Mac Mini 2008 1.83GHz, 1Gb Ram + CrystalHD - XBMC friendly?
And is logic supply the way to go? They used to do an xbmc discount no? Is that still going? The shipping is a bit rich so if I can get a few % off that would be nice....
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
I don't think they have any discount codes anymore. (They were on sale for $30 USD the other week)

However..
http://www.azzx.org/hardware/broadcom-cr...australia/

There's one on that listing that still ships from the US, but only charges $7 for shipping.
Well spotted and thanks! - I have orderd the 70015. Seems worth another $50 to keep the old mini interesting....
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
And just to confirm - the 70015 makes everything very smooth, even with some crazy arse rapid skipping. Much better, worth the difference.

Still not sure if I will use the machine myself, but nice to know it works properly now!
Has anyone tried to use 700015 crystalHD with OSX Lion? If so, any things to keep in mind?
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
I believe davilla, main dev on this side of things, has firmly stated that's a bad idea...
steve1977 Wrote:Has anyone tried to use 700015 crystalHD with OSX Lion? If so, any things to keep in mind?

waste of time on an older mini, you gain nothing but trouble Smile
davilla Wrote:waste of time on an older mini, you gain nothing but trouble Smile

Does it somehow work or just won't work? I upgraded my Mini for airplay, icloud, etc. Would not want to lose these new functionality.
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
steve1977 Wrote:Does it somehow work or just won't work? I upgraded my Mini for airplay, icloud, etc. Would not want to lose these new functionality.

Depends on the MacMini, if you try to install Lion on a 1.6GHz coreduo with 1G of ram, you will become quite frustrated under Lion.
Lion wont run with a coreduo, it needs core2duo. If you´re on a coreduo mac mini, you´d need to upgrade your CPU. You also need to install it from another mac via Target mode disk (or take out the HDD and put it into a newer Mac), then delete the platformsupport.plist file. Somebody on the Plex forums did compile the Crystal HD drivers for Lion and it seems to work properly. A 2006 Mac mini upgraded with 2GB ram will run Lion just fine. Espescially with a SSD. You can also update the firmware (not official, you would need to google it) to support 2x2GB RAM sticks, but you will get 3.3GB because of hardware limitations.

A 2006 Mac mini fully upgraded would consist of a Core2Duo T7600 at 2.33GHz, 2x2GB RAM and an SSD. Lion does fly with this configuration.
My Mini is not the bottle-neck and already runs OSX Lion: 3GB of Ram, SSD drive and a core2duo 1.83ghz. Runs really nice: snappy interface, basically all videos running even with 1080p.

Still have issues running some files, which I believe are mostly 1080i music videos. Am hoping that they will run properly once I add a crystalHD card. But don't want to give up OSX Lion. Dillemma?
davilla Wrote:waste of time on an older mini, you gain nothing but trouble Smile

Did you refer to installing OSX Lion or CrystalHD? As shared above, my Mac Mini is actually quite fast and already runs OSX Lion very well.

Question is whether there are CrystalHD drivers, which are compatible with OSX Lion?

Why are you saying that it is not worth doing? It should help me with the few remaining videos that are not showing properly?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mac Mini 2008 1.83GHz, 1Gb Ram + CrystalHD - XBMC friendly?0