Help with XBMC!
I prefer to use Handbrake. You can grab some good settings on their forums or make your own from the regular defaults. You can save a ton of space and still have great looking video.
OK I ripped one with amy dvd amd put it in my videos folder. xbmc sees it but woon't play it.
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
@patseguin,
I too use Handbrake, and old school DVD Decrypter. You can use DVD Decrypter in ISO mode, and the isos just work, but are big.
Also, look into RAID6 for your storage, or if you have the money Drobo makes a unit with "BeyondRAID" which is really just RAID6. (when I say money, I mean A LOT). A guy I work with has 2 Drobo Pro FSs each with 8-bays, and filed with 3TB drives, He has one mirroring the other, so he would have to lose 4 drives at the same time (2 each) to lose anything. He has 18TB total, and I am jealous. I have a crappy software RAID5 running on Ubuntu. Sad
Using a NUC7PJYHN and a 2820FYKH0 Intel NUC running LibreELEC, and two FireTVs.:)
I'll try DVD Decrypter I guess. I assume that'll run in the background and then XBMC will just play ISO's then?

Oh, and why did you choose Ubuntu over Windows? I almost chose it and every told me to stick with Windows 7.

I tried looking up DVD Decrypter and it appears to be just a DVD Ripper. Ii was looking for some way for XBMC to play ISO's that I have made from my Blu Rays. Nothing have tried yet works.
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
DVD Decrypter is for making ISOs from DVDs. I saw your typo and saw "my DVDs".

I chose Linux for the OS for my NAS, because I run software RAID5 to keep me from being locked into one specific type of RAID card, and Windows 7 simply doesn't have RAID5 and even a Hacked XP or real Server 2003 doesn't have good tools for expanding and rebuilding a software RAID5 array. My HTPCs are all tiny stand alone boxes running OpenELEC and XBMC only, if you are using a real full computer as an HTPC, then go with Win7 and XBMC like you have been.

As for as playing bluray isos with XBMC, I don't. I use DVD Fab to decrypt them and copy them to the hardrive, and then Handbrake to make .mkvs out of them. I would check your isos, are you sure they are correct, they will be over 30GB each, and you'll be able to store just over a hundred bluray isos on your 4TB, but if you re-encoded your blurays to h.264 mkvs you can shrink them to 6GB without any real loss.
Using a NUC7PJYHN and a 2820FYKH0 Intel NUC running LibreELEC, and two FireTVs.:)
patseguin Wrote:I'll try DVD Decrypter I guess. I assume that'll run in the background and then XBMC will just play ISO's then?
If you already installed AnyDVD HD, why do you need another decrypter? There is nothing in the market better than AnyDVD HD in this department. It can decrypt and rips BD into BD folder and ISO with ease, and it is very quick too. Here is how:

How to rip DVD/HD-DVD/Blu-ray with AnyDVD
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I've been using AnyDVD HD to rip my ISO's and XBMC just give me an error when I try to play it. I'll look at your link though. I Might go with MacGyver's recommendation and stick with making mkv's, as long as I get the best digital audio and not stereo like I've gotten so far.

EDIT: I looked at the link at that is in fact how I ripped one of my ISO's and XBMC simply won't play it. I'm beginning to wonder if it's even worth it seeing as how much space they take up.
Once I get this solved, is there a good remote out there that I can use with XBMC or is there a profile for my Harmony One remote?
patseguin Wrote:I've been using AnyDVD HD to rip my ISO's and XBMC just give me an error when I try to play it.
I'm not sure why. I used AnyDVD HD all these years. I playback BD ripped files from AnyDVD HD on almost 10 different media players, and I never have issue with AnyDVD HD files. It's the best decrypter I used. It's more expensive than most decrypter softwares, but Slysoft really stay on top of their game.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I copy the bluray to an ISO and place the ~38GB file in the folder I made for it in My Videos along with a folder.jpg for the art. XBMC sees it just fine but when I click on it nothing happens. I try to click again a few times and it eventually tells me it can't play the file.
Have you tried mounting the ISO using something like VirtualCD and seeing if you can play it with a different player?
I've tried mounting it but not playing it with a different player. I figure if it doesn't play with XBMC then what's the point?
Make sure it works at all.
I ripped 300 to an MKV last night and the video has some corruption like blocks sometimes. I also have subtitles, which I don't know how to get rid of. Lastly, the audio on my receiver says digital but this title has truedhd. How can I be sure to get the best audio and No subtitles?
You really need to take some time to familiarize yourself with your ripping software of choice. Without knowing what software you used to create the rip and settings you used, it's not too easy to know what you might have done wrong. Fill in some of the blanks and you'll get more helpful responses.

If you used Handbrake there are options for how the audio is ripped as well as subtitle options. You can choose whether the subtitles are burned in, separate or ignored. Audio can be mixed down to mono, stereo, Dolby stereo, Dolby Pro Logic or 6 channel Discrete using AAC, MP3 or AC3. If my source has AC3, I generally use AC3 passthru so the rip's audio is exactly the same as the source audio.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help with XBMC!0