Apple remote up/down = changing volume
Confirmed, Candelair fixes the issue.
Doubly confirmed. In my case it was a Harmony remote rather than Apple remote. I tried several of the hacky solutions and they didn't work for me. Candelair was simple and fixed it for good.
LibreELEC 10.0.4 * ViMediaManager or TinyMediaManager | Raspberry pi 4b
Sharing media from NAS via NFS (optical out to receiver, HDMI to TV) | TV remote with CEC / Bluetooth keyboard
Question 
What about the Candelair solution on 10.9 (Mavericks)? I have the same issue with testing version of XBMC Frodo for OSX 64 that includes only fixes.

UPDATE: Installing Candelair doesn't fix the issue and the worst, no Apple remote is detected in XBMC.
UPDATE 2: Choosing "Universal Remote" instead of "Apple remote" in System-Remote-settings solves the issue: Apple white remote works like in MacOSX 10.6
(2013-11-20, 20:42)el_Salmon Wrote: UPDATE 2: Choosing "Universal Remote" instead of "Apple remote" in System-Remote-settings solves the issue: Apple white remote works like in MacOSX 10.6

Great find - selecting "universal remote" works for me too (with new silver apple remote) - fixes xbmc vol changing sys vol

UPDATE: Not 100% fixed but happens much less frequently

UPDATE 2: just a hunch - try to stop iTunes auto launching .. Lots of posts ..

Try turning off all wifi sync for iphones/ipads etc
http://www.thebitguru.com/projects/iTunesPatch
Make sure your remote is not paired in OS X under System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> General
Make sure your remote is not paired in iTunes under iTunes -> Preferences -> Devices
Please try this if you have the sys vol up/down issue:

1) Disable "Allow start of XBMC using the remote" in Settings/Input Devices
2) Delete /Users/<your_user_name>/Library/LaunchAgents/org.xbmc.helper.plist
3) Reboot

Worked for me.

See my post here for full details and report any outcomes in it please.
Update: This is still an issue:

1) Apple remote completely fails if XBMC is automatically launched at boot/login
2) The system vol up/down problem happens periodically
Hey all. XBMC has been my go to for everything media related. The cord is cut.

I have Mavericks and have tried everything listed above. I have been looking at this for a few hours now. I can no longer adjust the volume on my apple remote like the OP posted. It skips ahead instead of adjusting the volume. I upgraded to the latest nightly and still no love. This is frustrating because with a family, they are used to hitting menu on the remote and getting XBMC, then finding their show. Now they all need to get the mouse out, some are little kids, navigate to XBMC. After that, they need to get out the keyboard and use the + and - buttons.

What happened? Why no support for this after over a month?
Because Apple keeps breaking it and no one has fixed it yet.

However, I think you are in the wrong thread. This thread is about preventing the Apple remote from changing the system volume.
Thanks Ned. Yeah, you are right. It's about changing the system volume as well. Do you think that this problem and mine are related? I am connected with a mac mini to HDMI and was getting the system volume screen for awhile. Now that is gone, but I have no volume control on XBMC with the remote.
By default the Apple remote should only control volume when pressing up/down while a video or song is playing in full screen.
Thank you for the response!

I know! It did it for years... and now it doesn't. That's why I posted here. Driving me crazy. I would hate to think I need to wipe my machine and start fresh to see if it works again. It just skips the video ahead as the OP stated his did as well. Is there a setting where I can remap the remote to work for volume again?
Can you get us a debug log (wiki) of when you are pressing up/down during playback?
I will do that today and post it.
I too have been having really strange Apple Remote issues on Mavericks.

Two things to try:

1) Check TV for IR interference - try the tunnel test and/or change the TV ECO and Frame Creation settings - see here for example

2) Try (temporarily as a test)
Disable "Allow start of XBMC using the remote" in Settings/Input Devices
Quit XBMC
Delete /Users/<your_user_name>/Library/LaunchAgents/org.xbmc.helper.plist
Reboot
Start XBMC manually or with a login applescript (see here or many other similar approaches)

3) A new battery (just to rule it out)

This is driving me nuts too. I have been looking at VLC as a comparison as it has native apple remote support - initially it does not seem to show any issues .. need to quit XBMC and perhaps the XBMC helper first ..
OK. Here's what I did. I just trashed everything (everything, not just the app) XBMC on my mini and then dl'ed today's nightly. Now everything works. No issues so far! (I even have allow start of XBMC checked) I can't use the metro skin right now but I will live as long as the family can watch their shows without bugging me every 5 minutes. Volume works fine now. Thank you for the help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple remote up/down = changing volume0