Library mode says media file (over FTP) no longer available even though it is
Hi,

So I've added some my some FTP sources to my iPad (to be able to access my media on the go) and everything seemed to be peachy. However, now library mode says for any file that is is no longer available and do I want to remove it from the library. However, the file is accessible through file mode. And for one file, after doing that, it was also available again in library mode.

I'm running xbmc b2, on an iPad 2 with iOS 5.0.1,

Here's the debug log of my doing the following:
- starting xbmc,
- trying to start a file through library mode and failing
- then trying the same file through direct file mode.

http://pastebin.com/x0xiTg1G

Remco
Could be a permissions issue (see here) or a bad/corrupt DB file (see here, the one about "SQL errors". This will delete your library and require a re-scan, so might hold out or back up before doing this, incase it isn't the issue).
Smile 
Hey guys,

nah, it's probably no permission issue, since I am experiencing the same thing with my fathers iPad and my Windows SMB share.

I researched and isolated the issue to a path problem. In the logs the paths have %20 substitutions for spaces, e.g. "smb://PC-X/Media/Die%20Hard/Die%20Hard%20(19xx).avi".

Movies with only one word are working fine, all other bail out on us (obviously).

I'm currently researching a fix...if nobody else has one already, I might work on the code directly and post my stuff here.

If one of the XBMC gurus knows the drill, please post before I invest loads of time in this. Cheers!

Best,

Seb

EDIT: Probably all a load of BS...didn't think hard enough before posting...need more xp with xbmc...sorry...
Try with ip instead of netbios name.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Ned Scott Wrote:Could be a permissions issue (see here) or a bad/corrupt DB file (see here, the one about "SQL errors". This will delete your library and require a re-scan, so might hold out or back up before doing this, incase it isn't the issue).

Well, it's a fresh install so I don't mind all that much to just start over. I do have 1 question though, could it be that the video's are marked unavailable in the database, because they didn't show up during a library update? I have been testing a bit and I might have had the ftp sources unavailable during a library scan.

Remco
I've been investigating the issue some more. Imagine my surprise that it worked all of a sudden it worked again.

Then I realised I had disabled "auto update library on startup" so I decided to see what would happen if I tried playing the same file after manually requesting a library update and what do you know, the file wouldn't play afterwards anymore.

So it seems the update library function is screwing up at least FTP-sources.

Here is the debug log of me trying some files (which worked) then doing a library update and then trying to play the same file which then fails:

http://pastebin.com/uDqCnusg

<edit>
Strangely enough, looking at the log, I don't see any attempt at starting a video file after the library update. It must be just before line 1127: 18:06:30 T:91754496 INFO: Loading skin file: DialogYesNo.xml
I think that's the dialog that asks me if I want to remove the item from the library because it's not there anymore...
</edit>

Remco
kno1 Wrote:Well, it's a fresh install so I don't mind all that much to just start over. I do have 1 question though, could it be that the video's are marked unavailable in the database, because they didn't show up during a library update? I have been testing a bit and I might have had the ftp sources unavailable during a library scan.

Remco

Being unavailable should not change the library unless you do a clean as well. I will ask to remove files if you try to play them and it can't find them.
@kno1: Interesting, as it didn't actually need to refresh the folder that the Harry + Kumar file is in. This is the one you tried to start again, right?

If so, it would appear to be some issue with the filecache, as otherwise I think there would have been information in the log about access being attempted.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

jmarshall Wrote:@kno1: Interesting, as it didn't actually need to refresh the folder that the Harry + Kumar file is in. This is the one you tried to start again, right?

If so, it would appear to be some issue with the filecache, as otherwise I think there would have been information in the log about access being attempted.

Yeah, it was the Harold & Kumar file that I tried to play before and after the refresh. And indeed, nothing in the folder had changed. Might be interesting to see what happens if something did change in the folder.

I've tried if I could reproduce in the windows version, but there it's working just fine.

I've left my iPad at home, so I'll have to wait until this afternoon to test again. I'll try removing my userdata folder and starting over. See if that changes anything. If not, I'll also see if I can't reproduce it on one of my appleTV's...

Remco
Ok,

i've been fooling around a little more and I know now how to reproduce it. I can also reproduce it in the windows version, so this is not an iOS specific bug in beta 2, but a bug in xbmc in general. So maybe a moderator can move the thread up to the parent forum.

What you need to do is add multiple sources. I've created an FTP source called HD and set its content to movies. Surprisingly, it contains some movies. Then let xbmc scrape all the info. You can now verify that starting a video through library mode works (I start it from the homescreen by going to movies, then select a movie)

Then I've added a second source, just from the local filesystem and pointed it to a random folder (but the name of the folder (and the source) should start with a letter higher in the alphabet then the ftp source). This source doesn't contain anything, but still set the content type to movies.

After having added this and updating the library, the original video files will no longer be able to play from the library.

Remco
Did you add the second source as a second path to the first source, or is it just another source you've added separately?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

@jmarshall: I added it as a second separate source. Though during testing on the ipad I actually accidently did that too, and I believe that reproduces the issue too.

But in windows I reproduced the issue by adding a second, separate source, and putting an empty folder in that source.

Remco

<edit>
To be clear, the first source/path is ftp, the second one can be anything.
On my ATV's (which never leave the safety of my home network) I'm using SMB to to connect to the same folders. I didn't experience the same issue there, but now that I think about it, I might not have done a library update there with nothing new being found. I had auto-update disabled on them for a couple of days.
</edit>
Have also seen this issue since B2, but easier to reproduce.

Have ATV set up with FTP as the source, play any movie, press menu back to library view, and either try to go back into same file or play any other movie and u hit the issue.

Will run again tonight and post logs. Will also test against my 2nd ATV which is currently set up as webdav...
QNAP TS670 NAS - 4x4TB Raided with NFS Support & Central MySQL DB
Pi 3 [Xbian] - Samsung 46" ES7000 Smart TV & HT-E5550 3D BD Sound System
Pi 3 [Xbian]  + Hyperion Ambilight- Samsung 48" Curved UE48JS9000 4k
PowerEthernet T1502 Powerline adapters
nsviper Wrote:Have also seen this issue since B2, but easier to reproduce.

Have ATV set up with FTP as the source, play any movie, press menu back to library view, and either try to go back into same file or play any other movie and u hit the issue.

Will run again tonight and post logs. Will also test against my 2nd ATV which is currently set up as webdav...

You might also want to try to reproduce it on another platform (win/mac/linux) just to confirm that the same issue is actually in the main branch.

Remco
BTW,

The files are not stored in the library as being unavailable. If you exit xbmc and then start it again, and don't do a library update, the files can be played through library mode.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Library mode says media file (over FTP) no longer available even though it is0