"failed to initialize the audio device"
Bear with me here folks, as I know this has been mentioned more than once on this forum.

Background: I had originally experienced this only after playing a file with an unsupported codec (see this thread here). I had thought that this borked my XBMC installation, so I did a full uninstall and reinstall (the only difference is that this time it was with Eden Beta 2). This time, I noticed that the same problem affected me even after a vanilla install (I know that a regular uninstall of XBMC will leave behind settings, etc.; I wiped everything).

Current issue: I searched around and found a few threads pointing to this solution on the XBMC wiki. I tried to follow it to the best of my abilities (Oo), but I have a feeling I screwed something up.

Steps taken: Here's what I know I did right: I know I set the Audio Output Device correctly (case sensitive "plug:dmixer"), and the passthrough audio device is set to ice958 (alsa) The rest, is fuzzy..

I have no idea how to "Open ~/.asoundrc" as the instructions say, so I followed a different (unrelated to XBMC) guide and created a new file with nano ~/.asoundrc.

Running aplay -l gave me this output:

Quote:kymus@HTPC:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: Generic_1 [HD-Audio Generic], device 0: ALC892 Analog [ALC892 Analog]
card 1: Generic_1 [HD-Audio Generic], device 1: ALC892 Digital [ALC892 Digital]

I have (almost) no idea how to read this, but I guessed that hw:0,1 was correct. I was probably wrong.

I exited and saved the file as asoundrc, rebooted, and..... yep, same issue. Most HD files don't play audio.

I assume I'm close to the solution, but I'm doing something stupid wrong.

FWIW, here's what I'm running:
Ubuntu 11.10 (up to date as of today) (unsure of kernel version)
XBMC Eden (beta 2)
ASUS F1A75-I Deluxe FM1 AMD A75
AMD A8-3850 Llano 2.9GHz Socket FM1 Quad-Core (with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD)
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
Quote:I have (almost) no idea how to read this, but I guessed that hw:0,1 was correct. I was probably wrong.

Your aplay -l output does not have any devices matching hw:0,1 (first digit refers to card and second digit refers too device)

How are you connecting your sound output ? HDMI direct to TV or ?

If you are using HDMI then you would need 0,3 in your .asoundrc. You may also need to change plug:dmixer to plughw:0,3 within xbmc but I'm not certain on this.
Thanks for the input! I will give it a shot, and report back.

now that I've already created an asoundrc file, what is the terminal command I would use to edit it?

edit: I'm using HDMI straight to the TV
Quote:now that I've already created an asoundrc file, what is the terminal command I would use to edit it?

That would be nano ~/.asoundrc (the same way you initially created it Smile
Gah, still nothing.

I changed pcm "hw:0,1" to pcm "hw:0,3" and then tried a movie that I knew doesn't get audio (but should) and got nothing.

I then tried to change plug:dmixer to plughw and tried again with no results.
What do you have in your .asoundrc ?
Here it is:

Quote:pcm.dmixer {
type dmix
ipc_key 1024
slave {
pcm "hw:0,3"
period_time 0
period_size 1024
buffer_size 8192
#periods 128
#rate 44100
rate 48000
}
bindings {
0 0
1 1
}
}
Try this:

Quote:pcm.dmixer {
type dmix
ipc_key 1024
ipc_key_add_uid false
ipc_perm 0660
slave {
pcm "hw:0,3"
rate 48000
channels 2
period_time 0
period_size 1024
buffer_time 0
buffer_size 4096
}
}

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

Also change sound output device within XBMC settings to:

Quote:plughw:0,3

Then restart and see what happens.
Still nothing :-\

I double checked asoundrc as well as XBMC's audio settings after the reboot to ensure they were as they should be. It goes without saying that I also copy and pasted everything exactly as it was written. >_<
Starting to clutch at straws here, your sound channels are not muted in alsamixer by any chance ?

