(noob)Building a HTPC
Hey everybody! I decided to build a HTPC with XBMC and am super excited about it. I've been using PS3 media server and the ability to use higher bitrate content was needed. PS3 network interface is only 10/100 and for some great 1080p video with DTS-HD / DD-HD, it just doesn't cut it.

so far my build is as follows:
*note this is just hardware I have laying around*

1) Intel quad core *8 threads* 2600k
2) 8gigs of Geil 1866 dual channel
3) 10TB media server *also 2600k*
4) Blu-ray read / writer
5) simple USB TV tuner
6) 7200RPM WD laptop drive for the HTPC to boot on
7) graphics card = Nvidia GTS450

I had a few simple questions if you guys don't mind helping me out Big Grin

1) linux install or Windows install of XBMC? I'm kinda familiar with Ubuntu and Mint so those installs don't bother me. I just didn't know if one was actually better to use than the other.

2) what are people using for remotes? I love blue tooth remotes *ala PS3 remote* and I would love to keep that style if I can.

3) is there an ability to play / stream blu-ray ISO's that I own. The whole point of my media server is to serve my Blu-Rays over the network and not have to swap disks. If this is possible, then I would say bye bye to my PS3 Nod

4) is there an ability to use Cuda on Nvidia cards for gpu acceleration or is it all CPU based? I can use a bunch of cards and have at least 5 i can use ranging from GTS250 all the way up to GTX570. I wasn't sure if there really was a need for GPU horsepower when using XBMC.

Thank you very very much for the help in any way/shape/form. This will help me setup my rig and on my way to a wonderful relationship with XBMC.
tootnskoot Wrote:PS3 network interface is only 10/100

I hate to sound like a dick, but you're wrong about that. That might be the speed you're getting with your PS3's connection to a switch, which might only be able to handle 10/100. You will only get the max speed your switch or router can handle. The PS3 is 10/100/1000 (aka gigabit) capable. I know this because I look at my switch port for my PS3 on my gigabit switch and my switch shows that the PS3 is connected via gigabit. Those gigabit switches are inexpensive and are a upgrade well worth the price for speed.

Now on topic.

With number one, choose whichever system you feel comfortable with.
With number two, you should be able to use your ps3 remote on your htpc. There is a tutorial somewhere around here for windows.
With number three, they are working on Blu-ray structures and data, but they need to be unencrypted, as Blu-ray has numerous protections. Get AnyDvd. It works.
With number four, I'm not sure on how XBMC uses CUDA, if at all!

Your hardware looks good and should "just work". As for building it, go look on LifeHacker, they have a whole series on there on how to build a pc. The smaller the case, the harder the work to fit everything in!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
(noob)Building a HTPC0