Win7 HTPC not working right for gaming.
Hi all. Have my XBMC PC working great under Win 7. Problem is games look terrible on it. All kinds of tearing and issues where the gameplay is bad. I have the games set to 1920x1080 but they screen is not filled. I have space around all 4 corners. I have an AMD Radeon 6870 and am playing older games like Crysis 1, COD 5, etc. I should be able to max everything with these older games and this card.

Are there setting somewhere that would affect video performance?

I have an AMD Phenom II, 8 GB ram and SSD drive. I mean this should fly.

I do have the latest vid card drivers as of last week’s latest WHQL release.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I presume windows maximises your screen area?
Maybe try uninstalling and re-installing the 12.1 release of drivers?
You may be suffering from overscan, this is fixable in the driver settings of gfx card.

Are you launching these games from within xbmc?
weird error :S
Love XBMC too check this -> HERE (Last Updated: 25/01/2012)

check out the xbmcmediacentre.com competition!

My hate campaign on optical discs started young, sorry I can't help it. :rolleyes:
Yes windows maximizes the screen area and xbmc movies play full screen. Not launching the games from xbmc either. How to fix overscan? Is this an option in catalyst?
have u touched any underscan/overscan settings in AMD CONTROL PANEL ?
No. All I had to change in xbmc to not have issues with playing movies full-screen was some settings within xbmc only.
so your desktop wallpaper example,
it takes all the correct space on your HDTV screen?
all 4 corners are ok in 1920x1080?
that is correct
Maybe do a repair install of Windows 7?
Love XBMC too check this -> HERE (Last Updated: 25/01/2012)

check out the xbmcmediacentre.com competition!

My hate campaign on optical discs started young, sorry I can't help it. :rolleyes:
and for what its worth, I have the PC client version of angry birds on there and it plays full screen
problaze Wrote:Maybe do a repair install of Windows 7?

So just rerun the install disc on boot and do repair install? what exactly does this do?
does your HDTV have an image option called "JUST SCAN" or "FIT SCREEN" ??
Yeah it does. I think its called "Just Scan" I will check this setting when I get home tonight.
if so, when playing games,
try that JUST SCAN option and see if its better
will do. thanks eskro as always
Alright so I do have the Just Scan option, as well as Zoom, 16X9, 4X3 and one other. The problem is my TV is only allowing m to select either 16X9 or 4X3. What could cause this?

I am going from HTPC to HDMI switcher box to HDTV. I don't know what is causing the limited aspect ratio options. Very strange.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Win7 HTPC not working right for gaming.0