If not then you could also try this setup,

.asoundrc:

Quote:pcm.hdmi_hw {
type hw
card 0 # <----- Put your card number here
device 3 # <----- Put your device number here
}

pcm.hdmi_formatted {
type plug
slave {
pcm hdmi_hw
rate 48000
channels 2
}
}

pcm.hdmi_complete {
type softvol
slave.pcm hdmi_formatted
control.name hdmi_volume
control.card 0
}

pcm.!default hdmi_complete

Sound output in XBMX to:

Quote:hdmi_complete
I am certain that nothing is muted. I have menu sounds and I just watched a movie through Navi-X.

Stupid question, though: how do I determine card and device #'s?
Quote:kymus@HTPC:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 1: Generic_1 [HD-Audio Generic], device 0: ALC892 Analog [ALC892 Analog]
card 1: Generic_1 [HD-Audio Generic], device 1: ALC892 Digital [ALC892 Digital]

Those are the cards and devices.

I'm sorry but this is getting beyond my knowledge really so I have a few questions, maybe someone else can pitch in:

1. Are your ATI graphics drivers up to date ?
2. Where is you .asoundrc located ?
3. Do you have an asound.conf anywhere at all ?
4. You stated that most HD movies have no sound, by this I assume that means some do ? This could be interesting and void the above and everything that has been discussed... Can you provide some logs for ones that work and ones that don't work maybe ?

I'm not sure if all of the above apply with running XBMC over a full blown Ubuntu though.
1) Well, I'm not sure! Ha. I've installed the restricted drivers. There is another option for post-release drivers, and that just doesn't install.

2) /Home/kymus

3) I have no idea; once it gets to system stuff in Linux, I get pretty clueless.

4) So far, I know that some HD TV shows and Anime will work (not all though.. I think the majority do.), but every HD (720p +) movie I've tried (chosen at random) has failed.

As far as I can tell, this problem is the same as the old problem I had (here). I thought previously that it was an unsupported codec that broke XBMC, but now that I think about it, it's possible that previously this problem was present and I just managed to choose the things that played right.. Then again, after I got the error before, I got no audio and switching from ALSA to Pulse Audio fixed it for some things (as described).

Also, for whatever it's worth, I have no idea how to fully purge XBMC (since some settings and such are left behind), so after "breaking" XBMC, I actually did a complete format and reinstall of Ubuntu (>_<).

I posted a debug log for the previous problem (here) which I think largely mirrors this issue. But if needed, I can do it again with the experimental audio options enabled.
OK, really stupid question.. try not to strangle me (or shoot yourself)....

am I doing:

card 0
device 3
card 1
device 0
card 1
device 1

I have the feeling that this is wrong, but like I said, I'm a little stupid once it gets to system stuff in Linux.

Care to spell it out for me?
Your using HDMI so on yours that would be card 0 device 3.

Do you have dolby AC3 capable and also DTS capable receive checked in audio settings ?

I also noticed this in your log:

Quote:10:15:57 T:2691091312 DEBUG: Initialize - using alsa device iec958:AES0=0x6,AES1=0x82,AES2=0x0,AES3=0x2
10:15:57 T:2691091312 ERROR: Initialize - failed to open custom device iec958:AES0=0x6,AES1=0x82,AES2=0x0,AES3=0x2 (error:No such file or directory), retry with default iec958
10:15:57 T:2691091312 ERROR: Initialize - pcm_open_lconf, alsa error: -2 - No such file or directory
10:15:57 T:2691091312 DEBUG: SetActiveDevice - SetActiveDevice from 2 to 1
10:15:57 T:2691091312 DEBUG: RemoveActiveDevice - Removing device 2
10:15:57 T:2691091312 DEBUG: CGUIAudioManager::Initialize
10:15:57 T:3044693760 DEBUG: ------ Window Init (VideoFullScreen.xml) ------
10:15:57 T:3044693760 INFO: Loading skin file: VideoFullScreen.xml
10:15:57 T:2691091312 ERROR: Creating a Null Audio Renderer, Check your audio settings as this should not happen

I'm not sure exactly how this works but it may be best if you could find a video that plays sound, play that, stop it, then play a one that doesn't play sound, stop that and exit xbmc. Then post the log to compare. Make sure debug logging is enabled first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"failed to initialize the audio device"0