I have extensive experience with both types of setups. I only fire-up my main system for gaming or heavy processing. (liquid cooled)
Media server: unRaid 5.0.5 | CPU: Intel-Core i3-4360 | MB: Supermicro X10SL7-F | RAM: 16 GB Crucial ECC | CASE: PC-A77F | HD Cages: iStarUSA BPU-350SATA | PSU: Seasonic Platinum SS-660XP2 Active PFC F3 | HDD: WD Red | 25 TB array -WD Red 4TB Parity | 500GB WD Black Cache| Build Details
TeKo Wrote:Not worth it!

Silent PSU + Shuriken at 1000rpm holds the system cool and is really silent.

Which silent PSU do you recommend? picoPSU?
prongATO Wrote:The system also needs to be flushed at least once a year, cleaned and refilled with liquid treated with solutions to prevent algae and corrosion.

WOW....definately was not aware of this.. will have to research!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC water cooling...is it worth it?0