30mm and 50mm quiet fan recommendations?
Hi all,

Recently got myself an Asrock 330HT-BD and happy with it aside from the fan noise. Having read through the various threads regarding the issue I decided to fork out for 30mm Titan Ttc-3007m12s and 50mm Fractal Design Silent fans as well as a zalman fan mate 2 to control the 30mm.

As I did it in stages I found that swapping the 30mm out for the Titan did help to reduce noise as did the fan mate and with little effect on the temperatures, but when I swapped the 50mm for the Fractal just this morning I found a 10 degree jump in temperatures when running at a faster speed than the original one was so I assume it's pushing much less air, it is however quieter but that's no good if it's overheating as a result.

So, considering the age of the thread concerning these issues I was wondering if maybe there have been some advances or new manufacturers popped up with better offerings, so my question is, what would you're recommendations be for 30mm and 50mm fans?

Thanks in advance

Russ
I'm not sure there's such a thing as a quiet 30mm fan. The problem is that as you make the fan smaller, a smaller fraction of the area is available for the blade, which mean they have to spin quickly to move a sensible amount of air. Short of somehow attaching a bigger fan, I'm not sure there's much you can do. Sorry Sad
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.
And that folks, is why I bought a fanless HTPC :p

Anyhow, sorry to hear about your troubles. In my experience small fans are a pain in the behind and I have little solid advice to give. One question though, what is the "from - to" 10 degree temperature rise? Although lower temps are usually better, it's not necessarily so that a 10 degree rise will lead to actual overheating and/or component degrading.
HTPC: LibreELEC 7 on Shuttle XS35GTv2 & Raspberry Pi 3
NAS: NAS4Free 2x 3TB Raid1
80 to 90. As for fanless I'd love to but I have decided to go for a Revo R3700 instead as they're higher spec, similar price and nice and quiet.

Bye bye Asrock, I appreciate you introducing me to the world of HTPCs but you are the noisy girlfriend I had before finding the true love, away with you! Smile
I don't know about prices in your country, but if you don't need Windows and only stream your content from a server or similar, then you can get for example a Shuttle XS35GT (Atom D525+ION2) + small SSD + 4 Gb RAM for roughly the same price as the Revo. It streams full 1080p without hesitation (XBMC Live) and is perfectly quiet, and I mean as in "no way to even tell that it's on, even with your ear an inch away".

See my sig for a link to the manufacturer and this thread for more ideas.

Edit: And aye, 80-90 is definitely way too high. My XS35GT hovers around 60+ when playing HD.
HTPC: LibreELEC 7 on Shuttle XS35GTv2 & Raspberry Pi 3
NAS: NAS4Free 2x 3TB Raid1
I just bought two of these for my HTPC build:

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=58476&vpn=...l%20Design

Together they're quieter than the one 60mm fan I had. You can still hear the fans, but only when there's no media playing. The second you start something you won't hear the fan at all. I haven't had any heating issues since installing them. I use one to blow across my processor/heatsink and the other as an exhaust.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
30mm and 50mm quiet fan recommendations?0