Idea: torrent downloader within xbmc
hey all. i'm new to the xbox/xbmc to development scene, but have a pretty descent development background. i thought it'd be cool to implement a torrent downloader feature to xbmc. but before i start wasting my time though, i would like a bit of feedback from the development community.

first of all, is it feasible?
second, could this be accomplished using a python script?

basically i was thinking the script/feature would work as follows;

you could download the torrent file with a pc or with one of the existing torrentbrowsers to a folder on your xbox, and this torrent downloader would simply execute in the background using a very limited amount of resources. this way one could download his or her torrents while watching movies and/or playing music.

please send me some feedback. i know i'm probably like the 1298319282179th person to mention doing this. if not, i'd like to give something back to the xbmc community Smile

cheers
there is already a python script. please search (from the beginning).

ts
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Information 
what's the bet the original poster doesn't reply to this? Wink
a quick search for "bittorrent" in only the two python forums
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
or better.search xboxscripts.com
Quote:or better.search xboxscripts.com
or event better; check [url]www.xbmc[/url]scripts.com
:lol:
i thought what is out there is a torret file d/ler, something that just got the torrent file off the interent, i didn't think that there was a script out there that used to torrent file to d/led the file (if that makes sence). i think thats what he wants to do. but hey i could be wrong too :nuts:
lol i knew this would happen..

ok i thought the existing scripts simply allowed you to *browse* torrents and you still needed a pc to actually *download* them...

i guess i'm wrong
(solexalex @ may 11 2005,17:38 Wrote:
Quote:or better.search xboxscripts.com
or event better; check [url]www.xbmc[/url]scripts.com
:lol:
doh! hehe that was what i tried to write
ahh.. ok i'm not talking about a script that downloads ".torrent" files, this one would actually download the ".torrent" *then* download the actual torrent itself. (ie: no pc necessary)

i know this is my third post but give me some credit, i searched xbmc scripts before i made this topic. and i searched in the forms before that too. how about some actual input now?
for a good python programmer it should not be difficult seeing how the original bit torrent client was written in python as well as the abc client.

the official bittorrent home page
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
it's called bitxbox.py and it does download torrents, you supply the .torrent file. i don't know if it still works or where to find it.
For python coding questions first see http://mirrors.xbmc.org/docs/python-docs/
bitbox.rar

xbox-scene forum thread
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
great idea, i hope this is a possibility.
(crypto @ may 13 2005,04:28 Wrote:ahh.. ok i'm not talking about a script that downloads ".torrent" files, this one would actually download the ".torrent" *then* download the actual torrent itself. (ie: no pc necessary)

i know this is my third post but give me some credit, i searched xbmc scripts before i made this topic. and i searched in the forms before that too. how about some actual input now?
well you didn't do a good job, considering there is already a script that does this.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Idea: torrent downloader within xbmc0